• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vietnam Vet Finally Wins Fight To Fly Old Glory

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Good for him. :clap:

I would never be associated with any type of home owners association. I am sure once they saw the likes of me they would feel the same way. :yum::yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/0...lory-after-bitter-decades-long-dispute-734184

Home owners associations (HOAs) have a reputation for being overbearing and nit-picky. As the nation at large becomes more polarized, it seems patriotic flag-waving veterans who want to show their allegiance and support for the military increasingly have become targets for those sitting on the HOA boards who love exercising their power.
View attachment 111830

As a former HOA President of a large 408 unit home owner's Association, I can tell you that HOA's don't really have that much power.
What the Board of directors cannot do;
They have no police power
They cannot in act new laws
They cannot create new regulations
They cannot have you arrested for breaking the covenants

What they can do is make reasonable judgement calls on how covenants apply case by case.

What they can do is take you to court.
What many of them do is take you to court.
Taking residents to court cost the HOA money.

Better to make a fair judgement as to the intent of the covenant and find a common understanding. since covenants are purposed for maintaining property values, I fail to understand how the American flag lowers or threatens property values.

Covenants are part and parcel to your land deed. Or apartment/condo agreement. They are the agreement you make, the conditions you accept, when you take possession of the property. Their purpose is clean, every ones property values, quality of life, Domestic tranquility of the neighborhood.

Again, how does the flag of our nation negatively effect those values?

There was no reason to hassle this veteran except that somebody on the board wanted to and they could. If it was a resident complaint, that should have been handled with that resident. No, somebody wanted to excursive power they really didn't have. So they got the courts involved.

Because they wanted to,,,,; and,,; they could.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, PG, that's the one I tried to post. Just gotta sit down and educate myself.
Mike