• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydraulic Pump

snowbird

I've got an Eaton hydraulic pump (26011) rated at about 21 gpm. I powered it with a 12 hp gasoline engine with a chain drive in another life. Will I be able to drive it from the extra pulley on my Bombardier SV200 engine and (2) will it be enough to run the hydraulics for snow grooming equipment (probably just a blade in front and lift wheels for the pull-behind groomer)?

snowbird

Thanks for the assurance. I also found a good resource at Force America (Iowa office) who also told me a v-belt would drive the pump (probably about a 1:1 speed ratio on pulleys) and that I could power at least 2 3 x 8 inch hydraulic cylinders. I might end up with trail groomer yet.

mtmogs

The standard hydraulic pump on my 406 unimog is driven by a v-belt. It is rated at 11 gpm at 180 bar (2610 psi). I think it is near 1:1 pulley ratio. The only time the belt ever squeals is when a cylinder reaches it's stroke limit. The pump is able to operate two 4" cylinders simultaneously (albeit slowly) to tilt the ton +1/2 backhoe on and off the back deck, operates a 4" plow frame cylinder to lift an 1800# county plow pretty quickly. So...if you have any trouble driving your 20 gpm pump with a belt then you can always downsize to an inexpensive, smaller flow gear pump and still likely get the job done.

Good Luck - Paul

PS You can have a look at these hydraulic calculators to gauge your requirements from a pump:

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
If belt squealing is an issue, you may be able to install a double sheeve pump pulley that would allow more transfer of power and better "Traction" with two belts verses one. If room is a factor, then you may have to live with a supply of extra belts...

snowbird

If belt squealing is an issue, you may be able to install a double sheeve pump pulley that would allow more transfer of power and better "Traction" with two belts verses one. If room is a factor, then you may have to live with a supply of extra belts...

Thanks for the advice. I've only got one available pulley on the engine crankshaft so I wouldn't be able to run a double pulley on the pump.

snowbird

The standard hydraulic pump on my 406 unimog is driven by a v-belt. It is rated at 11 gpm at 180 bar (2610 psi). I think it is near 1:1 pulley ratio. The only time the belt ever squeals is when a cylinder reaches it's stroke limit. The pump is able to operate two 4" cylinders simultaneously (albeit slowly) to tilt the ton +1/2 backhoe on and off the back deck, operates a 4" plow frame cylinder to lift an 1800# county plow pretty quickly. So...if you have any trouble driving your 20 gpm pump with a belt then you can always downsize to an inexpensive, smaller flow gear pump and still likely get the job done.

Good Luck - Paul

PS You can have a look at these hydraulic calculators to gauge your requirements from a pump:

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

I appreciate the calculators and advice. It looks like my pump should have plenty of lift capacity since I'll probably use 3 inch cylinders and usually not run them simultaneously.