• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jim's House Rebuilding

jwstewar

Looks like we are going to be getting started on the rebuilding of our house (In case you missed it see this thread http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=11170).

We closed the loan on Friday. The builder is supposed to start early this week. I'm assuming today or tomorrow. They want to have the basement walls completed before Dec. 15. We'll see if they make it.:)

But before you can build you must demo right? Here are a few pics of the excavator tearing the old house down and the mound of debris that was left.

Attachments

• 100_2510.jpg
    100_2510.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_2514.jpg
    100_2514.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_2531.jpg
    100_2531.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_2576.jpg
    100_2576.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_2629.jpg
    100_2629.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_2509.jpg
    100_2509.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 206

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Is the new house going to be block foundation also, or are you switching to an insulated & poured foundation? We see very few block foundations here in IL, they are almost entirely poured. Given the time you are estimating foundation completion, I would guess poured.

jwstewar

Another shot of just the excavator. It was a Samsung SE-240. He says it is the baby of his fleet.:yum: He has one that I think he said has a 97 foot reach. He also has one that he never takes it back to his shop because it so heavy and costs so much to move it he takes it from job to job. You just hope that he has another job to take it to. I guess it has been sitting on the last job site now for almost 2 years.:pat: :4_11_9: BTW, we are guess Bob (the excavator) to be about 75 years old.

At one point we thought he hit the water line as we saw water start spraying up. But then the water stopped. Turns out a piece of debris turned the valve on. He just took the hoe and turned the water valve back off.:yum: :respect:

Finally a couple of shots of me and the New Holland. We had him pull this little Weaping Cherry tree out fo the ground. That little sucker was heavier than it looked. I ended up having to strap it to the New Holland - after I worked my butt off trying to get it in the loader. Funny he picked it up out of the ground like it was nothing.

Attachments

• 100_2621.jpg
    100_2621.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_2633.jpg
    100_2633.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_2593.jpg
    100_2593.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_2592.jpg
    100_2592.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_2589.jpg
    100_2589.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_2523.jpg
    100_2523.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 174

jwstewar

Dave,

Around here block I would say is the most prevalant, but poured is catching up. This builder typically does block, but since we were talking with two builders and the other builder did 8' poured, this one offered 9' poured to level the playing field.:yum: While they say the slow down hasn't hurt them, they have done some things that I probably wouldn't have gotten them to do 2 years ago.:thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,

Around here block I would say is the most prevalant, but poured is catching up. This builder typically does block, but since we were talking with two builders and the other builder did 8' poured, this one offered 9' poured to level the playing field.:yum: While they say the slow down hasn't hurt them, they have done some things that I probably wouldn't have gotten them to do 2 years ago.:thumb:

ooooooo....9' basement. Me jealous!

I have a 100 yr old farmhouse w/ 7' basement, which doesn't leave much clearance for me (6'3") and the ductwork.

jwstewar

It will be a full basement except under the living room. It will be just a crawl space, but instead of gravel I'm having them cap it with concrete. We are planning on using it store a lot of the totes and stuff that we have holiday decorations in (they weren't lost they were in our storage buildings out back). That will keep them out of the main basement area. We got the kids (yeah, right) a big air hockey table for Christmas from Sam's Club. That is going to go to the basement. Monica would also like to get a nice pool table. That one might be a little while though. Monica doesn't know this yet, but the area under the family room Keagan and I plan on making that be our train room.:coolshade

BTW, they say the foundation guys are going to have fun with our house. They had to do 45 degree angles. We have 4 of them. Including the 45s, we have a total of 19 corners. They say it should be fun for the guys putting the forms in.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BTW, they say the foundation guys are going to have fun with our house. They had to do 45 degree angles. We have 4 of them. Including the 45s, we have a total of 19 corners. They say it should be fun for the guys putting the forms in.

I would say that will mostly be due to their inexperience (if as you say, it's mostly block around you). There are houses around here with a dozen or more 45's, and the forms are still installed in one day. Heck, I think Bob's house has a hexagon tower in one corner of the foundation. Most of the 45's I have seen are pre-built corner forms, so they aren't actually creating the corner themselves, just attaching straight sections and corners to each other.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Bob's house has a hexagon tower in one corner of the foundation.
Yup. Guilty as charged. I think I have a 24 or 25 "corners"?

BTW, ditto what Dave said about poured foundations. We almost never see block walls here anymore. They have been pouring walls for probably the better part of 20 years around here, before that it was mostly block. I don't know which is better or worse, but it is what they do in this area.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
BTW, ditto what Dave said about poured foundations. We almost never see block walls here anymore. They have been pouring walls for probably the better part of 20 years around here, before that it was mostly block. I don't know which is better or worse, but it is what they do in this area.

Bob and Dave, I don't know if this is a regional thing or if the climate has anything to do with it. The majority of our basements are block. My house just built 6 years ago is block. I asked my builder about poured as I was starting to see them and he said "no. A block wall if done right will last longer than poured". I am starting to see poured more and more but mostly on townhouses that are slab on grade and they just pour 4 foot high sections. Wood foundations where big about ten years ago but I don't see many of them anymore.

murph

jwstewar

I asked my builder about poured as I was starting to see them and he said "no. A block wall if done right will last longer than poured".

Our builder didn't go quite that far, but he basically said that each have their benefits but both also have their problems and you have to know how to handle each one. He originally came from Idaho and said basically out there everything was poured walls and when he came here he was shocked to see block walls being used. Strange how it varies by region, but wouldn't think Ohio and Indiana would be that much different.

Cityboy

Banned
I asked my builder about poured as I was starting to see them and he said "no. A block wall if done right will last longer than poured".
murph

I find that statement hard to believe. An 8" block wall could be stronger than say an 8" 3000 PSI poured wall with steel rebar run horizontally and vertically on 12" center???

I've seen block walls heave from hydraulic pressure, but never a reinforced poured wall.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I find that statement hard to believe. An 8" block wall could be stronger than say an 8" 3000 PSI poured wall with steel rebar run horizontally and vertically on 12" center???

I've seen block walls heave from hydraulic pressure, but never a reinforced poured wall.

Well I did a Google search "Concrete wall versus poured wall" I found that both were just as good as the other, again if installed right. I found that the strength on a block wall can be just as good as the poured wall. I am in the new home building industry. My company three years ago was doing the heating and air conditioning in 600 homes per year. The majority of builders use block. There has to be a reason for it. I don't know what it is but maybe can ask a few builders and ask them why. The builder that did my house was building over 350 homes per year and he uses block. That is all I can say but I could not find many articles about poured being some much better than block. My walls have all of the void spaces poured full. I am not worried nor am I second guessing my block wall.

murph

Cityboy

Banned
Well I did a Google search "Concrete wall versus poured wall" I found that both were just as good as the other, again if installed right. I found that the strength on a block wall can be just as good as the poured wall. I am in the new home building industry. My company three years ago was doing the heating and air conditioning in 600 homes per year. The majority of builders use block. There has to be a reason for it. I don't know what it is but maybe can ask a few builders and ask them why. The builder that did my house was building over 350 homes per year and he uses block. That is all I can say but I could not find many articles about poured being some much better than block. My walls have all of the void spaces poured full. I am not worried nor am I second guessing my block wall.

murph

I did a Google search too and found different. I think the reason most builders use block is because it is easier to level the courses and cover mistakes; in fact, I have been told this by more than one builder.

I wonder if the comparison between block and poured is for the same thickness? I believe a 12" block wall would be comparable to an 8" poured, but not 8" to 8". I'm just speculating here, because I really do not know for sure. I do know that block walls are more porous and more leak prone than poured, but that can be solved with sealant. Plus, the mortar joints are weak points where cracks due to settling and heave due to hydraulic pressure are more likely to occur.

Now when I built my house in Georgia, I asked every knowledgable concrete person I could find and the consensus among them was that while block was cheaper and more versitile, poured was stronger and an overall better choice if you could afford it. I'm sticking with poured. Here's an interesting article I found. Note the highlighted sections:

http://www.cfawalls.org/news_press/cfa/2005/050829_concrete_v_block.htm

Solid Concrete vs. Concrete Block
1x1_blank.gif
1x1_blank.gif
1x1_blank.gif
MOUNT VERNON, IOWA (August 29, 2005) -- Solid concrete wall contractors and concrete block contractors are long time competitors, and they are constantly comparing cost of construction, structural integrity and overall product quality. The controversy has been there for years, but what may not be apparent is the information available from the Concrete Foundations Association. A facts brochure on solid concrete v. hollow core block is one example. CFA’s brochure, Solid Concrete Walls, provides you with the empirical data needed to conclude that hollow core block just doesn’t stack up to poured concrete.

The results of CFA’s study, based on engineering analysis, show that unreinforced hollow core concrete block basement walls for residential construction are not nearly as strong as solid poured walls. When compared to block construction, a concrete wall goes up fast, increases productivity, and results in a superior basement time after time. Poured concrete walls provide builders and owners with stronger, drier, better basements. They offer performance that block walls simply can’t match, and they do it at a competitive price.

The comparison advantages do not end at hollow-core block. In order to provide similar structural performances, concrete block walls must include vertical reinforcing and solid grouting of the hollow cores. Grouting and reinforcing the cores can improve the structural performance of concrete block but at a considerable increase in cost.

Solid concrete walls are formed between durable aluminum, steel or wood form walls set on footings by skilled concrete professionals. Once the forms are secured and plumbed, concrete is placed in the forms. Today’s poured wall professionals are experiencing tremendous business growth and success by embracing technology in their companies.
It is not uncommon for a poured wall contractor to own a concrete pump. The concrete pump gives them the freedom to place concrete at any location in the forms without bringing heavy equipment to the excavation. Concrete pumps can reach in excess of 150-ft to keep all heavy equipment clear of not just the excavation but also the apron surrounding the construction.

Truck cranes further contribute to the growth of the poured wall industry and the speed at which walls are constructed. These modified haulers arrive on the jobsite with an average of ten baskets of forms organized and ready to easily drop to the subgrade excavation level so crews no longer carry the hand-set forms into the trenches from above. This extends the use life of the forming systems and saves crucial time and energy.

Cracks in walls have also been a long debated issue. Solid poured walls can develop cracks but the use of horizontal reinforcement keeps the number and width of these cracks to a minimum. Cracks, if the do occur, are easily detected and easily fixed. Most cracks are superficial shrinkage cracks. These cracks do not extend through the thickness of the wall and, therefore, do not leak. The CFA also offers a brochure that discusses cracking and the differences between “common” and “concerning” cracks.

Concrete block walls have “built-in” weak points at each horizontal and vertical joint. A typical 8’ high by 10’ long section of wall has nearly 160 lineal feet of weakened plane built into it. Most cracks in concrete block walls occur at these joints. Any increase in stress along the vertical surface of the wall expose these weakened areas.

For more information about CFA or to purchase Solid Concrete Walls and other marketing materials call the Concrete Foundations Association at toll free, 866-232-9255, or order online at www.cfawalls.org.

The Concrete Foundations Association (CFA) represents concrete foundation contractors and suppliers dedicated to the advancement of their industry. It develops marketing and technical publications, construction codes and standards, and safety recommendations. The association also provides educational and networking opportunities for CFA members.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think poured vs block might be builder preference more than regional. I'm not far from you Jim but our builder was only doing poured 10 years ago when he built ours. I'm surprised to hear block is more popular over your way.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
When doing my search first article.
second article.

To me they both have their advantages and disadvantages. It may be regional preference of all or maybe the weather dictates it. It was twenty some years ago since I lived in the Mpls area but the majority of the builders there also used block.

murph

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I think poured vs block might be builder preference more than regional.

No way. I don't know of a single new construction (<25 years) house in Illinois that is block. I'm sure they exist, but every custom or subdivision home I have ever seen in the Chicago/Northern Illinois area is poured.

Actually, no...there was one new custom home near me that used pre-fab concrete panels for the foundation walls. They actually looked like pre-cast concrete studs, plus concrete "sheathing". They were literally bolted and grouted together on top of a poured footing.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Block is very prevalent here. What I see is the higher end builders using poured walls.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I think poured vs block might be builder preference more than regional.

No way. I don't know of a single new construction (<25 years) house in Illinois that is block. I'm sure they exist, but every custom or subdivision home I have ever seen in the Chicago/Northern Illinois area is poured.

Actually, no...there was one new custom home near me that used pre-fab concrete panels for the foundation walls. They actually looked like pre-cast concrete studs, plus concrete "sheathing". They were literally bolted and grouted together on top of a poured footing.

I should have added "in southern Ohio" to my quote above. :pat:

Like Jerry pointed out the poured walls are more prevalent in higher end homes. I have noticed more use of poured walls recently ...I wonder if the cost of poured is now closer to that of block? When we built it cost more for poured, but saved time. We started construction in November so time was important to us. We wanted to 'get er done'.

jwstewar

Like Jerry pointed out the poured walls are more prevalent in higher end homes. I have noticed more use of poured walls recently ...I wonder if the cost of poured is now closer to that of block? When we built it cost more for poured, but saved time. We started construction in November so time was important to us. We wanted to 'get er done'.

Boy this thread sure didn't go how I thought, but chat is a good thing!!!:applause:

I can relate to the 'get er done' part.:thumb: I don't know about the cost, but I know our builder typically charged extra for them. Their standard was a 10" or 12" block (can't remember which), but they added the 9' poured wall to be on a "level playing field" with the other builder we were considering and ended up 1 upping them by doing the 9'. The other was only doing 8' and we were going to have to pay extra to get the 9'.

If/when we finish the basement I will probably just use dropped ceiling in the basement at 8' so that in case anything needs to be worked on, it can be done quite easily.

