• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Let's build me a bridge

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm planning on building a bridge across my creek this coming year.

Can you help?

OK, I don't have any good pics (yet) of the location, but it'll be next to here.
In this pic, it'll be at the very bottom of the pic.

Attachments

• MVC-652S.JPG
    MVC-652S.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 83

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The bridge will be just to the right of this picture.

Now, the span has to be as open as possible under the bridge. I want the lowest part of the spanning structure to be no lower than the base of the tree on right side of the pic, on this side of the bank, to pretty much the lowest part of the siding on the building pictured.
The distance is approx. 30'.

Attachments

• MVC-653S.JPG
    MVC-653S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 86

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Foot? Tractor? Car? Pickup? Semi? Interstate?

What are the load requirements?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

I like interstate but should probably go a bit less.

I need 10K minimum.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Dave,

I like interstate but should probably go a bit less.

I need 10K minimum.

WOW! :eek:

A couple of 3' culvert pipe and a whole lot of mortar and stone? Maybe you can fly Mith over for a week...them English seem to be good with rocks. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I want the lowest part of the spanning structure to be no lower than the base of the tree on right side of the pic, on this side of the bank, to pretty much the lowest part of the siding on the building pictured.
I just looked but don't have any pics handy.

The distances provided for the lowest part is that's the water line when the creek gets "a little high".

The water will come up and touch that tree (near side, right side of pic).

On the far side, the building just stays in the clear but the water will come close to the black silt fence in the background.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
WOW! :eek:

A couple of 3' culvert pipe and a whole lot of mortar and stone?
Won't work Dave. Upstream, people tried 5-6' culvert and it gets washed away.

This creek can REALLY get moving in the rainy season. A CUT or truck would get pushed downstream before making that little 30' span. Don't ask how I know...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Won't work Dave. Upstream, people tried 5-6' culvert and it gets washed away.

No no no....I mean something like this:

Bridge.gif

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
First technical question I have:
I have some plastic/poly (whatever you call it), double wall culvert pipe. I have 12 & 15" ID pipe.

I was thinking of using that for the pilasters since they'll be exposed to the water (and impacts). But, being as they don't breath like a regular sonnet tube, will the concrete dry properly? We're looking at approx. 6' from top to bottom of tube.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
No no no....I mean something like this:

Bridge.gif
Done deal, if ... You and Mith come over and build it.

I'll supply food, beverage and shelter for 3 weeks (I don't want the 2 of you milking the project...). A few bucks on the side for whatever your pleasure.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
First technical question I have:
I have some plastic/poly (whatever you call it), double wall culvert pipe. I have 12 & 15" ID pipe.

I was thinking of using that for the pilasters since they'll be exposed to the water (and impacts). But, being as they don't breath like a regular sonnet tube, will the concrete dry properly? We're looking at approx. 6' from top to bottom of tube.

I wouldn't worry about that size improperly curing.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian; Very nice setting for a bridge. I like the idea of the polypipe myself. I would think if you were to build an anchorage at either end of concrete, then set pilings at 15' span it would work nicely. For the spans, I think you're looking at steel I beam. The size could be limited somewhat, if you could put midspan supports in, something like an inverted V, with each leg anchored in to the concrete piling, and the new top of the V supporting the midspan.

The deck? Let me do some thinking, I assume you'd like wood? I envision a rustic looking bridge, that will support some real weight though.:thumb:

Clear as mud?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
As you may know, I have a 10' culvert pipe in my driveway where I cross a creek. It has been there for about 17 years. I put it in when I bought this property. I need to replace it before I concrete my driveway, so I've been looking at options for several years now. I am supposed to go look at a bridge that was built going into a subdivision on Tuesday. My buddy who is in the excavating business has had dozens and dozens of bridges built for him on various projects. Since I'll be funding 100% of this project, price does matter.

I'll be going to look at a modular bridge. It's obvious advantages are price, the ability to do it myself, and strength. Also, after installed, they have masons come out and lay stone around it to make it look like the one pictured previously here. It sounds neat to me. I'll know more about it after I see it. If you want, I'll send you some of the pics I intend to take of it as well as the copies of the brochures.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, here's my terrible attempt (using MS Paint) to give an idea of I'm thinking of doing.

The black is the culvert pipe. probably 15" ID.

The white is probably going to be 10" 30# I-beams.

The culvert pipes will be embedded into the ground for several feet.

Inside the culvert pipe, I was going to put more 10" I beam vertically which will then connect to the span beams.

I need to keep the primary creek area as an open span due to logs and debris coming down stream. I don't want anything to create a dam and start backing things up (as it'll flood my buildings).

The middle set of pipe is really on the near side bank of the creek. That gives approx. 20-24' span across the creek.

This doesn't have to be fancy so I was going to use pressure-treated 2x8's or something. The deck was going to be 10' wide.

The middle beam is to support the decking. The beams will be approx. 4' on center. Decking will overhang the beams 1' on either side.

I doubt I'll be putting any railing on the bridge.

Attachments

• MVC-653S - bridge 1.JPG
    MVC-653S - bridge 1.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 74

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I hate to throw another wrench in your plans, but is this a project the Army Corp or Conservation Department might need to get involved with?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian; This has all the earmarks of a pretty interesting project. Have you talked to any of the powers that be yet? I've dealt with county drain commisions a couple times. They can be a bunch of idiots at times, in that they don't know their own rules.

They may want a clear span all the way across the creek. Please keep us posted once you see them, I, for one, would really like to keep up on this.:thumb::tiphat::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bernie,

He's 250 miles away so I may use him for ideas or reference but too far for actually building it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Carm

Very nice bridge.
Actually, that's very similar to what I want to build.
Due to the span and the weight capacity I want, I was told not to use any sort of wood for the span supports. I was thinking of using 3 2x12's with plywood sandwiched for each support but was told I'm better off with I-beams.

Brian

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian , when You decide on the type of design give me a yell. I'd be willing to help out . John

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian , It will be my pleasure to lend a hand . Just remember , I only function from the neck down :) You might be able to Co-opt CJ7 into helping . It would give me someone to antagonize :) Rick would most likely be available unless He had to go to " Jacktober fest " . John

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

To be honest, I don't know if I'll need much help. My partner on some other ventures also owns a construction & excavating company.

I was just going to ask him to do the structure (I'll probably do the decking) as I'd venture to guess that he and his crew could do start to finish in less than a day.

Brian

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, how's that bridge project going? Did you get any final designs drawnup?:confused::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

Honestly haven't done anything with it other then line up the heavy equipment.
Spending my spare time on the bunker right now.