• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1974 Thiokol Spryte 1200C...Might have to sell

My dream cat may have come along too soon. I am planning to use it to promote a new brand I'm developing ,but it may be too early financially in the business plan.

So I'm putting this out there to see if there is any interest as the snow is flying now. I don't want to let this one go! This is one of the nicest cats I've seen, ready to go. But reality is speaking to me today.

Cat is located in B.C. Canada now.

It originally sold for $28,500 USD:

'74 1200C, 1600 hours. I designed and restored/renovated this snocat specifically to plow roads and go on extended week ski trips. Has custom forward frame addition & blade receiver hitch for using 6 way, T handle controlled heavy duty blade. This is a 1200C cat at that can actually do heavy duty plowing without damaging itself. Custom auxiliary fused electrical system with 95 amp alternator, isolator, military deep cell batteries, inverter, 750watt KC lights, stereo, C.B., etc. Heavily insulated, metal floor, 6' removable bed, ski rack, top rack, storage areas, grab handles, rain gutters, etc. Custom painted: sandblasted, acid washed, 2 pt. epoxy primer & final coat, truck bed liner under body. New rear sprockets, tracks in great shape. Rebuilt differential, Weber carburetor, new S.S.brake cylinders, brake bands, new engine electrical system, rear hydraulics; all fluids recently changed.

All tires are foamed. Just Needs the front passenger side wheel changed as the tire sidewall has blown off the foam filling. Cat is running fine.

I would be asking $25,000 USD.

Photobucket pics:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/smalltownjeans/embed/slideshow/Thiokol%20Spryte%201200C"></iframe>

Original ad from U.S. owner who rebuilt the cat:

http://www.resortboneyard.com/i/1974-thiokol-1200c/3068

Here's some pics of the cat at a tradeshow in Vancouver January. It was a big hit

Also some pics of the fan under the "hood".

Anyone know is this fan to defog the windshields?

I replaced the motor and it blows forward.

Thought maybe it should blow back into the cab to defog the windows.

Just learning about this machine...any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0431-1.JPG
    IMG_0431-1.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_0435-1.JPG
    IMG_0435-1.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,054
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,020

undy

I don't suppose it's possible you replaced the motor with one that spins the opposite direction. ??

They are sometimes made in both directions of spin for different applications.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With DC motors, all you need to do to reverse directions is to switch the positive and negative leads. Or put the fan on the motor shaft turned around the other direction. Should be easy.

Regards, Kirk

undy

Kirk, you're right, but...

The photo seemed to show only one lead, so I assumed it was chassis grounded. If so, reversing polarity would be less easy, but still not impossible.

Reversing the blade may be possible, depending on clearances. The blade center does not appear to extend past the blades, so reversing it may move the blades too close to the motor. ??

Of course, my eyes are poor, so perhaps you're seeing things more clearly than I.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, you're right, but...

Of course, my eyes are poor, so perhaps you're seeing things more clearly than I.

:whistling: I know the feeling about the eyes...

Maybe not quite enough coffee yet either..:flowers::yum:

You maybe are right, with pics, there is no way to tell, really.

At any rate I can say Good Morninng to you, and know who I am talkin to! Soo cool to meet you at the clowder!

Take care, Kirk

undy

Yeah, likewise! It was terrific to put some faces to a few of the names here.

Sorry my time was so limited this year. It would have been a lot more fun to have been able to spend more time with all of the cat folks who showed up. Next year, I guess... (why am I always saying "next year"?)

BTW, thanks for finding my buddy Rob a ride in a cat. He's caught a bit of the fever, I fear. He was intrigued by Cootbruce's cat with the man-lift. Don't be surprised if he's back again.

Cheers,
Paul

OK, I'm assuming the fan is supposed to direct the air into the cab then.

Easy to switch polarity. Not sure if the old motor was switched or designed to operate backwards.

It's just weird that the fan is mounted this way.

There is not room to mount it blades in, the blades would hit the heater core

So I guess the air will be drawn over the fan motor, polarity switched and or backward mounted blade I'll see how it goes....

Thanks for your comments

undy

Then it's real easy!!

All advice you receive from this forum is guaranteed to be worth what you paid for it. :hammer:

Cheers.

tomelroy

behind the fan is a heater core. The fan pulls outside air over the heater core and heats the cab. It also defrosts the front windows. If you have a shut off on one of the lines that feeds the heater core the coolant flow can be shut off. Now your heater core will cool and you can use the fan to pull cold outside air in to cool the cab. If you don't have a shut off, i would highly recommend installing one. a/c is very nice in a cat on a warm spring day.

behind the fan is a heater core. The fan pulls outside air over the heater core and heats the cab. It also defrosts the front windows. If you have a shut off on one of the lines that feeds the heater core the coolant flow can be shut off. Now your heater core will cool and you can use the fan to pull cold outside air in to cool the cab. If you don't have a shut off, i would highly recommend installing one. a/c is very nice in a cat on a warm spring day.

THANK YOU for the clear explanation. This is what I suspected was the case. It's so weird that the fan is facing forward, I guess it'll be fine reversing polarity on the motor. Very interesting about the shutoff idea. I can imagine it gets pretty warm on a spring day with the heat from the motor. Thank you for that advice!

Update on this Spryte:

New front wheel with foam filled tire installed. Wheel bearings were in great shape, bearing race switched out properly.

how wide is the blade? Would you consider selling it separate?

Thought about it, but the cat is all setup with the forward frame reinforcement and hydraulic system. Whoever runs this cat will probably want the blade, so it should stay together. Thank you for your interest though....