• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat skiing 2017-2018 season

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
so, ski the EAST? WHY?

you never never never get snow like the WEST has!

it's like the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like we are headed home to 1-2 feet. Tucker looking forward to it. Each year I get more West and close to Colorado winter base camp!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
so, ski the EAST? WHY?

you never never never get snow like the WEST has!

it's like the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working!

I grew up skiing in the east. (My wife refers to as as an "Eastern Boy". But she says it with such disdain that one would think an eastern boy was one step above pond scum - maybe.)

But PP is right. There is almost universally a lot more snow out west, and the quality of the snow is much better, and we have a lot of sunny days with blue skies.

Eastern skiing is characterized by lots of very cold and gray days skiing on lots of ice. I remember cutting class one day in college and going skiing at Stowe. Among their lifts they had a single chair. At the bottom in the lift line a guy handed you a blanket with a hole cut for your head. At the top another guy collected the blankets and he told me I needed to go inside as my nose was white with frostbite.

Another time I went skiing at Killington with some buddies. It started raining and Killington handed out large, clear garbage bags. You tore a hole for your head so you didn't get (too) soaked. It was miserable, but I didn't want to be the guy who gave up...

Eastern skiing...Been There, Done That: No Thanks...

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
East makes better ski/boarders. Was saying today we better only come west end of our season or we wouldn’t want to go ice skating again.

It’s amazing that mountains don’t allow snowboarding out here! I do both so it works out for me but I will say Deer Valley is something else! Guess the skiers have all the money.

Quite treat for us out here! Last day tomorrow then back to the ice. On our way to 20 days on the slopes for the season.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Toss me your keys- going to be over a foot at your house to the airport, so I'll come pick you up!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
East makes better ski/boarders. Was saying today we better only come west end of our season or we wouldn’t want to go ice skating again.

It’s amazing that mountains don’t allow snowboarding out here! I do both so it works out for me but I will say Deer Valley is something else! Guess the skiers have all the money.

Quite treat for us out here! Last day tomorrow then back to the ice. On our way to 20 days on the slopes for the season.

There are three resorts in the US that don't allow snowboarders: Mad River Glen in Vermont and Alta and Deer Valley in Utah. Alta is somewhat of a throwback in time. Lots of die-hard skiiers who don't want change.

Deer Valley is known for their grooming, their customer service and their food. Deer Valley limits their ticket sales. That's not all that unusual, and I'm not sure if it's urban legend or not, but supposedly the limit is not based on uphill lift capacity, but rather the capacity of their on-slope restaurants.

They survey their customers extensively and every year or so, and the customers resoundingly do not want snowboarders. But Deer Valley is also OMG expensive. My recommendation for visitors is Solitude. I've never had a bad experience there. Being on the west side of the Wasatch Mountains they get more snow than the resorts in Park City.

About two years ago Deer Valley bought Solitude. Then Deer Valley was sold, though the former Deer Valley owners kept ownership of Solitude.

If you're coming to Utah to go skiing and/or snowboarding I definitely recommend Solitude. If you're a skier, I also recommend Alta for the experience. And though it's out of the way, I'd also suggest Snowbasin. During the 2002 Olympics the steep events were at Snowbasin: Downhill, Super-G, Giant Slalom and Slalom. One downside of Snowbasin is there is no night-life close by, or on-mountain lodging

Aaron Tucker

There are three resorts in the US that don't allow snowboarders: Mad River Glen in Vermont and Alta and Deer Valley in Utah. Alta is somewhat of a throwback in time. Lots of die-hard skiiers who don't want change.

Deer Valley is known for their grooming, their customer service and their food. Deer Valley limits their ticket sales. That's not all that unusual, and I'm not sure if it's urban legend or not, but supposedly the limit is not based on uphill lift capacity, but rather the capacity of their on-slope restaurants.

They survey their customers extensively and every year or so, and the customers resoundingly do not want snowboarders. But Deer Valley is also OMG expensive. My recommendation for visitors is Solitude. I've never had a bad experience there. Being on the west side of the Wasatch Mountains they get more snow than the resorts in Park City.

About two years ago Deer Valley bought Solitude. Then Deer Valley was sold, though the former Deer Valley owners kept ownership of Solitude.

If you're coming to Utah to go skiing and/or snowboarding I definitely recommend Solitude. If you're a skier, I also recommend Alta for the experience. And though it's out of the way, I'd also suggest Snowbasin. During the 2002 Olympics the steep events were at Snowbasin: Downhill, Super-G, Giant Slalom and Slalom. One downside of Snowbasin is there is no night-life close by, or on-mountain lodging

I love the Wasatch Mountains! skied them all when I was going to college at U of U. And yes i've snowboarded down Alta. Best thing is its only 30min from SLC to Brighton! they still except a green pass there :idea:
would love to see a jamboree in Utah

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Don't want to say to much but I heard a rumor about an epic Utah event in the future. I heard that Utah doesn't have any snowmobile or snowcat restrictions. There might even an amazing location picked out.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't want to say to much but I heard a rumor about an epic Utah event in the future. I heard that Utah doesn't have any snowmobile or snowcat restrictions. There might even an amazing location picked out.

heard the rumor too...

news flash... rumor is true...

