• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tickets for sporting events

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can someone explain to me how this works?

If a ticket for the superbowl (or other sporting event) has a face value, how is it that companies can charge much more than that yet a scalper in front of a stadium gets arrested for selling tickets over face value?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Can someone explain to me how this works?

If a ticket for the superbowl (or other sporting event) has a face value, how is it that companies can charge much more than that yet a scalper in front of a stadium gets arrested for selling tickets over face value?

I think if you read the fine print, the price of the ticket is only face value. The rest is "handling" or "convenience" fees.

Plus, they are a registered business, paying taxes on their income.

I believe that the right to sell privately owned tickets has actually been upheld in court under the scope that tickets are private property, and therefore unrestricted in their sale. I would assume that the primary problem with scalpers is a good number of the tickets are counterfeit.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I remember seeing tickets for big sporting events on eBay where the seller would say: "Chiefs bumper sticker $999. Comes with pair of game tickets for Sunday's game for free!"
I guess that means they aren't selling the tickets over face value?

Lawrence