• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can Trump win back his base after signing the abominable spending bill?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
March 24, 2018
Can Trump win back his base after signing the abominable spending bill?
By Thomas Lifson

https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...ter_signing_the_abominable_spending_bill.html

I, too, wish President Trump had vetoed that spending bill that put smiles on the faces of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and permitted them to gloat openly. The only reason for his cave-in that I find credible is what he said: that the huge spending increase for our now depleted military cannot wait. Our airplanes and helicopters are falling from the skies, and roughly half of some aircraft models are not airworthy, some of them suffering cannibalization of their parts to keep the rest flying.

I suspect that his attention now is focused on the pending talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, and he absolutely requires a credible threat to use our military. Iran and other bad actors are watching closely, and military weakness going into those talks would be my priority if the responsibility were on my shoulders.

But what do we, his base, want to happen?

Is revenge against Trump worth handing Congress to the Democrats? Would it be so satisfying to see Trump impeached and therefore punished for allowing half a year of terrible spending to take place? (This was not even a full-year budget bill.)

In my book, this was a tactical retreat, not a strategic surrender.

It is up to conservatives to determine how great the losses from that retreat will be. If we stay home in November and hand the House to Nancy Pelosi and maybe even the Senate to Chuck Schumer, and Trump is impeached, will the satisfaction of "teaching him a lesson" compensate for the inevitable results?

I think the congressional Democrats have big plans for what they will do if their "blue wave" materializes, and I do not relish the opportunity to see those plans realized.

So what can Trump do?

First, really fight with the congressional Republican leadership, and let them know he won't sign another last minute deal, as promised.

I would like to see him publicly campaign against omnibus spending bills as a concept and demand that the House leadership start crafting the sort of focused spending bills that used to be voted on to fund specific departments and even projects.

He has also made it clear that the filibuster is a concept that has outlived its usefulness. The argument that Republicans would regret ending it when the Dems come to a majority in the Senate no longer has any validity in the era of #resistance. I don't believe that the Dems would hold on to the filibuster if it obstructed them from passing bills. It requires only a bare majority of senators to change the rules and junk the filibuster.

If the GOP leadership refuses Trump's requests for targeted pending bills and abolition of the filibuster, then he can repeat – in public and private – his promise to veto a last-minute abomination.

Remember that such a veto would take place six months from now, in September, before the midterms.

A lot can happen in half a year, and the possibility exists that our military may be actively engaged on a significant scale by that time.

This morning, it feels as though the rug has been pulled out from under the conservative base. But we have more than seven months to get back on our feet and focus on the prospect of Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer.

I, too, wish President Trump had vetoed that spending bill that put smiles on the faces of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and permitted them to gloat openly. The only reason for his cave-in that I find credible is what he said: that the huge spending increase for our now depleted military cannot wait. Our airplanes and helicopters are falling from the skies, and roughly half of some aircraft models are not airworthy, some of them suffering cannibalization of their parts to keep the rest flying.

I suspect that his attention now is focused on the pending talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, and he absolutely requires a credible threat to use our military. Iran and other bad actors are watching closely, and military weakness going into those talks would be my priority if the responsibility were on my shoulders.

But what do we, his base, want to happen?

Is revenge against Trump worth handing Congress to the Democrats? Would it be so satisfying to see Trump impeached and therefore punished for allowing half a year of terrible spending to take place? (This was not even a full-year budget bill.)

In my book, this was a tactical retreat, not a strategic surrender.

It is up to conservatives to determine how great the losses from that retreat will be. If we stay home in November and hand the House to Nancy Pelosi and maybe even the Senate to Chuck Schumer, and Trump is impeached, will the satisfaction of "teaching him a lesson" compensate for the inevitable results?

I think the congressional Democrats have big plans for what they will do if their "blue wave" materializes, and I do not relish the opportunity to see those plans realized.

So what can Trump do?

First, really fight with the congressional Republican leadership, and let them know he won't sign another last minute deal, as promised.

I would like to see him publicly campaign against omnibus spending bills as a concept and demand that the House leadership start crafting the sort of focused spending bills that used to be voted on to fund specific departments and even projects.

He has also made it clear that the filibuster is a concept that has outlived its usefulness. The argument that Republicans would regret ending it when the Dems come to a majority in the Senate no longer has any validity in the era of #resistance. I don't believe that the Dems would hold on to the filibuster if it obstructed them from passing bills. It requires only a bare majority of senators to change the rules and junk the filibuster.

If the GOP leadership refuses Trump's requests for targeted pending bills and abolition of the filibuster, then he can repeat – in public and private – his promise to veto a last-minute abomination.

Remember that such a veto would take place six months from now, in September, before the midterms.

A lot can happen in half a year, and the possibility exists that our military may be actively engaged on a significant scale by that time.

This morning, it feels as though the rug has been pulled out from under the conservative base. But we have more than seven months to get back on our feet and focus on the prospect of Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
While I've never considered myself part of his base, I think he's gonna have an awful lot of disappointed people.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I am part of his base and right now I am so friggin pissed I do not even want to hear his name mentioned.

500 Million to Planned Murderhood in six months is just beyond my level of comprehension and quite possibly forgiveness. I just cannot wrap my mind around that. All those babies gone to keep the fucking left assholes happy. Not to mention all the other shit. I'm sick of talking about it. Fuck this.

:bolt::hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I've felt twinges of voter's remorse along the way... today would be one of those days.

Wouldn't it have just been nice to at least hear the VA got that 500 Million instead of those murderous bastards. Everything else notwithstanding. :idea:

There are currently 153 VA hospitals. Thats a titch over 3 million for each hospital for upgrades in equipment, modernizaton and staff. Instead, the money gets used to murder babies.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Meanwhile, Chuckie and Nance are like this today.
Not even gonna tell ya what my son called Trump this morning. Ouch!

Attachments

• Chuck-Schumer-Nancy-Pelosi-smiling.jpg
    Chuck-Schumer-Nancy-Pelosi-smiling.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 50

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Why look here.
A tweet for President Tweetie himself.

True too.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1521920984969.jpg
    FB_IMG_1521920984969.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 49

leadarrows

Just remind yourselves what a Clinton Presidency would have meant.
I think some real conservatives could get elected in the next election if we can find any. Certainly agree there is no reason to vote in any liberals no matter what Trump does.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I think some real conservatives could get elected in the next election if we can find any. Certainly agree there is no reason to vote in any liberals no matter what Trump does.

I do know what a Komrade Klinton presidency would have looked like and it would not have looked pretty, but remember Lead, when we say Trump is better then Klinton, that is setting the bar awful low, my friend.

Donald has been doing real good, up until yesterday. That is all I am saying.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I do know what a Komrade Klinton presidency would have looked like and it would not have looked pretty, but remember Lead, when we say Trump is better then Klinton, that is setting the bar awful low, my friend.

Donald has been doing real good, up until yesterday. That is all I am saying.

Hate to remind you but 3 or so years ago, Trump proclaimed he identified more as a Democrat saying that the economy has always done better under Democrats.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I do know what a Komrade Klinton presidency would have looked like and it would not have looked pretty,....

Think long and hard about a Clinton presidency....................

How long has it been since the last actual budget?

Now, ALL the BS spending is right out there for anyone to easily see.

I think Trump had no real choice other than to get the military immediate funding, they may very well be in harms way soon.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We all knew Mexico was not going to pay for the wall. Yesterday, we found out that neither are we.

rugerman

I am not happy that Trump signed the bill, but you have to remember that Trump did NOT rite the bill, the republicans and democrats in congress did he just signed it to keep the government from shutting down and he did say that he was signing it but he would not sign a similar bill in the future. Trump is one man who is up agents the democrats and a bunch of rhinos in his own party, i’m Sure that e is also pissed at his own party, the party that controls both houses of Congress for letting that bill pass BOTH houses of Congress with all that Democrat friendly crap in it. It’s time for us to let the republicans know that we are unhappy with their performance and lack of enough balls to stand up to the democrats!

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not happy that Trump signed the bill, but you have to remember that Trump did NOT rite the bill, the republicans and democrats in congress did he just signed it to keep the government from shutting down and he did say that he was signing it but he would not sign a similar bill in the future. Trump is one man who is up agents the democrats and a bunch of rhinos in his own party, i’m Sure that e is also pissed at his own party, the party that controls both houses of Congress for letting that bill pass BOTH houses of Congress with all that Democrat friendly crap in it. It’s time for us to let the republicans know that we are unhappy with their performance and lack of enough balls to stand up to the democrats!

If President Trump signed this one after saying he wouldn't, he will do so again in the future. But that he had no choice is incorrect. He could easily have vetoed it and sent it back. Let Congress deal with the mistake.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
If President Trump signed this one after saying he wouldn't, he will do so again in the future. But that he had no choice is incorrect. He could easily have vetoed it and sent it back. Let Congress deal with the mistake.

There is always a choice in life. When someone says they had no choice, it really means they did not want to do the other thing because it was not expedient for them in the moment. Summing it up, they are full of shit.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I think there would have actually been some opposition from the GOP to this budget if we were living under a Clinton administration :hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Bottom line, Donald has an up hill battle to fully win back his base after this. I think his inexperience as a politician clouded his judgement when he should have been relying on his strongest asset, the asset of being able to run this country as a business. Something, he obviously excels at very well.

Of course some earth shattering great deal over NOKO and bringing a lasting peace to the peninsula could change things, but only time will tell on that one.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
All may not be lost. I read an interesting article today that said that the Congress can budget monies for all those projects but it is actually the President who decides when and IF the monies get spent. Don't give up yet. He may in fact be playing THEM.