• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vermont Adventures

vtmtnbob

I thought everyone might like to see what we do here in the east. Trails tend to be a little tight at times and we dont get as much snow. When these photos were taken the snow depth was 31" so riding was nice. there had been no melt at that point. Here are some grooming pictures I took on the way up to the cabin (it is about a one mile trip up).

I am sure you will find my drag funny, mostly made from wood with a metal blade bolted on. it actually worked pretty good till i got lazy and backed up without unhitching it. since it was made from wood the weak point was where i drilled the hole for the clevis hitch, so no big deal. I want to screw a pair of down hill skis on the bottom which i think will make it track a little straighter.

After the 2x4 tongue on the drag broke i went to the camp.

Its a nice drive with some nice winter views. i am hoping for a new neighbor who may let me cut a tree or two down to open the view in the summer.

I like that trail but i was not able to drive up the hill :( you can see i almost made it but there is a big drift at the top of the hill. i just kept spinning. Of course when i stopped the brakes blew a gasket or something as i had no brakes but very quickly put it into reverse and let the clutch out so i had some control going back down the hill. I did not try again i just turned around and took the flat trail to camp and then drove down the hill.

I have some more photos when i took the kids up for an overnight camp out which i will try and post tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2011Cabin3Grooming.jpg
    2011Cabin3Grooming.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 2011Cabin4Grooming.jpg
    2011Cabin4Grooming.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 374
  • 2011Cabin5Grooming.jpg
    2011Cabin5Grooming.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 2011Cabin6Grooming.jpg
    2011Cabin6Grooming.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 2011Cabin7.jpg
    2011Cabin7.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 2011Cabin8.jpg
    2011Cabin8.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 2011Cabin9.jpg
    2011Cabin9.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 2011Cabin10.jpg
    2011Cabin10.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 372
  • 2011Cabin11.jpg
    2011Cabin11.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 2011Cabin12.jpg
    2011Cabin12.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 372
  • 2011Cabin13.jpg
    2011Cabin13.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 2011Cabin14.jpg
    2011Cabin14.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 372

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like fun ! Thanks for the pictures !

Is it your first trip there this year ?

vtmtnbob

no not my first trip but first one with camera :) I try to get up during the week if i can get ahead at work. Generally what i do is ski up, heat the cabin, ski or snowshoe around for half hour to let cabin warm. have lunch. ski back. drive snow trac up to groom trails, drive back. Then i try to bring the family up on the weekend.

i still have electrical problems but hopefully replacing the starter solenoid this morning has fixed that. I seem to have problems when i bring the kids, by myself the machine always runs great!

vtmtnbob

Awesome pictures! I like the homemade groomer on the back. Looks like it does the trick!

thanks it does work pretty good and since i am the only one (besides moose and coyotes) who use the trails its pretty easy to keep em smooth. and with a little snow they are really fun for the kids.

lowell

nice pics and cabin it would be nice to have something like that to get away to I guess the shop will have to do.

Lia

Banned
Great post! Fabulous pictures, and awesome scenery! My kind of scenery! Can't wait to see the pics of the camp-out! :smile:

northeastheavy

Great pictures!!!!
I hear you about the tight trails here in the east. I am about 175miles south of you and have gone from 4-6 feet of powder early in the winter and now with some rain today, will be down to about 2 feet of hard packed snow!!!!! Snowcat does handle great on the hardpack in the woods!!!!!
Got brave yesterday and went up to the top of cunningham hill!!!! My trail at the top is only 9 feet wide with a 70 degree slope on one side and 45 degree on the other!!! All trees!!!! Was shocked I made the climb up about 100 feet of at least 45 degree slope( figured I would be backing down) The BR60+ sat on top with no room to spare!!!! Visions of MATTIDAHO's tucker sliding off the side of the mountain and the other guy in utah stuck!!!!!! Hit the pedal and pulled out just right with no slippage and was home free!!!! Next was a sharp right on a side hill!! Went slow, backed up a few times and got around the turn and down the hill easily!!!!! Next time will Take the camera!!!
Amazing the different snow conditions all winter here in the northeast!!! Is there a classification system out there to describe different forms of snow?? Have seen it all this winter here in the east!!!

northeastheavy

Will watch out for that yellow snow!!!! :yum: The rest is fun!!!! Just have to learn to drive in it!!!! Half driver/half snowcat you are driving!!!! Lot more skill driving in many different conditions than I ever expected!!! As you can tell this is the first winter I have a running cat all winter!!!
Tom

Morin64

nice pictures. what town is the camp in? I work at EAFR in Jericho and we use a steel culvert to pack trails. and thay back nicely. if you have to unhook you can just filp it over and you on your way

northeastheavy

Hey vtmtnbob, Youre rear drag does look alot like a 3-point hitch box scraper. I think they sell them at tractor supply here in the east!! You might want to look at one, might be a good groomer????? maybe??

vtmtnbob

Hey vtmtnbob, Youre rear drag does look alot like a 3-point hitch box scraper. I think they sell them at tractor supply here in the east!! You might want to look at one, might be a good groomer????? maybe??

Yes i know it looks like a box scraper that is what i modeled it after actually, the only difference is the "scraper" drags instead of scoops. I am going to try and put a pair of skis on the bottom, i think it will track better (it tends to slide left and right at times).

Of course my electric problem has resurfaced ( http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=442106#post442106 ) we went to take the kids up today with some friends, i promised them all a nice drive and i gave them a nice snowshoe walk! actually i trimmed 3/10 of a mile off the walk by following some game trails.

northeastheavy

I have a 6 foot box scraper and If I need a groomer now I have one!! Would think it just needs to release the snow easier. Hope your electrical problem gets solved!!!!!!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was just looking for a way to smooth the trails around camp today & came across this: http://www.yankeemetalworks.com/ . Obviously not as inexpensive as your 2 x 10 model, but over the long haul might be a better option. And since they are outside of Keene, you could pick it up during the summer instead of having it shipped.

Or just use their design & make your own. :whistling:

vtmtnbob

I was just looking for a way to smooth the trails around camp today & came across this: http://www.yankeemetalworks.com/ . Obviously not as inexpensive as your 2 x 10 model, but over the long haul might be a better option. And since they are outside of Keene, you could pick it up during the summer instead of having it shipped.

Or just use their design & make your own. :whistling:

thanks that looks like a nice option.