• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Race driver Tony Stewart kills another driver after crash & confrontation

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The question that I have to ask is was it some sort of murder/homicide or is it an unfortunate accident?

Does not look good for Stewart . . . some witnesses say after crash the other driver got out of car angry at Stewart and on track, yellow flag and Stewart approaches driver and guns it, spins back end around and hits driver. . .
The sheriff's department declined to identify the driver, who was pronounced dead at 11:15 ET Saturday, but according to multiple witnesses it was 20-year-old Kevin Ward.

The incident took place at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. Stewart and Ward were racing into Turn 2 when Stewart's car drifted into the top lane off the corner and Ward's car went spinning into the wall. According to multiple witnesses, Ward got out of his car to confront Stewart. As Stewart drove by, his car struck Ward, launching him down the track.

Video of the incident was posted on YouTube Saturday night, but has since been taken down.

The OCSD said there were no charges pending as of early Sunday morning and that Stewart has been cooperative.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nasca...igation-at-new-york-dirt-track-042049206.html

Hard to tell for sure, but that's what appears to have happened. Sounds like he guns it in this video.

Video: Tony Stewart Runs Over Driver During Confrontation, Killing Him

I'm sure he didn't mean to actually hit the guy, but???

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting out of the car on a race track and running out into traffic is asinine. No excuse. The kid was young, and probably did not know better. Reports said the kid was mad because Stewart had bumped him and knocked him out of contention ...all part of racing.
If Stewart gunned it and swung the back end around that does not sound like an accident. But when speeding around a race track the last thing you expect to see on the race track is a pedestrian.
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This happened right at the north end of my county. Stewart turned left to miss the guy and the guy advanced into his car. A tragedy for sure but young and dumb does not make Stewart culpable for his death other than he was the driver of the car the guy ran into. That track was also extremely wet since they had a ton of rain this past week up there with lots of roads washed out. The initial contact was a normal part of racing and the kid over reacted and charged at him when he came back around.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Upon the resulting yellow flag when the kid wrecked, drivers are to hold their line. The accident happened at the end of turn 2. As Stewart circled for the yellow he had other drivers front and back and IMO when he approached the end of the turn he didn't see the kid because of the close confrontation of the kid and the driver in front of him (who nearly hit the kid first). This is a tragic accident because the young driver DID NOT follow the rule of not exiting the vehicle when he crashed his car. Only if fire is prevalent is a driver to remove himself from the car, especially getting out and going on a ti-raid. Condolences to the family ............. the youngster made a bad decision in a dangerous atmosphere.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Having raced many times in my life, I know only too well about getting pissed during a race (I know that comes to a shock to everyone here - me getting pissed at something). I've been on the receiving end and on the giving end. I only raced in 2 winged sprint car races. I actually finished well, but had no money nor sponsors. Therefore, I feel as if I can speak with some sort of familiarity of being in a sprint car.

First, and foremost, I have followed Tony's career since he raced quarter midgets and know he has always been a hot-head, but not a dirty racer. You race him dirty, you bet he's going to give it back. Otherwise, he's just one of those guys who has a tremendous skill at racing anything on wheels. He has had to attend anger management courses in the past for punching a photographer. Still, that is quite different from killing someone.

Here is my take on the incident based on 1) what I know from being in a sprint car race, 2) what I know from watching Tony race for decades, and 3) what I have seen on the replay of the tragedy. First, it appears as if Tony drifted up and pinched Kevin's front end against the wall in the middle of turn 1 and 2. That was purely a 'racing thing' and it caused Kevin to crash. Then, like what happens every single summer night across the country, Kevin exited his car to point out what driver he felt did him wrong and perhaps flip him the bird; also, in his mind, showing that he was not going to be intimidated by the nationally known and infinitely more famous Tony Stewart. Tony, having raced in thousands of sprint car races, was going to do like he has done before and snap the throttle as he passed the guy on the track; throwing tiny bits of dirt at the guy for having the audacity to try to make a scene out of the wreck.

That is when something went terribly wrong. Not for an instant do I believe Tony did not see the kid. I've been there, done that, got the tee shirt. It happens all the time; the wrecked driver points at the 'offending' driver and flips him off, waives his arms in frustration or turns his rear towards the driver and pats it in the racing world known as "kiss my ass". Drivers almost expect that to happen. Tony would not have been surprised in the least. What went horribly wrong was that Tony just slightly misjudged things, the track was more slick than he thought, Tony's repaired leg hit the throttle slightly too hard, etc., and the rear of Tony's car snapped just a bit too far and hit and killed the kid. That is my personal take on the matter. However, there is no way in hell anyone will ever convince me that Tony ever intended to hit the kid. People will say "But Tony is a proven master of controlling his car". Well, guess what?, even the best make slight miscalculations.

Again, IMHO, new rules will be established forbidding drivers from entering the racing surface after an accident (which may save future lives) and Tony will either never race again, or he will never be a contender again. Tony is a hot-head, no doubt, but he is not a malicious guy and killing a young guy will haunt Tony for the rest of his life. Tony is a tenacious competitor, is a true winner, is a known hot-head, but is also an emotional guy and this is tearing him apart from the inside. I personally would be absolutely shocked if Tony Stewart goes anywhere near the NASCAR race not only today, but for the near future. He really is not a bad guy and this is horrible for Kevin Ward Jr., Kevin's family and friends, and for Tony Stewart as well. What a tragedy.

leadarrows

I never raced on tracks but I street raced for 20 years. I can make a car do just about anything I want so I know a few things as well and I agree with every word Dargo just posted.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Brent there wasn't much space between the driver that almost hit the kid and the driver that hit the kid. I believe the window from when the first driver missed the kid to when Tony hit him was small. If Tony goosed it, it was after the front of his car was passed the kid. The ass of Tony's car actually swept away from the kid (toward the infield). I ain't buying he goosed it before he approached the kid ...................

