• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

95 year old not US citizen

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How did we ever get this screwed up. Apparently a person living in the US for nearly a hundred years, born of 2 US citizens, and having fought for the country, is advised to drop trying to get a passport to visit friends and relatives in Canada, and a person deciding to run for the highest office in the land needs no proof of citizenship.

Why can't this gentleman just write "I am a US citizen born in Hawaii" on a piece of toilet paper. That should be good enough.

9180 comments on The Lookout, all think this is stupid.

CENTRALIA, Wash. -- A 95-year-old military veteran just discovered he's not a U.S. citizen.

"I always thought I was an American citizen," Leeland Davidson said.

That is until he decided to visit relatives in Canada.

"We went up to get an enhanced driver's license and they turned me down," he said.

He was rejected because it turns out the World War II veteran is Canadian.

Davidson knew he was born in British Columbia in 1916.

"We always figured because he was born to U.S. parents he's automatically a U.S. citizen," said Davidson's daughter, Rose Schoolcroft.

Davidson, who joined the Navy and served our country, is now a man on a mission to prove he's American.

"I want it squared away before I passed away," he said.

But proving his parents were American was a project.

"My Dad was born and we called Iowa and (they) didn't start keeping records until 1880 and he was born in 1878," Davidson said.

Davidson questioned his citizenship back in the 1940's when he joined the Navy but received a letter from an attorney that said everything was fine. He says he forgot about it until recently, and he still has that letter.

Leeland's family is now concerned about his need for naturalization after people at passport offices suggested they leave well enough alone.

"If he pursued it, (he could) possibly be deported or at risk of losing Social Security, so it kind of scared everybody," Davidson said.

The Problem Solvers spoke with Sen. Patty Murray's office and received an application for citizenship, and since Davidson is a veteran it won't cost him any money.

"I'm an American citizen," Davidson said. "Why should I have to fill out these forms, that's what irks me."

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A WWII vet and he has to prove citizenship but Obummer can scam the system and nobody cares. That is so wrong.:hammer::hammer:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A WWII vet and he has to prove citizenship but Obummer can scam the system and nobody cares. That is so wrong.:hammer::hammer:

Good post Jimbo.

Like Mule said.. so wrong.

I hope Mr. Davidson finds a way to get this all settled soon.
What a thing to have to face at his age, particularly after serving his country and now this.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Honestly, I wish the US and Canada could just merge. The fact that the two countries are even separate is absurd.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
No disrespect to Canada but lets put this country back the way it was a few years back before we go joining countrys........Just my feelings about it...........Just a thought......why not take all the welfare spunges and send them all to kenya or where ever as pease corps and make them earn the welfare they are getting and let this old gentelman stay right here cause HE EARNED IT!!!!!!! JMO....

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Honestly, I wish the US and Canada could just merge. The fact that the two countries are even separate is absurd.

You still finding any way to fit in? :poke:

On topic... this is about as stupid as we get.... it never fails..