• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Navy missile cruiser runs aground on Hawaii reef

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
What a Pisser :sad:

One of the biggest and most technologically advanced warships based at Pearl Harbor ran aground in 17 to 22 feet of water half a mile off Honolulu International Airport's reef runway

No one was injured in the incident, which was reported around 9 p.m. Thursday, the Navy said.
Navy tugs tried early yesterday morning to nudge the 9,600-ton, 567-foot-long guided missile cruiser USS Port Royal off the sandy and rocky bottom, but were unsuccessful, officials said.
Crew members on the Clean Islands, an oil recovery vessel that was positioned behind the Port Royal as a precaution, said the water was so shallow they could see the bottom.
The Navy said divers from Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit One from Pearl Harbor and the salvage ship USS Salvor would try to tow the warship.
An initial attempt to free the Port Royal between 11 p.m. Thursday and 2 a.m. yesterday was not successful, the Navy said.
Officials said the guided missile cruiser left port Thursday for several days of sea trials. The cruiser was in drydock for routine maintenance until about a month ago. Shore-based Navy officials were being transferred to Hickam's harbor by small boat when the grounding occurred, the Navy said.
Navy officials said a high tide that might float the cruiser off the bottom was expected at 2:45 a.m. today.
"We're certainly working on bringing to bear the resources we have to move her off the current position. We're still putting that plan together," said Navy Capt. W. Scott Gureck, a spokesman for U.S. Pacific Fleet. "Obviously, the high tide gives us an opportunity to do that."
The cause of the grounding is under investigation, but the highly visible stranding is an embarrassment to the Navy, which does not take such incidents lightly.
"I'm not going to speculate on what happened," Gureck said.
Ship captains, who bear ultimate responsibility for the vessel under their command, are typically relieved of duty during such an investigation. Often, a grounding is a career-ender.
The Port Royal has been under the command of Capt. John Carroll since October. Carroll commanded the frigate Rodney M. Davis out of Everett, Wash., in 2002, and deployed to the Arabian Gulf as part of the Nimitz strike group in support of operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
He was the reactor officer on the aircraft carrier George Washington, and more recently graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.
No leak so far

Officials said the crew was still aboard, along with other Navy officials, including Rear Adm. Dixon R. Smith, commander of Navy Region Hawai'i and Naval Surface Group Middle Pacific.
Gureck said state adjutant Maj. Gen. Robert G.F. Lee and other state officials were notified of the stranding.
Lee said he was informed by the Navy that the bow of the ship was stuck on the reef.
Asked if the Navy explained how the ship ran aground, Lee said, "Just coming into Pearl Harbor at night and it got a little too close to the reef, is what was explained to me."
Gureck said, "We're keeping everyone informed. We're very mindful of the fact that we don't want any fuel leak if we can possibly avoid it."
He added yesterday morning that, "So far, there's no leak that we're aware of."
Coast Guard Lt. John Titchen said the grounding was being monitored, and overflights had been made in HH-65 Dolphin helicopters.
The Navy has jurisdiction over the stranding because it involves a Navy vessel and because it took place in the channel leading to Pearl Harbor, Titchen said.
Titchen said there was no oil sheen that would indicate an oil spill.
"We know that there is no oil spill at this point, and we're confident the Navy is doing everything it can," he said.
damage possible

It was unclear when the last Navy ship grounding occurred off Hawai'i's shores.
In July, the skipper of the San Diego-based amphibious landing ship Pearl Harbor was relieved of command after the ship ran aground in the Persian Gulf, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
The newspaper said Cmdr. Xavier Valverde was reassigned to the staff of the Naval Forces Central Command in Bahrain while the incident was investigated.
The Port Royal, which has a crew of about 360, was commissioned in 1994 and cost $1 billion.
It's one of three cruisers homeported at Pearl Harbor, along with six destroyers, two frigates and about 15 Los Angeles-class nuclear attack submarines.
Officials said there could be damage to the Port Royal's sonar dome, encased in an 8-inch-thick rubber housing protruding under the bow.
There also could be damage to the shaft and propeller and twin sets of struts that stabilize them at the stern. If there is serious damage, repairs could take up to six months, including the possible need to find a replacement rubber sonar housing for a cruiser, officials said.
Port Royal is the 27th and final Ticonderoga-class cruiser, and is retrofitted with theater ballistic missile shoot-down capability.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090207/NEWS01/902070366/1001

The Tourist

Banned
Initial reports seem to point to an unidentified black man who tangled a pair of men's underpants around one of the propellers...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Wife and daughter are there for the week, they can see it off the beach. Big news there.

