• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GFI Garage Circuit Question

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Do the lighting fixtures in the garage have to be on a GFI?? How about 220 volt outlets for things such as welders????? thanks Junk the electrocution-er...

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
The only outlets in a garage that have to be GFI protected, are ones you can reach while standing on the floor. Graspable I think they are referred to. Lighting circuits/outlets, are usually overhead, and out of reach. Any dedicated circuit doesn't need to GFIed. Such as for a freezer, sumppump, or a welder.
Jerry, correct me if I'm wrong!:tiphat::beer::beer:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
While wiring today, I noticed that on the standard circuit breakers there is a provision for putting 2 wires under the clamp. On the GFI, there was only one. Is it proper to put more than one wire under the clamp of a GFI circuit breaker? Is there a limit on the number of receptacles that can be on one circuit? I need to get the wiring done, since it has been a year since I have done any more work on this garage and I would like to be able to use it before I am too old to use it..... Junk...

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
G'morning Junkster. Your GFCI circuit breaker should only have one wire attached. That's why there is only one space under the clamp. On the other breakers you mentioned, even though there is space for two wires, only one should be connected there also. I think a rule of thumb is 10 outlets per circuit. A load calculation could be done, but in the case of conveince outlets, it's pretty much useless in my experience. I think you've got 20amp breakers? If so, how many 20amp tools can you use at one time in the shop. Unless your one of the lucky few with four arms and hands, I'll bet it's only one!
Come to think of it, your breakers that have space for 2 wires. Are those the breakers that are half sized? It's actually two breakers sized to fit the space for one in your panel. I try to keep away from those.

Hey where the crap is Jerry? Let's wait for him to give a yea or nay on this.:tiphat::beer:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I put two wires under the clamp because the panel is in the middle of the wall and the recepticles are at both ends of the wall. Once the cover is on, no one will be the wiser, just wondering what the "book" says about that.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, first things first..........I was out to eat for my Son+Grandaughters Birthday :moon:

Now Next....Do lights need to be GFCI? No. Nor do 220V receptacles. Only those 15 and 20A recectacles that are "readily accessible" need protection in the garage. I think the exception for a dedicated circuit for an appliance may still be there.

Next......SquareD has their regular breakers listed to accept 2 wires under the clamp ,if they are the same size. Now, maybe the GFCI breaker was not tested or listed that way.