• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Consider contacting your local police & Sheriff's department

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you don't have any animosity towards your LEO's, think about letting them know.

I just e-mailed our police department and let them know that I as well as all others I know do stand behind them and think this reducing or de-funding of police forces is total BS.

I let them know that I'm here if they need anything. I have lots of hand sanitizer so I offered them that as well as offering my services for anything they may need (I used washing the police cars of an example of something I/we could do).

If you support your police, consider dropping a line and letting them know.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think they need to be defunded and are necessary, BUT they do need some re training, Over the passed 20 years the police started resembling Rambo instead of Andy Griffith. This in my opinion is the root of the problem. I have little interaction with the police even though my step son is a Sheriff, What little interaction I have had with random LEO has not been that pleasant. As an example when Tyler graduated from the Academy and was applying for a job the Sherriff called on a Friday when I was at the cabin, left a message on the machine that they would like to meet with us and to call back to set up a meeting at our home at our leisure. Fast forward until Monday, we got home Sunday night and I had to go to the field first thing, when I returned home it was about 10am and I went down to the shop. I was there a few minutes when my wife came running down hysterical that the Sheriff and his partner almost shot my dog. Seems that they couldn't wait for me to call them at my leisure and just showed up and got out of the car like they owned the place. Never mind there are no trespassing and beware of the dog signs everywhere. The dog went through the window after them and the wife was able to grab his collar. She got scraped up, the window screen got trashed and they had there hand on there guns. When I came up I was hot enough to FU<K. After letting them know how I enjoyed there surprise visit and what a disaster was narrowly avoided, I asked them if my dog was able to get out would they have shot my dog. Neither one answered or would look me in the eye. After I calmed down we had the interview in the driveway I did not invite them in. Current policy says anything that makes the officer feel threatened can be shot. Tyler has told me trainers drill into them that the most important thing is they go home at night. I disagree the most important thing is everyone goes home, not just the police. I think one of the biggest problems are the police unions. After they get off probation it is almost impossible to fire a cop. Even Tyler said that after I'm off probation he probably can't get fired for anything because the union would protect him. My comment is the union is not going to protect him from me so he better be doing the right thing out there. Are things out of control and over the top? Yes but they deserve some of it. They do need to change.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think they need to be defunded and are necessary, BUT they do need some re training, Over the passed 20 years the police started resembling Rambo instead of Andy Griffith. This in my opinion is the root of the problem. I have little interaction with the police even though my step son is a Sheriff, What little interaction I have had with random LEO has not been that pleasant. As an example when Tyler graduated from the Academy and was applying for a job the Sherriff called on a Friday when I was at the cabin, left a message on the machine that they would like to meet with us and to call back to set up a meeting at our home at our leisure. Fast forward until Monday, we got home Sunday night and I had to go to the field first thing, when I returned home it was about 10am and I went down to the shop. I was there a few minutes when my wife came running down hysterical that the Sheriff and his partner almost shot my dog. Seems that they couldn't wait for me to call them at my leisure and just showed up and got out of the car like they owned the place. Never mind there are no trespassing and beware of the dog signs everywhere. The dog went through the window after them and the wife was able to grab his collar. She got scraped up, the window screen got trashed and they had there hand on there guns. When I came up I was hot enough to FU<K. After letting them know how I enjoyed there surprise visit and what a disaster was narrowly avoided, I asked them if my dog was able to get out would they have shot my dog. Neither one answered or would look me in the eye. After I calmed down we had the interview in the driveway I did not invite them in. Current policy says anything that makes the officer feel threatened can be shot. Tyler has told me trainers drill into them that the most important thing is they go home at night. I disagree the most important thing is everyone goes home, not just the police. I think one of the biggest problems are the police unions. After they get off probation it is almost impossible to fire a cop. Even Tyler said that after I'm off probation he probably can't get fired for anything because the union would protect him. My comment is the union is not going to protect him from me so he better be doing the right thing out there. Are things out of control and over the top? Yes but they deserve some of it. They do need to change.

And there you have it, and I could not agree more. When LEO's are more concerned about their own hide, they have forgotten the reason for them. Protect and serve is the creed. I think to many individual cops, and many departments forget this. They watch to much COP TV and think every one is out to get them. Then they forget what we have them for.
Re education of the Police is called for on a nation wide scale. Put the military gear in the garbage can, and make them walk their beats several times a week. They should get to know the communities they serve and in the process may even learn who and what they need to check into, as public intell is priceless for good policing..

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Put the military gear in the garbage can, and make them walk their beats several times a week. They should get to know the communities they serve and in the process may even learn who and what they need to check into, as public intell is priceless for good policing..

Regards, Kirk

The militarization of the police force is something that has always worried me. My experience is that when you give people all these "toys" to play with they feel the need to use them. I love the idea of community policing but I'm afraid that we're never going to see it again. It's a thing of the past. Nobody is going to want to be walking around on 100° days when they can be sitting in air conditioned comfort in a police cruiser.

Kirk, I don't know what the answer is but it seems to me that our police are a reactionary force instead of a pre-emptive force. They wait until a crime is committed before they spring in to action instead of trying to head the crime off at the pass. That's what happens when you lose community policing.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The militarization of the police force is something that has always worried me. My experience is that when you give people all these "toys" to play with they feel the need to use them. I love the idea of community policing but I'm afraid that we're never going to see it again. It's a thing of the past. Nobody is going to want to be walking around on 100° days when they can be sitting in air conditioned comfort in a police cruiser.

Well do all workers just go home to their A/C equipped house when ever it gets hot out?

Nope.. Plenty of people actually work in the heat... (It's a dry heat anyway lol)

I am not saying they can never be in their cars, what I am saying is when possible they should become a part of the community by being present on foot with the citizens they serve.

Maybe some LOE's are not up to the task of being outgoing and friendly. Those officers should be encouraged to find another line of work IMHO...

As much as I see LOE's are paid, I see no reason NOT to expect them to get on the ground and work at being part of the community, so people recognize them, and feel safe because they actually know the officers. It is a change in mindset, for sure. Until LEO's recognize this, we will get what we have today.

Regards, Kirk

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Well do all workers just go home to their A/C equipped house when ever it gets hot out?

Nope.. Plenty of people actually work in the heat... (It's a dry heat anyway lol)

I am not saying they can never be in their cars, what I am saying is when possible they should become a part of the community by being present on foot with the citizens they serve.

Maybe some LOE's are not up to the task of being outgoing and friendly. Those officers should be encouraged to find another line of work IMHO...

As much as I see LOE's are paid, I see no reason NOT to expect them to get on the ground and work at being part of the community, so people recognize them, and feel safe because they actually know the officers. It is a change in mindset, for sure. Until LEO's recognize this, we will get what we have today.

Regards, Kirk

Agreed, A lot of LEO comes from the military and you can see it on the street, some of these guys have underlying problems like PTSD, not all but some. Enough that its a problem. Then outfit them like the military, then wonder why citizens are being treated like combatants. Give a carpenter a hammer and he wants to pound nails. Give the police military equipment and you get what you have now. I see the value of walking a beat like they used to. They would make relationships in the neighborhoods they patrol, and that would be good for everyone. Shit can the police union.