• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Michelle Obama is not amused

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/01/malia_sasha_obama_dolls_progre.html

First Lady Michelle Obama has let it be known she's not amused that a Chicago-area company has appropriated her daughters' names for use on its one-foot tall dolls.

Ty Inc. maker of Beanie Babies, has introduced Marvelous Malia and Sweet Sasha, two brown-colored dolls, as part of its TyGirlz line. To which Mrs. Obama has said through her press secretary: "We feel it is inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes."

No small irony there since it appeared to many observers of the recently ended presidential campaign that the Obama girls were an important part of the president's marketing effort to gain the White House. They helped introduce the then-unknown senator as a family man with adorable, smart and well-mannered offspring. In some unmeasurable way, the girls likely helped the Obamas win the big prize.

Doll maker Ty's response is essentially, hey, we just liked the names. Any resemblance to living persons is merely coincidence. As the Associated Press reported:

The Oak Brook-based company chose the names because "they are beautiful names," not because of any resemblance to Malia and Sasha Obama, said spokeswoman Tania Lundeen.

"There's nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls," Lundeen said. "It would not be fair to say they are exact replications of these girls. They are not."

The dolls have bronze skin and "real doll hair," Lundeen said. They were introduced in early January and a limited supply has been shipped to retailers.

This response is reminiscent of the Curtiss Candy Co., maker of the original Baby Ruth candy bar. When people suggested it was named after legendary homerun hitter Babe Ruth, the company insisted it was actually named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter Ruth. But many people, including Ruth, believed that story was a fiction meant to cheat him out of royalties. Meanwhile, the company did all manner of baseball-related promotions over the years.

in any event, the Obamas are entitled to have whatever response to the dolls they'd like. But here's something everyone should keep in mind.

A little over five decades ago when civil rights lawyers were trying to graphically show racism's psychically destructive power, they used famous, heartbreaking research by psychologist Kenneth Clark.

In experiments, he demonstrated that given the choice, young black children would almost invariably choose white dolls over black ones. When asked which dolls were good and beautiful, the black children, nearly without fail, pointed to the white dolls. The black dolls were perceived as bad or ugly. That research was used by the lawyers who argued Brown vs. Board of Education and helped sway the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down school segregation in 1954.

Fast forward 55 years. How remarkable it is that in 2009 we should have a company believing it can profit by marketing brown-colored dolls named Malia and Sasha. Maybe the dolls aren't so much a sign of exploitation. Maybe they actually signal progress.

Attachments

• Malia and Sasha dolls small-thumb-425x283.jpg
    Malia and Sasha dolls small-thumb-425x283.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 104

The Tourist

Banned
Hey, I'll bet Sarah Palin was ticked when they trashed her whole family.

Welcome to the world of American politics. Suck it up.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy Locutus,
you are assuming that she is capeable of a thought process!!!! I cant find any evidence of it!! Have a goodun!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
ask me if I give a damn what this bitch thinks.
:mellow::neutral:
Let's remind ourselves that even though most of us on the forum aren't Obama supporters per se, this is about a mother being upset over something being marketed for $$$$- clearly using her two little girls as the inspiration.. even though the company says they are not.
Everyone is going to cash in somehow.. this is just an example.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter

Extremely harsh words for the First Lady of the country where you reside and call home. What prompts such words when the thread is about coming together of different races and the potential implications of naming dolls after high profile children for a monetary gain? Your logic and response is totally out of line and shows no respect for the first lady, her family, fellow citizens and your country. :hammer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Let's remind ourselves that even though most of us on the forum aren't Obama supporters per se, this is about a mother being upset over something being marketed for $$$$- clearly using her two little girls as the inspiration.. even though the company says they are not.

Don't let it bother you PG what some say here . Consider the source.
A lot of men are afraid of women who outclass them in every way . It appears by some here on FF she is a bitch for her beliefs or ignorant in some way . Hell one guy even called the President a Pimp ?? I wonder what would have happened to him if he had tried saying that if this was in 1800 . Probably would have been Tarred & Feathered or hung ...or both.

