• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oversize outer belt ?

rockhead

The belts on my 1450 look like I want to replace them soon™ . The standard fit is two 9.5 inch wide belts per side, and then my teeny little brain says hey why not up the outer one to 12 or 13 inches ? sure my grousers won't reach but with the staggered ones I could add in an extended backing plate and have some steel support out there. Local belting shop is looking through their scraps for me, fingers crossed ...

Your thoughts ?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Soon....... that is just perfect.

I would

what the heck could go wrong?

asymetrical belts is a thing. properly set up the front boggie wheel (idler) and put a little more tension on it.

You know your usage, if you think it is needed than listen to the content expert (you) and go for it.

HankScorpio

There has been some discussion of track balance in relation to narrowing wide groomers for running trails. When you narrow a track by cutting just the outer belt the track wont sit right and the inside edge is always falling down and can drag on things.
If you were to increase the weight on the outer belt by going wider then the inner edge of the track will always be riding high and might hit the underside of the body. The track runs on the bogies in the center but doesn't really have any other support so balance is an important thing. I think you should stay with a symmetrical track for this reason.

rockhead

Rats, I was hoping to boost my flotation :hammer:

Attachments

• MoreFloat.jpg
    MoreFloat.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 211

rockhead

Wish me luck, I'm goin' in ! :clap:
I took a real close look at my tracks as they are now, the drivers side one has always had a 'sag' to it and it is nowhere near the body. I talked to a local conveyor dealer and they likely have some fantastic (read inexpensive ) cuttings for me :smile:.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There has been some discussion of track balance in relation to narrowing wide groomers for running trails. When you narrow a track by cutting just the outer belt the track wont sit right and the inside edge is always falling down and can drag on things.
If you were to increase the weight on the outer belt by going wider then the inner edge of the track will always be riding high and might hit the underside of the body. The track runs on the bogies in the center but doesn't really have any other support so balance is an important thing. I think you should stay with a symmetrical track for this reason.

Poppy cock.....:thumbup:

I knew I had read a bunch of info on this here on the forum, but could not find it, stumbled on it today ironically searching for 1450 belt info.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=10097

Lastly the Buffet JR cat that is coming up for sale (soon) has what appears to be an excellent condition OEM Asymmetrical belt configuration.....

I say full steam ahead.