• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mini forklift project, and some winch questions

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Came across a picture on the interweb of a very smart example of a garden tractor converted to a mini forklift. I thought it would be a particualrly useful tool, especially doing engine changes. here is the pic of what I am aiming for (only smaller)

So seeming as I have an extra chassis laying about its just asking to become a forklift.
Here is the picture when I started tearing the old mower down. The front axle is siezed and broken, the engine is temporarily dead so I will swap it out and fix it later. Of course, it is also the wrong way round! The seat is becuse I got tired :eek:

Now the current picture, front axle fixed with the welder and some bits and bobs from the heap. Engine changed, gearbox reversed, steering column moved to the new front end.

So now the question. I was planning on using a winch to power the lift. Would this work? Would the winch be able to hold the load up? Any better ideas?
Thanks

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
So now the question. I was planning on using a winch to power the lift. Would this work? Would the winch be able to hold the load up? Any better ideas?

As you Limeys say. "Brilliant!"

I think the only problem with an electric winch is going to be the holding brake. Unless you gear it through a worm drive gearbox or have a brake on the motor, the lift mechanism will be in free play when the motor is not turning, causing your load to always fall to the down position.

Perhaps a hydraulic cylinder in a vertical orientation? But then you have to deal with a resevior and plumbing.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the winch doesn't have a mechanical brake, it will slowly release.

Some winches come with the mechanical brake included, others don't (but the brake can be purchased).

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
They were commercially available for the Bolens HT series tractors and were next to useless. couldn't pick anything up of weight and the maneuverability was next to impossible. You are trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Junk..

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, sounds like I need one with a worm gear or with a brake. Something like a superwinch, but that might be a bit pricey.
Found one, braking to full rated load, and cheap too!

Brian, can I assume that those that dont mention the lack of brake have one, do the ones with power in/out have brakes?

Junk, you must not have made things like this before, if it isnt good enough you improve it until it is. The steering lock is very tight.

Vin, I would like it on a power winch so its fast to raise and lower for moving pallets around, but your comment give me an idea
hand wormdrive winch
If I attached a motor, maybe by chain or belt (to allow some slip so it cant be overloaded) this might do the job, and its worm drive so it will lock. Hmmm, more ideas to think about

Thanks

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
Brian, can I assume that those that dont mention the lack of brake have one, do the ones with power in/out have brakes?
"those that dont mention the lack"

Hmmm, let me decipher that statement... (pause)... or not.

Anyway, the Warn, Ramsey and other winches that are purchased for ATV's and such do not come standard with the mechanical brake. If you have a load on it, it'll slowly allow the cable out. But, each of these winch manufacturers offer a brake for the winch that'll lock it. I think it's about $60 for the part.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
CJ, the lifting hoists are AC so no good on 12V. Are the winches you use the high end ones with power in/out?

Nah Brian, makes perfect sense, took me a minute to work out meself though, 'those that dont mention they dont have one'.

Whats this dynamic brake selie they talk about? Are all brakes created equal?

I guess another option would be to have some sort of cable operated clamp to hold the load and to slow it when lowering on the actual trolley itself.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
A quick update,
got alot more work done, steering is done, wiring is done, the engine goes on the key, seat done. I started on the clutch linkage but the drill broke, so thats on hold. Other than that though, its a go. nearly ready to start on the forklift part :thumb:

and just for comparison, heres what it looked like to begin with

cj7

Yes the ones I use on the jeeps are recovery winches. #9000 rated. Sorry I did not notice they were all AC.

Something you may want to consider is that a 12v winch does draw a bit of power. The charging system may not be able to handle the strain if you are using it often. I use a dual battery system on the jeeps.

Of course you may just want to put it all together and see what it does.

Or maybe you can get a regular 12 volt car size battery mounted someplace. An Optima would work nice.

interesting project to say the least!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Cj, thanks for the info again.

I'm pretty sure that the charging system wont run it, but I have a nice big fat alternator off a car sitting in the shed just dying to be run off the PTO ;)

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok, its a mover!

Drove it around a bit today, quite good fun, the rear steering gets a bit exciting on the slopes! If you put it on full lock and drop the clutch you can get some decent donuts going :D

Dont have the cash for a winch right now, and no metal for the tower either, so for now its just for driving around :D

My stuff might not be as big as you guys but I've got more of it! :yum: Nearly a tractor for every use!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Change of plan on this one. Winches are too expensive, so I figured I'd just mount the boom from the engine hoist on the front of it.

I ran some large angle down the chassis to keep it strong, and I need to add some bearings to keep the axles from breaking. It should be enough to handle what I want it too.

A quick pic to demonstrate the idea

03-12-06_1548.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, neat idea and probably could be very useful, but one thought jumps to my mind: counterweight!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, counterweight will probably be in the form of a real beefy bumper. I need something to protect the engine anyway.

Got the boom mounted up, still need to do some bracing. Even without the bracing I could hang from the end of the boom, the back was a little light though. I weight 140lb, so a 150lb lift will be quite reasonable. Though I shouldnt think it would be long before I try more. :D
12-12-06_1601.jpg

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
My stuff might not be as big as you guys but I've got more of it! :yum: Nearly a tractor for every use!

Mith.. I think you could trade in all your small tractors for one big(bigger) one!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I used to have a bigger tractor, but it was a little unnecessary for 2/3 acre. Then again, so is all these GTs, but they are easier to hide :yum: