• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP brake slave replacement

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I got kind of mad about not being able to find a replacement slave cylinder.
After searching the parts books for 1.25" cylinders and running into a bunch of dead ends, I decided to try modifying something that is available but isn't exactly right.
This set up may not be perfect or long lasting but it's fairly cheap at about $60, bolts right in and only takes about 20 minutes of work.

This is a clutch slave cylinder from a Chevy Cavilier and similar models and has a 'proprietary' inlet fitting. You will need a "long nut" 7/16 fine thread. I had a bunch from another project. They came from McMaster-Carr.
Also 2 bolts 7/16 fine thread 1.5 or2 inches.
And a brass fitting male/female 7/16 or what ever your cylinder takes for the incoming line and the male end fits nicely in the new cylinder.

Take the new slave cylinder apart and throw out the spring and spring holder and put it back together. Get the end with the square thing out of the old cylinder.
Cut off the head of one bolt , clean up the threads and make a slot in each end with a saw to take a screwdriver.
Round off the head of the other bolt. Nice and round because the piston in the cylinder is brass and they will rub on each other.

Grind about 3 threads off the fitting and put it in the new cylinder. Gently drill a slot to take the supplied pin. Use some nice thick epoxy and epoxy the fitting in the hole and insert the pin.
Assemble the rest of the stuff to what ever length you think is right and VOILA !

Attachments

• THBsallparts1W.jpg
    THBsallparts1W.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • THBsparts2W.jpg
    THBsparts2W.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • THbsinletpin3W.jpg
    THbsinletpin3W.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,033
  • THBSDone4W.jpg
    THBSDone4W.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,051

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, pix let us know how this works leave it to a snowcat owner to come up with a re-engineered idea. :thumb: by the way chopping down trees with a rifle may not be cost effective:yum: :yum:

IMP

Site Supporter
I bought a direct replacement for an IMP 1404 steering slave cylinder a few years ago from Power Transmission inc. in Fairbanks AK. Call Ray at 907/456-2230 Wagner pn# F26022 casting#FE-21637. if you ever need another one.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will be seeing what pat has going on.

I try to search and dig as much as possible before asking a redundant question. this thread is very complete with data and is 10 years old. many folks have put a lot of time into compiling ideas and data. I just bump them back to the top to be able to find the info quickly.

BoyToys

I got kind of mad about not being able to find a replacement slave cylinder.
After searching the parts books for 1.25" cylinders and running into a bunch of dead ends, I decided to try modifying something that is available but isn't exactly right.
This set up may not be perfect or long lasting but it's fairly cheap at about $60, bolts right in and only takes about 20 minutes of work.

This is a clutch slave cylinder from a Chevy Cavilier and similar models and has a 'proprietary' inlet fitting. You will need a "long nut" 7/16 fine thread. I had a bunch from another project. They came from McMaster-Carr.
Also 2 bolts 7/16 fine thread 1.5 or2 inches.
And a brass fitting male/female 7/16 or what ever your cylinder takes for the incoming line and the male end fits nicely in the new cylinder.

Take the new slave cylinder apart and throw out the spring and spring holder and put it back together. Get the end with the square thing out of the old cylinder.
Cut off the head of one bolt , clean up the threads and make a slot in each end with a saw to take a screwdriver.
Round off the head of the other bolt. Nice and round because the piston in the cylinder is brass and they will rub on each other.

Grind about 3 threads off the fitting and put it in the new cylinder. Gently drill a slot to take the supplied pin. Use some nice thick epoxy and epoxy the fitting in the hole and insert the pin.
Assemble the rest of the stuff to what ever length you think is right and VOILA !
Old thread of yours. So how did this work out for you? Looking to perhaps do the same...just in case (my slaves are still working fine). A dude on eBay has them for $13 and free shipping. NAPA now wants around $80

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It worked fine. In post #3 member 'imp' found a direct replacement but I never tried it because about a year later, MN Outdoors took the Imp in trade for a 1977 Bombardier Skidozer and I had a whole new set of things to fix and fool around with :)

BoyToys

Thanks for the response. Pretty clear directions, but I don't understand the function of the one bolt with head cut off and screwdriver notches cut in the ends...and the long nut going with it...though I would probably figure it out once diving in. Everything else I can visualize.
I think I'm going to take a whack at this, just to have a spare on hand if/when the time comes. $13 + parts and a little free labor....do the math.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It was 15 years ago. I never had to deal with that part again so I have no idea ! Maybe you will come up with something better.

Matthew

It was 15 years ago. I never had to deal with that part again so I have no idea ! Maybe you will come up with something better.
I don’t want to hijack this thread but I just realized that I just bought your old Imp, Pixie. I don’t see a way to personal message you. Could you maybe message me? Not sure how to use all the functions on the forum yet. I have some questions as this is 100 percent very obviously your machine. I don’t have pictures to post but if you look over in the for sale forum you will see the cat in the ad I found it in

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi, Matthew and welcome to the forum ! Yes, that's my old Imp ! Amazing !

I can easily tell by the lack of paint in two strips on the back. There was a triangular steel thing for hauling a groomer of some kind. I bought it here in NH for $8000. It had a recently rebuilt OC4 that cost the man almost the purchase price.

You must need to make a couple more posts as I can't see a way to send you a personal message, either.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
PM's are different now, I am not totally sure I am doing them correct. I will try to send one to you pix

BoyToys

Well kids I went the direction that Pixie did and secured a couple of brake slave cylinders "just in case" mine fail. Will take some modification but nothing serious that a backyard diy mechanic can't figure out....if and when the time comes. Heck, at $26 for the pair I can afford to toss them if I can't make it work.

Attachments

• 20240109_124229.jpg
    20240109_124229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Matthew

I can tell you that pixies fix is still going strong after all these years. I ran the guys out of it two days ago with now issues. It has been years since she did it