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Brent there wasn't much space between the driver that almost hit the kid and the driver that hit the kid. I believe the window from when the first driver missed the kid to when Tony hit him was small. If Tony goosed it, it was after the front of his car was passed the kid. The ass of Tony's car actually swept away from the kid (toward the infield). I ain't buying he goosed it before he approached the kid ...................

This is not a pretty video, but watch it in full screen with good volume. tragedy at track .

If Tony wanted to hit him, which I clearly stated I'd never believe, Tony would have goosed it before he reached Kevin. With my video editing program, going frame by frame, Tony goosed it just as his front wheels were even with Kevin. Normally, Tony's car would have been a few feet past Kevin before the rear would have quickly slid out before grabbing and darting back in after there was no more throttle. Even without an editing program, I think you can start and pause quickly enough to hear and see what I'm talking about. Also, remember that the sound would have a very slight delay to the visual.

Otherwise, one would say Tony just drove over him. Didn't happen. Tony would never have done that. Or, that Kevin walked into Tony's car. Again, that just doesn't happen. I still see it as a freak accident as I described above. No matter what, it is a very, very sad situation. I'm glad it is not my job to make any official determination.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed, I tried to see if he might have slipped on the traditional soppy dirt track. I just didn't or couldn't tell ......

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed, I tried to see if he might have slipped on the traditional soppy dirt track. I just didn't or couldn't tell ......

Yes, I'm very glad I do not have to decide. I think you'll agree with me that this will really tear up Tony mentally since, even though he has a temper, he would never do anything like that on purpose.

Also, to be totally honest, if there is a video from the outside, I don't think I would watch it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Not for one second do I believe Tony did this on purpose, contrary to my son's opinion. After watching the video numerous times, Kevin was so far out into the track that he had to retract his arm to keep from the driver in front of Tony hitting him. The rear end of Tony's car did swerve out away from him when he goosed it. Probably just a show of intimidation.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Not for one second do I believe Tony did this on purpose, contrary to my son's opinion. After watching the video numerous times, Kevin was so far out into the track that he had to retract his arm to keep from the driver in front of Tony hitting him. The rear end of Tony's car did swerve out away from him when he goosed it. Probably just a show of intimidation.

It sounds like you view it as I. I positively will never consider it even a remote possibility that Tony hit him on purpose; no way. From there, all I really want to say (which, IMHO, is far understated in the media) is that I really feel for Kevin Ward Jr.'s family and friends. It is pretty well a tragedy that leaves me at a loss for words to express my condolences. I certainly think this is a horrific accident we will hear about for a while. As I mentioned before, I am glad it is not up to me to sort through exactly what happened.

RIP Kevin Ward Jr.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
A previous business partner of mine is very good friends with Tony's father and he tells me that, without any question, Tony will announce his retirement from all auto racing and is selling out his ownership of his NASCAR teams to remove his name from the sport. Apparently he did intend to "buzz" Ward for walking towards him and just simply screwed up, and his slip killed a young man.

It sounds like Tony is really distraught and has only slept a few hours since the accident. He wants to address the public and Kevin Ward Sr. himself and "man-up". I'm not sure what will actually happen, but Tony is positively taking this much harder than all but those who knew him the best thought. Those who really know him know he is a hard nose racer, extremely competitive, but definitely a good guy at heart.

leadarrows

That is a big mistake. He could not have known the kid would step in that close. That kid caused it, Period. Even if you are buzzing someone they can step back instead of charging in. If he says shit like that he will end up in jail.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a big mistake. He could not have known the kid would step in that close. That kid caused it, Period. Even if you are buzzing someone they can step back instead of charging in. If he says shit like that he will end up in jail.

My guess is that is why he is only really talking to those who have his best interest (and not best interest for him being their paycheck) in mind. As I said, I do firmly believe he is extremely distraught and just feels terrible. He is really a loyal and soft hearted guy inside his tough guy persona. I wouldn't doubt if he hasn't changed his mind on what to do a dozen times and, at the behest of others, has not made any public statement yet.

I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes. He really wants to do the right thing now, but exactly what is that?

leadarrows

I could only say for me...me... I would be thinking ...damm I shouldn't have gotten so close dern fool step right into me.

It is OK Tony feels bad but the kid made it happen not him. As long as I knew that, I could let go after the shock of it wore off.

But that's me...

That you know what you do and are posting it means it is out of Tony's hands. He is going to get crucified.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tony's back in the car this weekend. He looked visibly shaken during the press conference.

I didnt see the conference but I did read that he would be back in the driver's seat. It will be interesting to see how he does in the race.

leadarrows

I could only say for me...me... I would be thinking ...damm I shouldn't have gotten so close dern fool step right into me.

It is OK Tony feels bad but the kid made it happen not him. As long as I knew that, I could let go after the shock of it wore off.

But that's me...

That you know what you do and are posting it means it is out of Tony's hands. He is going to get crucified.
Sometimes I enjoy being wrong. I hope this all turns out to be one of those times.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes. He really wants to do the right thing now, but exactly what is that?

I saw Tony today and, in no way do I think he was doing any acting job. Whether it is accurate info or not, I don't know, but I have heard that Tony has made his decision to return to racing partly based on Kevin Ward Sr's request that his son's death not be known as what took Tony Stewart away from millions of fans. Again, not first hand word, but Ward Sr said he did not think his son would not want Tony to be further punished for life by not racing. As do many others, I personally believe that Tony really is taking this tragedy hard and sincerely wants to do the right thing by the Ward family.