• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Foreign vehicles have better longevity eh?

Reaper497

Young Buck
Site Supporter
Man's '91 pickup passes the 1M-mile mark

GRESHAM, Wis. - Frank Oresnik's trusty pickup truck — he calls it "the old girl" — passed the 1 million-mile mark with a camera crew filming the event and a public-radio audience listening in. "I can't tell you how much fun it was," he said. "It was really humbling, all this interest."

Recent news stories told how Oresnik had just 1,200 miles to go before reaching the milestone in the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado that he bought with 41,000 miles on it in 1996 and used in his business, distributing seafood and steaks in the upper Midwest.

At the time, he was getting his latest oil change — the kind of regular maintenance he credits with helping to keep the truck going so long.

He said he's had the truck's oil changed more than 300 times. It's had so many changes that the oil pan drain plug had to be rethreaded several times, he said, and "you never hear of that."

He passed the million-mile mark Friday in southeastern Wisconsin while on his way back home to Catawba, located in the north in Price County, about an hour west of Rhinelander. He was on County Highway V southeast of Fond du Lac.

On hand was a film crew from Chevrolet's public relations and advertising company, and he was speaking live to Robert Siegel, host of National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

A news crew from CBS had been with him earlier in the day.

"I wont say it was relief ... it was exhilarating," Oresnik said later during a stop in Gresham where he has one of his longtime customers. "This truck has been so dependable over the years." Now that it's made history, the truck could be headed back to the automaker or Shell Oil. Oresnik said there's been some interested in GM or Shell Oil buying it.

O did they mention it was a Chevrolet?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It used to be news when a Cummins diesel powered Dodge pickup passed the million mile mark, but now that is very common. My neighbor who commonly runs 25k between oil changes (on the cheapest regular oil he can find) has 850k on his and it's still running fine.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Theres no doubt that we ("America Auto manufacturers " )have come a long ways since the 1950's .I can remember back when if a car had 50,000 mles it was worn out . Now a car with that milage is just breaking in and starting to run good .:thumb:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Theres no doubt that we ("America Auto manufacturers " )have come a long ways since the 1950's .I can remember back when if a car had 50,000 mles it was worn out .
1950's? GM built one in the 80's.

I bought a Chev Citation new, and I waited until they had built about 400,000 of them to give them time to work the bugs out.

It arrived with 5 separate oil drips - front main seal, AC compressor, etc. It had the legendary glass beer bottle rolling around inside the left quarter panel all 4 years I owned it; any number of warranty repair requests failed to remove the racket. The clutch cable broke in the first 6 months. (as I coasted down to the stoplights going through Placerville, incidentally). The galvanized?? front license plate support was solid rust at 9 months, before it had seen its first winter!

I put my knee through the front seat cover at the 2 year point, reaching over to roll down the opposite window before driving off.

Replaced the clutch at 35k, by 45k the cam had gone flat so it wouldn't go over 50mph but the clutch was slipping so bad again it wouldn't hold 50mph anyway. Many, many more problems, so many I've forgotten most of them.

I got $600 trade in on a new Trooper that still had its original clutch when I traded it at 135k, proving the Citation's two worn out clutches weren't driver error.

I'll never buy another GM car just out of spite.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
:whistle:

The nation's largest automaker announced the latest round of buyouts as it reported another loss on its core auto operations in the fourth quarter, which combined with charges taken earlier in the year left GM (GM, Fortune 500) with a company-record $38.7 billion net loss for 2007.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/news/companies/gm/?postversion=2008021212

Hmmm . . . my wife's going to probably buy an Envoy this weekend. Not sure how I feel about it but I hope it is better than you Citation!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Well at least you're buying it at $4,000 less (fleet average loss) than their cost to build it.

I don't know if that's good news or not.

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey.... some people live till 120 years. Obviously the exception not the standard.