Meanwhile, I got some peace and quiet here....:clap:

D

darroll

Is he related to that guy that put the Exxon Valdez on a bar?
Give me another drink, hic

:hide:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
And to think, I got in trouble for tossing a stone out off of "da Big Rock" to judge the distance and wind before I jumped off of it. I was told that I'm not allowed to throw objects into a protected area. I'm talking about the really popular cliff dive place at Waimea Bay. I'm allowed to get pounded off the bottom while trying to surf and to jump off that big rock, but I'm not allowed to toss anything into the ocean there. I have a feeling that a Navy cruiser will do more damage to a reef than me tossing a rock in.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm allowed to get pounded off the bottom while trying to surf and to jump off that big rock, but I'm not allowed to toss anything into the ocean there.
Yes, you have clearly stated the logic of Greenpeace. I'm glad that your alcohol hazed liberal college years are not lost on you :yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
And to think, I got in trouble for tossing a stone out off of "da Big Rock" to judge the distance and wind before I jumped off of it. I was told that I'm not allowed to throw objects into a protected area. I'm talking about the really popular cliff dive place at Waimea Bay. I'm allowed to get pounded off the bottom while trying to surf and to jump off that big rock, but I'm not allowed to toss anything into the ocean there. I have a feeling that a Navy cruiser will do more damage to a reef than me tossing a rock in.

You are fully biodegradable, except for maybe the short's made of nylon...

So is the navy ship, it will take a bit longer to rust into oblivion...

But that rock you threw in will take millions of years to degrade... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Initial reports seem to point to an unidentified black man who tangled a pair of men's underpants around one of the propellers...

That pice of shit stole my clothes and now beached a Navy missile cruiser!!!! :furious: REVENGE!!!!!! :soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Cool photos.

9-o8.jpg

You can see the entrance to Pearl Harbor at the top of the pic, and the runway at Honolulu airport.
2-o8.jpg

You can see Honolulu and Diamond Head in the background.
3-o8.jpg

4-o8.jpg

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Don't you just hate it when all your Navigation aids like the Radar and Depth sounders are made by the lowest bidder....

I think that is what Neil Armstrong said when asked about what it was like to stand on the moon and look up at the Earth. He said he looked at the Earth which was a dot in space, the Lunar lander, the Earth, the Lunar Lander and thought about that thing being built by the lowest bidder....

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
That's where it got stuck?! No wonder! I'd say whoever was in command at the time made not only a bonehead move, but a career move. That's not where I pictured it stuck. Hell, even I could have told them it is far too shallow there!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's where it got stuck?! No wonder! I'd say whoever was in command at the time made not only a bonehead move, but a career move. That's not where I pictured it stuck. Hell, even I could have told them it is far too shallow there!
Exactly what I was thinking. When you pull out of Pearl Harbor, you need to go straight out. Period.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Exactly what I was thinking. When you pull out of Pearl Harbor, you need to go straight out. Period.

I think when you can see the "Breakers" off you Bow by about a couple of dozen Yards, that isn't a good sign your in deep water... Maybe it was the "Babe's" on the surf boards that drew them in...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe it was the "Babe's" on the surf boards that drew them in...
Rookie mistake. The babes (either on the beach or on the boards) are way to far down the beach from where he ran aground. They're more towards the Diamondhead area. You're supposed to go out a couple miles then use your telescopes to find the best babe area then come back in there.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I am really amazed no one here on FF has blamed it on the new "Commander In Chief" yet? :ermm:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Not the "LEFT".... It is still Bush's fault and will be for another bunch of years...

Nope, you can't blame Bush for ths one as his watch was over. It belongs in the hands of the new man.............:ermm:

Now if you want to lay blame for economic chaos, Bush has dirty hands along with the other past presidents for the last 50 years............:hammer:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I don't think anyone has mentioned here that they towed most of it off the rocks on Monday. They left behind its propeller blades, the anchors, etc and 5,000 gallons of raw sewage.

The next day, its captain was gone too.

Honolulu Star Bulletin 2/12/2009

Oops. :whistling: