• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid West Sno(w) cat Clowder 2018 Feb 1-4

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you left out Frandee, one of the earliest snow cat manufactures, godfather to your beloved Thiokol

We never had a frandee at the event, but there is nice yard Yard specimen not far from the trail ride area. They are quite the machine, the Local yoopers that look at the sno shue think it is a custom Yooper build.

the id tag is there and there is no front ski, maybe we should go drag it down and leave it for Coot Bruce..... He would most likely restore it.....

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Hmmm...... Air miles expiring soon.... no plans in early February..... always enjoy meeting other snowcat folks ...

Do you guys have room for a couple more left coast enthusiast spectators to join in?[emoji300]

Looks like we'd rent a car in Duluth and drive over. Would need to figure out the lodging piece.

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
EAST and WEST coast Tucker Mafia will be staying at the Hugel House...

this is going to be EPIC !!!

do not be the one that stays home and wishes on Monday that you had gone,

this is going to be EPIC !!!

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
[emoji300][emoji300]Bags are packed![emoji300][emoji300]
I've heard many tales about the spectacular Omaha Orange sunrises and sunsets that can only be experienced in person at the "Great Pacific Clowder". Can't wait!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
another member of the Tucker mafia is going to the "Great Pacific Clowder" ( formally The mid-west sno cat clowder )

doing T-shirts and posters...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a place we need to be ?

For sure.
the event is a blast, big variety of snow cats to explore with, a great family friendly venue with super cheap chair lifts and rentals.
equidistant, centrally located event with an exceptionally significant amount of snow.

think about this little fact, 25-30% of tuckers annual production is/was sold in Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan.... tuckers everywhere :whistling: come out and bring a couple home.....

Brainerd is relatively close, so If we need to secure a couple donor cats....., I mean Brad is probably chewing some canned beaver tail in Florida or Arizona, if we bring them back full of gas........:w00t2:

Not all his cats are orange but......

Epic snow year, Great People, get over here and make it more epic(er)

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm...... Air miles expiring soon.... no plans in early February..... always enjoy meeting other snowcat folks ...

Do you guys have room for a couple more left coast enthusiast spectators to join in?[emoji300]

Looks like we'd rent a car in Duluth and drive over. Would need to figure out the lodging piece.

Yes yes, Duluth is a great way to get in, lodging is handled in three common venues.
1) Is the Powder horn lodging association, Home owners but there privately owned chalets up for weekend and week long rentals, cheapest way to go by far.
2) franchise Motel hotels in near by cities and towns, may have to put up with a snowmobile crowd and silent sport crowd with Prius's plugged in where Diesels should be.... Quite entertaining, bit pricey as this is in season.......
3) Air B-b.

as of right now my family and friends will have some extra space. and if you are for sure coming We will grab a bigger house. we basically split the house up by snorers on one floor and non snorers on another..... BPH and a pool and sauna (Sau rymes with Cow, not saw) (Sow na)

shaping up to be an epic event with epic snow,

direct questions welcome.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Brainerd is relatively close, so If we need to secure a couple donor cats....., I mean Brad is probably chewing some canned beaver tail in Florida or Arizona, if we bring them back full of gas........:w00t2:

Not all his cats are orange but......

I'm sure there will be a few experienced drivers available if there are more cats available for the event.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the room nailed thanks to 4TrackCat. Hey Mr. Sqwrl, is it OK if we bring mid west snow home with us? Got dry.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

:slider3::skipy::brows:

Attachments

• C2EDF994-2824-45F3-BBF8-E745B2C06571.png
    C2EDF994-2824-45F3-BBF8-E745B2C06571.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 216

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the room nailed thanks to 4TrackCat. Hey Mr. Sqwrl, is it OK if we bring mid west snow home with us? Got dry.

Yooper flat-landers are very accomodating, I sure it will be fine to pack the burban or your carry on with all the snow you can scoop up......
Upon your return to tuckerville, you would be able to lay out a (snow trac/kristi,thiokol) worthy trail for recreational fun.

this photo sums up the crazy of this years snow events, the *US national clowder, open invitational* is located right in the red spot.

Here is to getting snowed in at a snow cat event......:thumbup:

Attachments

• snow cast II.jpg
    snow cast II.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 196

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So, professor gizmo squirrel

is lake superior frozen and can we make it out to the caves?

regards

the tourist

According to a farmer in Iowa, When there is less than 10" of Ice, the caves are closed. It takes quite a bit to freeze up the access to the bay.... the DNR is super safe. ( once the water is over 6' deep what's the difference ) I hear it's a quick death..... I remember in scouting when I was very young our den leader saying something like "Fighting it makes it worse, just breath in naturally......... ( her approach was perfect, I respect ice )

should some rogue snow cat operator deviate away from the safety of a/the clowder...... Hell most of that orange stuff has PONTOONS.

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVP/reports/ice/safety.html

Always practice safe ice travel........

If it stays cold, I have to believe its close to opening....

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears from looking around a bit, the recent winds we had pushed the ice we had out.
I am familiar with Pressure cracks and the weight of the snow as they work hard suting up what looks to be a safe ice sheet on lake winnebago, it is a tiny lake by comparison to Lake superior (9x26 miles) so I can't imagine the forces a sustained easterly wind did to that bay. it was a north east wind that did that ship load of ore in........

https://www.facebook.com/apostleislandsnationallakeshore/

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I do believe that machine would need to get towed for the trail ride. An automatic winner for the tow strap award! :th_lmao: That is why you have friends.... :jumprope:

thank you so much Mr KT4 for the offer of the tow rope, I carry a spare

Attachments

• DSCN3111.jpg
    DSCN3111.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 168

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
According to a farmer in Iowa, When there is less than 10" of Ice, the caves are closed. It takes quite a bit to freeze up the access to the bay.... the DNR is super safe. ( once the water is over 6' deep what's the difference ) I hear it's a quick death..... I remember in scouting when I was very young our den leader saying something like "Fighting it makes it worse, just breath in naturally......... ( her approach was perfect, I respect ice )

should some rogue snow cat operator deviate away from the safety of a/the clowder...... Hell most of that orange stuff has PONTOONS.

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVP/reports/ice/safety.html

Always practice safe ice travel........

If it stays cold, I have to believe its close to opening....

and in the summer, tucker sno cats become tucker water cats, they float !

Attachments

• DSC_0785.jpg
    DSC_0785.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 172

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now you’all be careful back there. Them folks is sly.
View attachment 95223

And By careful, VB means check your antifreeze and for the love of god, get some thinner oil in your engines..... we don't have those beautiful heat sinks like you left and righters..... I think they call them oceans.....

there is only room for 6-8 machines in the groomer barn at one time.:whistling:

It is not uncommon to swing 50 degrees in 20 hours.

we went from 40 above to -11 recently, mother nature is is a cynic.

I have been caught in mother natures snare many times. Once at the hotel in iron wood. turns out all the block heater cords/plugins are on one circuit electrically.... diesel engine block heaters randomly come on and off causing little stress to the circuit........
Well the sea caves were open that year, and Yep, there were a couple of teslas and leafs and bolts in the parking lot.... I love technology, I love tree huggers, but the lack of common sense had three pick ups, one van and four semi tractors pissed..... at each other.

If you are on the fence about coming and weather is a concern.
the 15 day outlook has highs in the 20's lows in the teens...... when its warm, it snows..... its snowing now and 6 of the next 15 days have snow balls on the image......
Epic year, epic attendees, come enjoy the outing.

100MPH

Saturday January 20th is an unofficial Pre-Clowder scouting event. This will be an informal event where you can bring your machine to work the bugs out and get some window time for new owners. I know there will be atleast a handful of machines in case anyone doubts there machines mechanical abilities! :smile5: (Pictures are from this past Sunday)

Post if you plan on coming.... :slider3: :bolt:

The Skidozer will be there for the Pre-Clowder scouting event on the 20th. I will pack the usual supplies: sea foam, anti-freeze, mechanics wire, chain saw, tow chain, hacksaw, etc....

I plan to be up north for an early am departure.

Kristi KT-4 where would you like to meet on Saturday? Early breakfast/coffee to determine the plan for the day?

Anyone going out on the 21st?

Regards,
100MPH

vintagebike

Next year we plan on heading back to the Clowder and the Colorado run too. :walking gator: So until then wishing everyone great adventures in 2018 from Steve and Cathy in McCall