• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

reckless on the internet

kitty

text_size.gif
Medical students reckless on Internet, sometimes at patients' expense

http://www.health.com/health/

In 2007, a resident surgeon snapped a picture of a patient's tattoo -- the words Hot Rod on his penis -- and shared it with colleagues, making international news when the story was leaked to the press. At least the resident didn't post the picture on the Internet.
In the age of Facebook and YouTube, medical students might post content that violates patient privacy.

corner_wire_BL.gif

A new survey suggests that with the rise of blogging and sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, such a thing could happen. In fact, 60 percent of medical schools have had students post inappropriate or unprofessional information on the Web, according to a study in the September 23/30 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Most of the time, the information was related to the student's own behavior, including drunken, drug-related, or sexually suggestive images or comments, as well as the use of profanity or discriminatory language.
But six schools, or 13 percent, reported incidents in the past year that involved content that violated patient privacy. For example, some students blogged about their experiences with enough detail to identify patients, and one student posted patient details on Facebook. Most of the time other trainees told the dean about the indiscretions, but in two cases, patients or their families blew the whistle. Health.com: Medical mistakes: More common than you think
"We expected to find incidents of unprofessionalism, but the number was higher than expected," says lead study author Dr. Katherine C. Chretien, of the Washington, D.C., VA Medical Center.
Less than half of schools currently have policies in place to police or punish such behavior

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Throw 'em out over violating HIPAA privacy.
I've talked about personal experiences here aplenty, but wouldn't dream of using real names or even my place of work.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am not a fan of Facebook, Twitter or any other site as such. We just read an article here about business's investigating potential employees using Facebook. I have seen my kids get hurt because friends can't really show emotions when talking.

Just a bad place to be I guess. Thanks for sharing that one.

murph

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, ok.. I've mentioned Cookie.. but that's not her real name.
My little 89 real old rezzie who self propels herself around with one foot in a w/c shouting HEY! Get over here!
She used to be a nurse herself, and is the only one allowed to roam around at will and sit behind us at the nurses station.
She's a little bossy boots. Love her lol

kitty

Well, ok.. I've mentioned Cookie.. but that's not her real name.
My little 89 real old rezzie who self propels herself around with one foot in a w/c shouting HEY! Get over here!
She used to be a nurse herself, and is the only one allowed to roam around at will and sit behind us at the nurses station.
She's a little bossy boots. Love her lol
ha ha yea thats the best kind of resident to have IMO:biggrin:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
ha ha yea thats the best kind of resident to have IMO:biggrin:
:D
I love them the best, they flock to me for some reason LOL
You know as well as I do Kitty that you have to take the time to come down to their level and talk to them.
I am sure you love yours to pieces and are surrounded by the ones who appreciate your heart regardless of the state of mind they are in.
At any given time, no matter what wing of the facility, you can count on being surrounded by them.
I'll tell you about Carl sometime.. whoa.. he was going ape until I distracted him long enough for a jab of IM Ativan (which isn't easy to administer).
Time and patience is the key.

kitty

i agree PG!! i had one resident that was real close to me she would follow me all over and even fling the door open to another residents room just to follow me in the room!! a nurse had to give her meds to calm her down bc i couldnt let her in that room with me.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
oh u mean ur crackberry?? he he

hey I have gotten to really like it. I love the fact I can answer my emails right away instead of when I get back in the office and have 50 of them waiting for me to answer. I love being able to check my calendar on the road.

kitty

hey I have gotten to really like it. I love the fact I can answer my emails right away instead of when I get back in the office and have 50 of them waiting for me to answer. I love being able to check my calendar on the road.
yea how many ppl do u butt dial???????

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
No butt dial. I usually keep my phone on my passenger seat or it is in a case that automatically locks the phone.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
i agree PG!! i had one resident that was real close to me she would follow me all over and even fling the door open to another residents room just to follow me in the room!! a nurse had to give her meds to calm her down bc i couldnt let her in that room with me.
:smile: I have a few girls (and guys) just like you.
The residents are nuts about Kevin because he cares, and they follow Amanda around too.

You go girl!
Keep showing the love and make a difference where you work.
I am sure you are one in a million. ;):flowers:

kitty

:smile: I have a few girls (and guys) just like you.
The residents are nuts about Kevin because he cares, and they follow Amanda around too.

You go girl!
Keep showing the love and make a difference where you work.
I am sure you are one in a million. ;):flowers:
;)