• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

If you are not angry after reading this then I'll refund your money!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
His parents could always change his name. Or they could insist the kid get over his disability and figure out some way to speak. Either solution would probably allay the concerns of the powers that be at Grand Island (Neb.) Public Schools.

The problem administrators have (and, boy, do they ever have a problem!) is with the special hand gesture that 3-year-old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, uses to sign his name. News station 1011 reports that the sign mimics the drawing of a gun in air.

READ THIS STORY => Deaf preschooler forbidden to sign own name because gesture resembles gun « The Greenroom

Oh sure, its all fun and games now that he is 3 years old, but as he grows there is no doubt that he will 'sign' high caliber weapons and that will lead to 'drive by' signing. It can only spiral downhill from there!

Seriously, someone needs to BEAT THE SCHOOL BOARD TO A PULP :hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As a parent who learned sign language(ASL) these folks should be made to wear hearing silencers for at least 24 hours and see how they get along in life without knowing the language. My boys were subjected to some dumb prejudices but something like this is so far out there it begs disbelief. These board members need to go if this is their skill level.:hammer: Send them all down to Galluadet University and let them see first hand how threatening it is.

mak2

Some things are too stupid to have to discuss. This is one of them. The first peson that thought of it should fired for even thinking it. But it does sound like everyone understands that and will fix it.
As a parent who learned sign language(ASL) these folks should be made to wear hearing silencers for at least 24 hours and see how they get along in life without knowing the language. My boys were subjected to some dumb prejudices but something like this is so far out there it begs disbelief. These board members need to go if this is their skill level.:hammer:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a couple of appropriate hand signs I'd like to show the school board.

rugerman

What really pisses me off is that taxpayers dollars pay their salary, don't they have anything better to do than make life harder for a kid who is already having enough trouble as it is.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
UPDATE:

In a statement, the district said:
“The school district teaches American Sign Language (ASL) for students with hearing impairments. ASL is recommended by the
Nebraska Department of Education.”

However, the state’s DOE said they in fact do not recommend it.

The Grand Island district followed up this week, releasing a new statement in which they said they are not ‘changing the name’ of any
student, nor how it’s signed.

The parents are standing by their original story, and the community’s outrage over the issue is causing many critics to say the school needs
to revisit how it addresses these types of issues.

Even though the school district seems to have backed off, the idiots responsible for this should be bitch-slapped right after
being given their pink slips. :hammer:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sadly, I was born 10 miles from Grand Island. I buried my parents there a couple years ago, alongside my grandparents and great grandparents, and I can tell you that this was not situation even 20 years ago. What the hell has happened? and how do we stop it?
This kid is not allowed to speak his name in the only language he knows and maybe the only language he will ever know, and the same school is teaching students who do not even belong in the country in their foreign language to be sure that they are not left out.

The whole system is sick.