• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backs up cameras

Sno-Surfer

How many of you are running or have experience with back up cams?
4track has one and has sent me the model etc for his unit but curious if anyone else has one or an opinion of a good one? So far I think I’m going’s to order the same as 4track but I couldn’t find that model again. I’ll look harder though. It’s a little confusing shopping for them. I think several are the same unit under different names. I would be using it of course for backing up but also for keeping an eye on the kids when they are being towed behind. Last weekend a couple of them had long walks because I didn’t see them drop the rope, lol!
I was also considering using an iPad for the monitor and wondered if anyone has done that? But again I might lean toward a wired version vs wireless so I don’t have any static or connection issues.
Seems like you can get a decent set up for $100 or less.
Love to hear some opinions as this is not my forte. Thanks!
(By the way, this weekend is looking good for more snow!)

I use a backup cam----its great---I use mine for grooming ----I build drags and use it to study how they work and also watching my drag and how it grooms in the woods and in open fields and there is a difference----I bought mine on amazon---the other thing I did was order a bigger monitor----that makes it a lot nicer

Sno-Surfer

Thanks for the links and info. I just ordered this unit. Think it’s the same one that 4track has but under a different brand name.

F8634992-D63A-4598-B0E9-B319A0455998.jpg

9B78F525-866B-49D2-B409-334B9F258E4F.jpg

I’ll let you all know how it works once I get it and hook it up.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
When I restored my Cat I decided to go with a Garmin GPS car system mounted on the windshield so that I could use it with other vehicles if I chose to. I had the camera mounted on the rear above the hitch area. Had the camera hardwired under the cab liner. It works great in my situation. The world of electronics has evolved rapidly since then and if I could have found a reliable wireless system I would not hesitate to install it. Do it you won’t be sorry. They are handy.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
see 4track for all your geek questions, he is wired

hey sno drifter, with that there confused sno cat, these guys just answered your question about a back up camera

fyi sno surfer dude, no big deal, the kids are young, besides, don't think they will be dropping the rope anytime soon, LOL

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a snow cat of any sort but do have a question.

Does the rear of your machines get covered with snow or slush? If so, where do you mount the camera?

I know the camera on my pickup is pretty much worthless when you get snow. The snow/slush swirls back to the tailgate and covers up the lens.

mine is up high---and my snow dust stays low----this is the one on my geo tracker on mattracks

Attachments

• 2018-11-29 16.04.56.jpg
    2018-11-29 16.04.56.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 191
  • 2018-11-29 16.05.16.jpg
    2018-11-29 16.05.16.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 191

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine is mounted under the hitch receiver on the 1402. It has been in use for 2 years and so far it hasn't gotten obscured with snow. But I'm not going down the freeway at 70 either.
I got it on ebay for 16 bucks and is wired. I would have liked to have had it at the top of the rear cab, but the rear cab on this cat is removable like a camper. I may get a wireless unit and mount it high for keeping an eye on the groomer. (If we ever get enough snow to use it)
They are so cheap now you can afford to have two.

Attachments

• 20171227_165856.jpg
    20171227_165856.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF1510.jpg
    DSCF1510.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF1528.jpg
    DSCF1528.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 134

Sno-Surfer

Thanks turbinater. I am surprised how cheap they are. I just got mine and will hook it up in the next few days. I could really use this because I’m always towing my kids behind and I can’t see or hear anything in the cab.