• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Paint Prep????

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
OK..... This woman who chain smokes wants me to paint her kitchen and livingroom. The walls are BROWN from the smoke!
THe paint she currently has on the walls are semi-gloss.

What should I do????
Wash the walls THEN paint?
Dont wash the walls BUT use primer???? THEN paint?????

:unsure:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Charge her more for the work ............... :whistling:

Ehhhh... she is a semi-nice elderly ex-nun that taught those prep classes. I think for CCD. SHe is pretty damn fat so she needs help. I WOULD charge more but not in her case.

is she good looking

One of the ugliest creatures on this Earth.

Wonder if her teeth are in the same condition as the walls?
Her voice... and Im not kidding... is just like a cross between Rachael Ray and Raymonds brother from Everyone Loves Raymond.

NOW...... Can I just paint with Kilz and NOT wash the walls???? :unsure:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ehhhh... she is a semi-nice elderly ex-nun that taught those prep classes. I think for CCD. SHe is pretty damn fat so she needs help. I WOULD charge more but not in her case.

One of the ugliest creatures on this Earth.

Her voice... and Im not kidding... is just like a cross between Rachael Ray and Raymonds brother from Everyone Loves Raymond.

NOW...... Can I just paint with Kilz and NOT wash the walls???? :unsure:
Ex nun? Ugly?
Well, you have my sympathies if she behaves anything like Sr. Mary John.:unsure:
Leave the fat part out, since she is an ex-nun, she may no longer be fasting, but apparently is smoking like a chimney.
Remind her that Lent is coming in about 6 months, she may want to cool it with the Marlboro's, or even offer them up during the Advent season, as a new form of reparation. She could set a trend for ex-Catholics!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Can I just paint with Kilz and NOT wash the walls???? :unsure:
No. Ask the paint store (a real paint store, not Home Depot) what to wash down the walls with.

Here's what the painters did long ago, when I worked for a company that repaired fire damage. We were on-call for several insurance companies.

Tri Sodium Phosphate was the standard for this. It's similar to powdered laundry detergent. Mix with water. Wipe down the walls with a giant sponge, with another in the other hand to avoid spills on the (tarp covered!) floor. Go back over each wall with a water-rinse sponge before the wall dries.

Ask the paint store what has superseded Tri Sodium Phosphate. It may still be the standard for all I know. But don't use something you dreamed up since the paint may not be compatible with it.

Wait 24 hours to paint. First layer has to be Kilz or whatever sealer the paint store recommends to seal in smoke and tar.

I have NO advice re nuns!