• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier J5 Starter

bishop_J5

Hey folks, I am looking for a starting motor for a Bombardier J5 it has a Chrysler 251 inline 6 engine. The J5 is from the early 70's.

Thanks

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Have you tried an auto parts store ?? They have lots of stuff for that engine at the one here. Unfortunately, my J5 has a 230 engine... still a flathead but the block is 2" shorter than the 251.

Starter is the engine part I most dread changing.... it's really buried in there !!!!

aulen2002

Be carefull, the starter for an industrial engine might not be (exactly) the same as on the non-industrial. It would probably go on, but might damage the ring gear.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I had some starter problems and had to take mine out of my J5. It wasn't as bad as I thought :smile:

Using the numbers from the starter I took out, I got this NAPA part #WIL 91061865.

This starter is from the '50s and has the solenoid as an integral part.
I have no way of telling if this will also fit a 251 but the nose and drive gear is the same as one that Boggie sent me for a 251.

The 230 was also made as an industrial engine and in production from 1933 to 1966.

Hope this helps someone :flowers:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Update !

I tried to order the starter for my 230 cu.in. engine and it was $444 :ermm:

Here is the number for the starter for an industrial 251 ::91061848 < this is like the starter in the top of the picture and is around $250 at Napa.

The starter at the bottom of the picture is from my 230 and is the # in the above post.
I found other starters that might fit but look slightly different and go on Dodge Power Wagons.

I found the solenoid for mine separately $72

Attachments

• BRstartersW.jpg
    BRstartersW.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 479

brianf

take your starter to a rebuild shop, they can rebuild it for a fraction of cost of new one,the original parts rebuilt are usally stronger than alot of the replacement offshore parts

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie & Bishop: perhaps we could prevail upon Doc, or Bob S to 'cross reference' this thread to the one on Military Vehicles. Those guy's use a lot of flat head 6's that use this starter and would likely have all kinds of sources for parts. In looking at the 2 starters in the photo, one has the type of bendix that is dependant on a spirial shaft to engage and disengage. The lower starter with the solenoid on the side is the type that the solenoid engages and disengages it. They are distinctly 2 different models. The upper one is likely 'stuck', as it's normal NON operating position is retracted, roughly the same amount as the lower unit. Often these starters ARE interchangable. But go to the REAL authorities, which you will likely find thru the Military vehicle collectors. When dodge/chrysler built the "Flat Head Six" they were the only major manufacturer that would sell to the general public. For some unknown reason Ford and GM refused as did some other engine manufacturers. This is why ALL Bombardier's and Tucker's prior to a certain date have dodge stuff. Also Street Sweepers, Paving Rollers, Air Compressors, Welding machines, Generator Set's, the huge military Searchlights, a dozen models of cars, two or three dozen models of dodge/chrysler trucks, milk trucks, ice cream trucks, mail trucks, Metropolitan delivery vehicles not made by dodge,........ all had these Dodge/Chrysler engines. It comes in a 220,230,240, & 250. With them literally producing Millions, ovr a 30 or 40 year period there's just got to be some old 'duffer's' out there that are real authorities on them, and where to get parts.

bishop_J5

Thanks Guys, I just got my starter rebuilt at a local starting motor shop. They totally rebuilt the starter with a new armature, bushings and brushes. They charged me $ 150.00 (Can). the starter is working great. I have problems when I am trying to source parts at my local auto parts stores because they don't know what to look up. They ask me for a year and model of the vehicle. But as you all know this is a chrysler, 251, inline 6, industrial engine for a 1973 Bombardier J5 and there is no listing for the Bombardier J5. Can anybody help me in sourcing parts? Is there any vehicles that were using the same engine as the J5. If so please let me know the model and years that it was used.

Thanks