Hoping they start today....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Up here, allot of people go with the wood frame foundations due to the amount of frost we get in the ground. My house has a wood basement and it's had no problems whatsoever with water damage(cracking). Most of the houses around here with poured or block foundations have "leaky" basements due to cracks forming in the foundation. Plus, in the winter here, the frost can sometimes get 3-4 ft in the ground making a poured or block basement very cold and drafty.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Poured walls are stronger than a same thickness of block wall because you can choose the sack mix in the concrete and the entire wall is that strength. In a poured wall you can also go with 3/4" gravel instead of 3/8" for a block wall. Also you dont have any joints in the wall as you do with a block wall. at least 1/3rd of the wall on a block wall has joints. No a poured wall is much stronger of equal thickness and equal amount of rebar.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I think it often comes down to a matter of skilled labor. Not saying that poured doesn't require skill, but proper block laying is a dieing art.

BTW, ours is a 9' x 12" thick poured wall. (8' only required 10" thickness.)

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I checked with our Chief Structural Inspector today and he figures about 30% of the homes are now poured walls. It costs a little more but there are less complaints of wet walls and cracking, and the fact they can get the house out of the ground a little quicker with poured walls.

jwstewar

Hey guys look what happened yesterday!!!!

We had people warn us about our ground being a "swamp" and we shouldn't do a basement. Well after living there 8 years I wasn't too worried about and one of things we really wanted was a basement. I know where there can be some wet spots but it isn't even close to the house site. Well we have had 2 or 3" of rain in the past few days. The top few inches of dirt is pretty muddy, but once they started going down into the hole it was good dirt (wet obviously, but not "mud") and no signs of hitting the water table which I figure is about as high as it is going to be. So I figure with the water proofing, footer drains, and an extra large sump pump we will be more than fine.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, but this time of year it is dark when I leave work let alone get home - an the rain wasn't helping much.

Attachments

• 100_2662.jpg
    100_2662.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_2664.jpg
    100_2664.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_2665.jpg
    100_2665.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_2666.jpg
    100_2666.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 131

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for you Jim. We sure have had the rain the past few days. I agree, your basement should be just fine.

jwstewar

They finished digging the basement yesterday. I got to be home a watch them. Monica called and said the Honda wouldn't start and they needed it moved. I told her to tell them move it with the hoe.:yum: I went home and dragged it with the little NH (mental note to self, teach Monica how to follow someone when being towed so I don't have to keep dragging it sideways) to the garage. I took off the aluminum wheels and put the factory bent steel wheels back on. Finally got it started and took it to my buddy's garage/junkyard last evening and signed the title over.

Anyway, we had a couple of trees in the way so I had them pop them out of the ground and I put them on the NH and took them back to the garden and temporarily planted them. The garden was a mess from where I tilled it in the fall and with all of the rain it was like soup. The tractor just sank. I could navigate through (barely) but it was nasty and now the tractor is muddy top to bottom.

The hoe driver spread the pile of dirt around a little bit to make it easier for the cement trucks and the forms guys, but nothing great. They will do that with a dozer in a few weeks. A little side note, he said the excavator weighed 46 tons.

jwstewar

They poured the footer Friday. Got a few pics of them doing that. Yesterday they put the footer drains in and the dry well for the sump pump. After all the rain we had over the weekend they had to pump a bunch of water out. I don't envy their job yesterday. Cold, wet, and muddy. Sounds like a good time to me.:smileywac

I'll post a few here, but you can see all of them on google here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jwstewar1999/HouseBuilding?authkey=bB1oJN9zfM8.

OK, I'm having trouble adding pics. I will try later, but for now you can see the pics at Google.

Last edited:

jwstewar

I wasn't able to get any pics last night, but they have most of the forms and rebar set for the basement. Looks like they were missing a 45 corner. They also have to do the forms yet for the porch, living room, and garage. I'm assuming they will do these do. Don't know if they will try to pour this afternoon or if they will wait until tomorrow. Kinda hope they wait as I'm off tomorrow. But it looks like either way we will have basement walls for Christmas.:applause:

jwstewar

Yep, I finally got some. It took them longer than I thought to pour the walls. They started out pretty good with the footer drains and all, but they spent the rest of the week just putting rebar in and straigtening the walls. This week they didn't work because of Christmas until Wednesday. They worked Wednesday and came up higher with the panels. Thursday they put the windows in and install the bracing. They were planning on pouring put the concrete company could only commit 2 trucks and they didn't want to do that so they waited until yesterday to pour. It ended up being 7 trucks and 61 yards of concrete. They said they would be back Wednesday to start stripping the forms. They said once some of the framing is done they will come back and pour the floors when they can throw some heat to it. I asked about finishing it, they will finish it by hand. The owner of the company says he won't let them use the trowel machines, he has them but won't use them unless it is absolutely a huge job.

Attachments

• 102_2744.jpg
    102_2744.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 102_2745.jpg
    102_2745.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 80
  • 102_2746.jpg
    102_2746.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 102_2747.jpg
    102_2747.jpg