• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cars from India, the next foreign invasion?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CAN THE U.S. AUTO INDUSTRY SURVIVE?
It looks like a new economical diesel pick-up and SUV will be hitting our shores! Why won't the US companies produce vehicles like these?

The first wave of foreign cars came from Europe, but they were niche cars like the VW Beetle and expensive MB sedans. Neither made much impact and GM/Ford/Chrysler/AMC thrived. Then there was the Japanese competition, which took root and really disrupted the US auto industry. The unions & industry asked for, and got import tariffs and the US auto industry thrived . . . until the Japanese overcame the tariff issue with quality.

Now we have Korean cars, generally they are of dubious quality, but are getting better. Still, Kia is often called "Crap-ia" and the Koreans now offer ultra long warranties in an attempt to calm consumer fears. On the horizon is China, with plans to bring cars to the US in short order.

And today Mahindra & Mahindra of India announced plans to bring a small diesel SUV to the US. It has 200 dealers lined up. The cars will hit the roads in 2009. Here is an earlier announcement suggesting cars will arrive in 2007. That has now been pushed back a bit, but the plans continue. Here is part of the initial article:

India’s Mahindra to Enter U.S. Market
By Alan Harman
WardsAuto.com, Dec 18, 2006 9:59 AM

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., India’s largest utility vehicle manufacturer, says it plans to enter the U.S. market next year as part of its strategy to become a global automotive company.

“In the way the global automotive industry is evolving, even to stay on top of the Indian market we need to be a global player,” he says in a statement. “We need to compete openly in markets where our vehicles have to compete against a wide range of models, price and specifications.

“That’s why we’ve entered the U.S. market, the richest and one of the most demanding automotive markets in the world. Nearly half of the world’s sales of SUVs and (utility vehicles) is in the U.S., and we want some of it.”

Alpharetta, GA.-based Global Vehicles U.S.A. Inc. has been given exclusive rights to market Mahindra vehicles. A formal announcement of the date of launch and other details will be made in second-quarter 2007.

Global Vehicles says a new website with Mahindra product information will be unveiled next April. “Stay tuned for the greatest automotive announcement of this millennium,” a company statement says.

Global Vehicles reportedly has signed on 130 U.S. dealers and is expecting another 70 in the coming months.
scorpio_pik-up.jpg
Mahindra to sell Scorpio Pik-Up in U.S.Mahindra will be the first Indian auto maker to break into the North American passenger-vehicle market, the auto maker says. It also is ahead of some European brands, such as Fiat Auto SpA and Renault SA that have left the market and not yet returned.

And here is a portion today's announcement from the Associated Press
By HARRY R. WEBER The Associated Press

ATLANTA — Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. unveiled Thursday a line of sport utility vehicles and trucks that it plans to start selling in the United States in 2009.

The roughly 50,000 vehicles Mahindra is expected to manufacture in India and sell in the United States the first year will enter a crowded market.

But Mahindra and its U.S. importer, Global Vehicles USA Inc. of Alpharetta, Georgia, say the Mahindra vehicles will be set apart by their sleek design, affordability and fuel efficiency.

‘‘The consumers are really looking for something like this, particularly with the prices at the pump,’’ William Goetze, president of Global Vehicles, told reporters at a gathering at an Atlanta airport hotel to display the Mahindra line.

Final pricing has not been determined, but Mahindra’s 2-door single-cab pickup truck will be offered in the low $20,000 range and its 4-door truck and 5-door SUV, which seats seven, will be in the mid-$20,000 range. A high-end version of the 4-door truck will be in the high $20,000 range, Goetze said.​

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
It is to be seen how well they are accepted...... I know that outsourcing to India of tech support for many products hasn't been well received by the American public. I can see it now........ you have a built in satellite phone that connects you directly to India every time that something goes wrong with the car and someone on the other end tries to explain to you how to fix it. If you ask him his name, it will be something like Bubba.... :yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
They'll be just like the Korean cars; heavier than all the competition!! Seriously, a Kia rep was training salespeople at a dealership on one of their new SUV's and he commented about how much heavier their model was than the Japanese and US models. I about choked laughing and had to leave the room. Some asked me what was so funny, and I just had to say "oh, nothing". :tiphat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Keep in mind that the US auto industry single handedly won WW2. Without the manufacturing might of the "Big Three" we wouldn't have had a chance.

When we enter a conventional war with China (not if - WHEN), without a solid manufacturing base we will loose. Period. The world knows this. I don't mean harry "I'm a traitor to my Country" reid, loose, as a political mud slinging, I've got nothing else to offer but hate ploy, but loose bigtime. As is the end of America.

The :shitHitFan: soon.

(Have a nice weekend.)

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
As a side note - If VW and Daimler can't make a diesel that passes the US government's emmissions standards, Mihandra won't either.

I don't look for a small diesel (not in a tractor) from this company any time soon.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was under the impression that VW was bringing in some diesels sometime this year? Also Daimler/Chrysler is claiming that a Jeep diesel is on the way. Not sure if these are 50 state legal.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Both are out for 2007.

Their "new" diesel technology can't keep pace with the ever changing goal post that the libs keep putting up at the EPA.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
They'll be just like the Korean cars; heavier than all the competition!! Seriously, a Kia rep was training salespeople at a dealership on one of their new SUV's and he commented about how much heavier their model was than the Japanese and US models. I about choked laughing and had to leave the room. Some asked me what was so funny, and I just had to say "oh, nothing". :tiphat:

I know you'll never see another Kia parked in my driveway! We've had two and both peices of $h-t! Trading our van in a couple of weeks.