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Went hiking and skiing burthod pass today. Had a great time but probably should have joined the guys on Vail pass today. Got in 3 good laps and got rides from some nice people. See everyone at the jamboree. You should definitely drive out for the jamboree.
IMG_20180310_105802.jpg

IMG_20180310_123747.jpg

IMG_20180310_135709.jpg

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Went cat skiing at Loveland ski area today. Lots of great snow and great weather. The cat skiing isn't an extra charge and I got a comp ticket so it was a free day. If you find yourself in Colorado on a nice day I recommend some cat skiing at Loveland.
IMG_20180321_115151.jpg

IMG_20180321_114353.jpg

IMG_20180321_094524.jpg

IMG_20180321_094518.jpg

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a spectacular photo that forum8fox took of my cat.
_DSR7372-HDR-Edit.jpg

Went hiking and skiing over on Burthod pass yesterday. Definitely surprised by all of the melt. Had to go up high to find snow. I was worried that the snow would be crunchy but we found some great soft snow on a steep north facing slope. Great day!
IMG_20180331_114432_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180331_094718_hdr.jpg

Sooooo much road grime!
_DSR7352-HDR-Edit.jpg

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat has been down for a while. Had 2 cylinders not firing on one side and it sounded like junk. Initially was worried it was a head or intake gasket because the two down cylinders were next to each other. Big issue was that it wasn't giving me an error code so I had no idea what was wrong. Took it to a local shop and had them diagnose it. They did a compression test at 130psi and all was good. Eventually they came to the conclusion that it was the plugs. So they got me the correct plugs from Chevy and it runs really good. Took it to Jones pass today for a test drive. The road was super rutted from snowmobiles. The cat gave me a check engine light early but I think the bouncing may have caused the issue. It still sounds like it's on all 8 but if it keeps giving me the check engine light and the same code my exhaust sensor on bank 1 is going out. Either way it did great on a fairly big hill climb. Probably a quarter mile at 35 degrees. In fact I regretted doing the hill climb on the way back down. Major pucker factor. Enjoy the pictures, I will try and get it out for some more skiing before the snow melts.
About as high as the road goes
IMG_20180427_121635_hdr.jpg
This and the next picture is from the top of my hill climb
IMG_20180427_113421_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180427_113347_hdr.jpg
They are a little tough to see but my tracks go up the middle
IMG_20180427_124536_hdr.jpg

forum8fox

Sweet to see your tracks going right up the side of the mountain! Best time of year to hill climb I think with the firm snowpack. Obviously dependent on the time of day for best results. Where was that in comparison to where we went with Aaron? Glad to hear it went well, I bet the mechanic was stoked to get out for a ride.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree, thought I was done for the season so making tracks in my cat was super fun. But if Hood was my last cat adventure of the year I doubt you all would show pitty. The hill climb was just to the right of where aaron turned you around. The snow being firm definitely aided in my ability to hill climb. It also helps when you have the best 2 track cat. Lots has been said on another thread on this subject and I thought I would have some fun with the debate. The mechanic wanted to go but couldn't because he was taking delivery of his newest wrecker.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
In fact I regretted doing the hill climb on the way back down. Major pucker factor.

Sean, Thanks for the story and the great photos. I'll be honest: I got a chuckle out of the part of your post I quoted. Been there, done that!

It reminded me of snowmobiling with the boys: I'd make it to the top of a really tough climb that involved picking my way through narrow trees and rocks toward the bottom before the trees stopped and the hill steepened. At the top I'd momentarily celebrate my success, and then look back down the hill. At that point I'd realize controlling speed in the descent was going to be almost impossible, and I had to get back through the trees under some semblance of control. "Oh, cr*p. Now what, genius"?

The embarrassing part is this happened more than once...

Glad you got the engine sorted out...

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Saw some fluid on my trailer this morning and noticed that I am missing a few somethings. Hopefully be ready for next weekend. IMG_20180428_113358.jpg

IMG_20180428_113343.jpg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm betting if those last two bolts gave up the ghost on your hill climb or decent, s#!t would have gotten real interesting, real fast!!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My first cat was a bombi and bought at sno trans . Assuming it was checked but during check over at home all the drive bolts were loose. A couple were finger tight.
I think in the manual it has a schedule for checking them.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Definitely no wear on the sprockets, probably a lifetime purchase. You guys did a great job making those.

Davenet, I am very aware how lucky I am the last bolt held. Could have been a permanent exhibit on Jones pass. "And on your right you can see the idiot in the yellow snowcat "

Hello Pontoon Princess, I'll be honest I thought I was doing pretty through machine inspections before each trip. I guess I have something new to look at.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Jim its good to know they do that. I have a couple ideas as to what happened. I'll let you guys know if they were broken or just fell out when I mess with it.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Another outing for the Colorado crew yesterday on Vail pass. The weather was great. The snow conditions were good for snowcats. We covered a lot of ground and climbed some hills. One of the places we went I haven't explored before so that was fun. It wasn't the best day for Prinoth but I am sure they will be back to kicking butt here soon. As always it was super fun snowcating with the crew. Stay tuned for the next adventure, it could be on the snow, it could be a 4x4 trip or maybe even in a boat.IMG_20180505_145850_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180505_182231_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180505_182259_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180505_174044.jpg