• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oh Boy, let's tax cars by the mile NOW!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

This guy (BO) is a fucking idiot and has no shame! So much for no new taxes for payrolls under $250,000. Do you really think he gives a shit about you and me?

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's "Transportation Opportunities Act," an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

This follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

The CBO report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-ND), who has proposed taxing cars by the mile as a way to increase federal highway revenues.

Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill. That section would create, within the Federal Highway Administration, a Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. It would be tasked with creating a "study framework that defines the functionality of a mileage-based user fee system and other systems."

See the link for more ............ this administration is really becoming ridiculous ............... :sad:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I saw this headline come across on Drudge and took a little time to look into it.

As of 2 years ago, Obama was against this idea. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29298315/

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-20/...y-trust-fund-roads-and-bridges?_s=PM:POLITICS

At this time, it is the CBO that is keeping the idea alive

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...les-driven-a-real-option-for-raising-revenues

http://thehill.com/images/stories/blogs/flooraction/Jan2011/cboreport.pdf

Since taxing is a function of the legislative branch, I see this article as nothing but perpetuating a divide and conquer strategy. As a commenter to another such article wrote today
Headlines have never been more misleading than many appearing this week. To h e l l with the news, inciting or antagonizing readers is apparently becoming the main purpose of "journalism".

Kind of speaks to this FF response
Some people make a living out of being offended, don't they?

SShepherd

rotfl...

all these idiot taxers are chasing their tails. Their little stragety to let the price of gas go through the roof is reducing their "revenue" from taxes, so they feel they need a new way to suck them from us.
How are they going to enforce it? Send someone out to check odometers like a gas meter?? Everything they want to do seemd to just bloat the sizr of govt.
The idiots simply need to focus on getting the economy - more spending = more taxes collected. More people working = more money sent to caesar through income tax.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that is going to happen, and soon. The technology is there in the form of the GPS, and there is far less revenue per mile driven coming in due the increase in MPG. This is going to increase with the advent of electric, which do not get their energy directly from petroleum.

Transportation Opportunities Act? Sounds like government act trying to act like a peoples act.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe that is the strategy...fear this? Vehicled Miles Traveled Tax...Support this...end $4 billion in oil industry tax breaks.

Somebody's getting taxed. Do we get to decide?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"In a letter to congressional leaders, the president said the oil industry is profitable enough without the tax incentives and that the money should be spent on alternative energy sources and conservation."

Why can't the money saved be used to reduce the tax on petroleum? What is going to happen with this overall plan is that the petroleum prices will go up as the incentives decline, and the government will take the windfall revenues and piss them off on useless technology.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe that is the strategy...fear this? Vehicled Miles Traveled Tax...Support this...end $4 billion in oil industry tax breaks.

Somebody's getting taxed. Do we get to decide?

Nope. We'll pay more at the pump if either plan is effected.

loboloco

There is already a plan like this for commercial vehicles. The large companies use a tracker to log the miles and it is paid on a quarterly basis. The taxes are weighed against purchases of fuels and each states receipt is reduced by that amount(state tax on diesel). It is called the IFTA tax. Welcome to the wonderful world of being screwed by the government.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with my mom's observations. Her view is that prices are raised to something near or equal to intolerable then scaled back to a new low that is higher than the old low. This process will be repeated until we have >/= $6/gallon gas and we like it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do not understand why the FEDERAL government wants to get in on taxing the cars.

Is it not a traditional STATE issue? States levy gas taxes and license plate fees and other things to pay for road repairs.

My wife and I have SUVs that get about 17mpg on a good day. I also have my fun little VW Jetta that I bought for Melen that is getting a solid 40mpg (47.1 this morning on a 36 mile drive).

As the price of fuel goes up its natural for people to
  • drive less, or
  • drive more fuel efficient cars.
That said, the states are seeing their road tax revenues go down. Further as cars move to alternate technologies like electric, hybrid and diesel the fuel used drops dramatically so the income from fuel taxes goes down and the money needed to repair roads goes down.

So the STATES, who are responsible for road repairs, need the income somehow. They can do it any number of ways. Add $100 to the cost of the annual license plate fee might be one way.

But for the FEDERAL government to do it makes little sense to me. All they will do is collect the $$$$ then break it up and dole it back down to the STATES after taking their cut of the administrative costs. Since the STATES already have various ways to collect the tax their administrative costs and infrastructure is already in place. No need to bypass the STATES to collect it at FEDERAL level so that it can be given back to the STATES.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every time I see that smirk, arrogant ass hole comes to mind.

Aren't true leaders supposed to lead by example?