As the great John Wayne once said " Big Talk from a one eyed fat man " . which translate into "Talk is Cheap" . You just gotta love old Duke :clap:

She (Mrs Obama) is in the spot light now and its a unforunate fact that some people are going to try and capitalize on that any way they can . Its the American way now .

Makes me wonder if the same company is going to come out with a unwed mother doll named after Palins daughter ???:ermm::unsure: Classy !!!

American Woman

Site Supporter
Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way about the first lady. It wasn't too long ago she was depicted as militant. She was scarier than Obama to me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way about the first lady. It wasn't too long ago she was depicted as militant. She was scarier than Obama to me.
Explain in detail why you feel that way.
Oh wait.. they are both Muslims in the White House... my bad..:pat:
.... and she happens to be a little attractive, I guess that's a few strikes against her.. eh?

rc2james

Site Supporter

Come on now Ray, deep breaths, in and out slowly. You need to get that Obama victory hypertension back under control.
If you go around getting all upset with the way the election turned out, your blood pressure will go sky high and should an unexpected erection pop up, POW, you blow the end of that baby right off.

Just ask some of the nurses on here about that. I bet they see catastrophic penis blowouts all the time with all the stress men are under these days.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way about the first lady. It wasn't too long ago she was depicted as militant. quote]

I agree with you .

And who, may I ask , was doing the depicting ????

I rest my case . :flowers:

American Woman

Site Supporter
I don't see the big deal for her to be so upset????? It's not like the dolls are hookers or wearing cornrows... They are just little girl dolls. She is the one that chose to put her girls in the spot light.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on now Ray, deep breaths, in and out slowly. You need to get that Obama victory hypertension back under control.
If you go around getting all upset with the way the election turned out, your blood pressure will go sky high and should an unexpected erection pop up, POW, you blow the end of that baby right off.

Just ask some of the nurses on here about that. I bet they see catastrophic penis blowouts all the time with all the stress men are under these days.
Ronnnnn!!!!!!!!!!:hammer::hammer::yum:

American Woman

Site Supporter
Explain in detail why you feel that way.
Oh wait.. they are both Muslims in the White House... my bad..:pat:
.... and she happens to be a little attractive, I guess that's a few strikes against her.. eh?
What does her looks have to do with it? Do you judge people by their looks?
I didn't know she was associated with the Muslim religion. As far as I remember BO isn't either.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8642.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/editorials/satirical-cartoon-reinforces-stereotypes

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see the big deal for her to be so upset????? It's not like the dolls are hookers or wearing cornrows... They are just little girl dolls. She is the one that chose to put her girls in the spot light.
She didn't choose to put her daughters in the spotlight.
She happens to be married to the President of the United States.
Now the media and ANYONE within the industry of bringing in some cash or trash are going to go wild with this until it's no longer funny.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What does her looks have to do with it? Do you judge people by their looks?
I didn't know she was associated with the Muslim religion. As far as I remember BO isn't either.
<SNIP>
I clearly recall you calling Obama a Muslim, and her (his Muslim wife) in previous threads..
I don't judge people on their looks, more so on the brains they have in their heads, or the lack thereof..

American Woman

Site Supporter
She didn't choose to put her daughters in the spotlight.
She happens to be married to the President of the United States.
Now the media and ANYONE within the industry of bringing in some cash or trash are going to go wild with this until it's no longer funny.

I bet he would not have ran for the office without her support. I still don't see the big deal? They are cute little girl dolls
Now if Palin's daughter showed up as a pregnant Mommy doll.....THAT would be different.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

I agree it could have been a lot worst . It does not matter if it is a movie star or a country leader , they choose the life so they need to be prepared for the results .

I have looked and I don't see any dolls of the Bush twins , Amy Carter, or Chelsea Clinton ??? Crap , someone should file a lawsuit for Race discrimination .... Where's Locutus when we need him ????

