• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow trac ST4 Bogie question

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Need some input, I have a distressed ST4 that came to me with some unique modifications, with that said, I try to understand what the symptom was that led to the fix.

So here are some photos of the right side small bogie wheels. Three photos one of each truck.

One photo of the entire assembly. (the drivers side is identical)

The tires are trelleborg.
They are solid filled medium to medium firm.
The upper tire is a 522 smoothy in perfect condition.
The lowers are saw tooth. 509's (not sure of model)
There is a lower solid Ply cart type wheel in a odd postion.

OK here are my guesses as to why this is set up this way.

The Saw tooth tires are a replacement effort. solid filled to offset the 2-4ply rating. the machine came with 14 spare saw tooth trelleborgs all new.
The track Guides show evidence of contact with the front truck. the truck is bent, bending, the shock is bent, the spring has a safety installed incase it is thrown. (I am guessing that happened as there is another spring inside of the main spring)

I was reading with interest Lyndons comments about the Canadian tele mods and this machine seems consistent with most of them.

Why is the solid poly wheel in the second truck and not at the front. (I think it is to add ride height or spring rate to aid in summer time/nonsnow operation) Why i think that (the story I got on the machine is that it is ex military last used by a moose hunting outfit in AK. it was sent down state by a member here and used in couchloafers neighborhood until the motor went south.

I originally grabbed the machine for parts to keep the yellow snow master at a high level of upkeep and support. I have since grown to like the little guy and it is really fun to have another machine around while out and about. ( I have a 20 yr old son who suffers from perma-grin when operating this machine)

So I want to put the near cherry upper wheels in the foremost position in the front truck. I am inclined to put the poly wheel in the business postion as AKTIV put the brass wheel on the masters. Then put saw tooth 4 plys every where else. My concern is that I will have too much ride height or load on the front springs..... I am under the impression that the middle four boggies are designed to carry the machine, the rear wheel is a guide and tension device (Lyndon quote).......

What say you.?

Notes for thought.
I have Two very nice 300-100 Spares.(kind of want to keep them spare)
Yes Don, I will most likely do a big wheel mod If I can over-ride my purist feelings of destruction....
The filled saw tooth boggies are failing in the business postition.
The machine came to me and the previous owner extremly loose...

Attachments

• 124_7345 (Small).JPG
    124_7345 (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 124_7346 (Small).JPG
    124_7346 (Small).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 124_7347 (Small).JPG
    124_7347 (Small).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 241
  • 124_7348 (Small).JPG
    124_7348 (Small).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 240

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The center carry the weight ,your correct on that . I would think it should have the same size wheel height on those . that machine was really messed up by one of the owners and it must have been near the salt water part of its life. I am really surprised to see the white plastic drive sprockets still on it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike i have a bunch of solid rubber tires on mine the weak spot is that walking beam on the front boggie they tend to flex and crack

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Walking beam is what I am calling Truck? Correct.
wes the cracks will show up right around the spring seat as that area takes a beating on hard ground even a small rock will jolt it around pretty hard. also i have had the pivot shafts bend than break after streightening them back this explains why i ditched the whole system.