• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow cat insulation and soundproofing

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
this question is going out to all you folks who have sound proofed your cats my next step in pimping my cat is some insulation it's - 8 and blowing to 35 mph and the old heater is having a time with keeping up with heat loss i'm interested in what some of you all have used for sound proof insulation on your cats as everything is mail ordrer i want to do it right the first time. the 2 requirements is knock down some noise and keep the cold out it was a bit of a harsh ride home from church with the wind blowing so bad this morning there was no wind thismorning so the ride there was nice the stiff wnd and cold temps kept the snow from melting on the windshield on the ride home.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
That foam stuff that Snow Dog posted is good but pricey and it holds water .

I used foil-bubble-foil stuff with marine carpet over it. It's been 2 years and it hasn't fallen off. I used 'PowerGrip' to glue it all on.

indy1

I installed headliner and floormat material in my 5man cab Bombi. Which I found to be the cheapest for me from westlocktractor in Alberta Canada, They sell it in bulk off the roll and in different colours. You can see pics of it in my post called 79 bombi restoration. You can now have a conversation inside when your cruising...http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=13259

scooterd

I used EZ cool heat and sound insulation. Check out ebay item #330522078858. A 4X10 roll is 31.50 plus shipping. I don't know how well it works because I'm not done with this rebuild yet!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,021

northeastheavy

I think what ever insulation you use on the outer panels-roof, doors, and rear cab panel is good if it seals good. Carpet with insulation is a must on the floor. The most important place to seal up is the firewall!!! All those holes blow air and engine noise into the cab. Sealing the firewall is the most important. I was all set to insulate the snowmaster before I sold, so I had it all planned out. The Br60 I have came with 3/4Inch foam on the roof and doors. Its all crumbly, so new insulation is going in this summer. Sealing up the cab, in your snowmaster would make tremendous difference!!!!!! Well worth it on those long alaska drives!!!!!!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

I'm going to use this stuff on the Tucker I'm keeping. It will go on the roof, the doors and the cab rear.

I saw a really nice early-nineties Tucker 1643 at Bill and Mary Guthrie's a few years ago and it had this material in it. IMHO it looks classier than the indoor-outdoor carpeting that Tucker used around 1980.

Years ago (late seventies) I worked on a farm in Iowa. They had big John Deere tractors with what Deere called "Sound Gard" enclosed cabs. They were insulated with foam-backed perforated vinyl very similar to the product snow dog mentioned.

Those cabs were very impressive. It could be 95 degrees outside and downright chilly inside. The noise reduction was similarly outstanding.

For the floor I'm planning on using a heavy marine-grade carpeting with an underlayment of one of the FatMat sound deadening materials (not sure which one yet).

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Don.
I had the same issues. Traveling at -45 gets to chilly and we have no lack of cool weather in the Interior. What I did was Purchase some cheap bedroll material from WalMart - those cheapie foam camping things. I put those on the bottom half of the cab with contact cement then applied some grey auto carpet over that again with contact cement. For the roof section, I used some close cell foam - kind of squishy- cut for each of the 'cells' between the 1x1 supports. I used the contact cement for that then cemented some black felt cloth to that. It looks pretty good, hasn't fallen down yet and really helps keep it warm. I can drive in my undies now at -40.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
"I can drive in my undies now at -40."
Don't give him ideas like that!:hammer::yum::yum:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone able to compare this ? I am looking more for sound. I been stopping to use my radio because of the noise.

dave_dj1

I have stuck plain old ice and water barrier on the interiors of a couple of jeeps and an 79 ford truck. Clean the floor good and stick it down. It deadens the sound like you wouldn't believe. Then I put carpet over it. As for insulation, I know they make some for marine use that insulates as well as sound proofs but is pricey.