American Woman

Site Supporter
<SNIP>
I clearly recall you calling Obama a Muslim, and her (his Muslim wife) in previous threads..
I don't judge people on their looks, more so on the brains they have in their heads, or the lack thereof..
So why would you accuse me of judging her by her looks?
I don't know about her, but he went to a school of the religion.
Everyone was calling them Muslims in the beginning :rolleyes:

American Woman

Site Supporter
I agree it could have been a lot worst . It does not matter if it is a movie star or a country leader , they choose the life so they need to be prepared for the results .

I have looked and I don't see any dolls of the Bush twins , Amy Carter, or Chelsea Clinton ??? Crap , someone should file a lawsuit for Race discrimination .... Where's Locutus when we need him ????
I think the little girls are the most perfect compared to other kids in the White House for dolls. They are beautiful little girls. They are Daddy's girls and I think that is sweet. It's not racism when they happen to be black girls. How are you going to make a doll after them white? THAT would be racist.
Ever since he was voted in office all the talk has been "the first BLACK" prez....So now I'm a racist because I think the dolls are cute? When are we supposed to forget they are a black family?

American Woman

Site Supporter
There were "Barbie Doll" references to both her and Sarah Palin directly from you...
Don't know what the hell that was supposed to have to do with it anyway..
YES! I did say that someone needs to tell Sarah Palin to stop waving like a beauty queen when she walks out. (there is a certain wave they practice for hours to do) I also made reference to being tired of the "soccer mom" stuff. As far as Mrs Obama and her looks....show me the thread because I don't remember calling her a Barbie doll. She's not a Barbie doll type to me.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the little girls are the most perfect compared to other kids in the White House for dolls. They are beautiful little girls. They are Daddy's girls and I think that is sweet. It's not racism when they happen to be black girls. How are you going to make a doll after them white? THAT would be racist.
Ever since he was voted in office all the talk has been "the first BLACK" prez....So now I'm a racist because I think the dolls are cute? When are we supposed to forget they are a black family?

My sad attempt at being funny .I'm Sorry . In NO way ,shape or form would I ever call you a Racist . That was not my intentions at all . That last paragraph I wrote was NOT connected to your comments in any way .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
As far as Mrs Obama and her looks....show me the thread because I don't remember calling her a Barbie doll. She's not a Barbie doll type to me.
Well, there was a thread last year where I think I posted something about her wardrobe comparing it to Jackie-O... or it could have been another thread somewhere here.. not sure.. doesn't matter anyway.. I know what I know.. and this memory like a steel trap of mine is at times both amusing and irritating.. I'll leave it at that..:smile:

American Woman

Site Supporter
My sad attempt at being funny .I'm Sorry . In NO way ,shape or form would I ever call you a Racist . That was not my intentions at all . That last paragraph I wrote was NOT connected to your comments in any way .
I didn't think you were calling me a racist and to be honest I wouldn't take offence if you out right did. I'm in no way perfectly pure in my thoughts. :smile:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
It wasn't too long ago she was depicted as militant.

Is her depiction as a militant reality or just right wing hype? Sarah who I admired greatly was also consider unsuitable for the job as VP by many on the left. It really does not matter now since Michelle is First Lady. You should judge her on what she does as First Lady not what is said about her and forget about the unfounded predictions of doom and gloom with the Obama's in the White House as 90% of that was electioneering political lies. Even John McCain is willing to work across party lines to heal the nation. Now it is up to all of us to put the election behind and find common ground to make the nation the place it should be in the world.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Well, there was a thread last year where I think I posted something about her wardrobe comparing it to Jackie-O... or it could have been another thread somewhere here.. not sure.. doesn't matter anyway.. I know what I know.. and this memory like a steel trap of mine is at times both amusing and irritating.. I'll leave it at that..:smile:
I don't know if I said that or not, and really don't care if I did :yum:
If she was referenced to being a Jackie O look alike I may HAVE....