• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air Compressors

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I bought me a new air compressor at good ole Rural King a month or so and it broke; again. Third time. If you are considering a new compressor, avoid this one: http://www.eaglecompressor.com/_egl08whl13dl04ctnt61/products/compressors/ironhorse/IHD6160V1.html
In about 2 hours of total run time it has gone through two electric motors and one compressor motor. Basically, it's junk. Sorry to offend you if you have one, but if you do, please do go buy the extended warranty; you'll need it.

I don't know if I screwed up or not, but the people at Rural King (less than 1 mile from my house) are really good to work with. They seem to bend over backwards to help me and to make things right. So, I had them take this compressor back and I bought the best model they had there, this one: http://www.eaglecompressor.com/_egl08whl13dl04ctnt61/products/compressors/eagle/single_stage_175/7180V1.html
Hopefully this one is better. It was considerably more money, but each component seemed to be of higher quality.

I don't have 3 phase power at my shop, so I am limited to single phase equipment. I've not heard good things about changing 3 phase stuff to run on single phase; it defeats the purpose of 3 phase anyway, doesn't it? I don't really have any air equipment that draws over 12cfm anyway. I hooked up this new compressor and first off noted the huge difference there was in noise. This new one is considerably quieter and seemed to run for shorter periods of time.

I already have it, and do feel good about staying with the people who honestly have tried to help me as much as possible. They even cut me as best of a deal as corporate would allow the store manager on the exchange. Even so, I was wondering if any of you compressor experts could tell me what to look for? My last compressor still runs, but it could not keep up with the cfm requirements I now have, so I just put my old one in my garage for airing up tire duty etc. It has worked fine for 20 years and all I've done with it was to change the air filter once. :eek: Comments?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
What are your CFM needs. What has changed that you needed to change machines? I am considering a dedicated compressor for the shop. Right now I have two portables. When I need shop air I have one of the two to choose from.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Even so, I was wondering if any of you compressor experts could tell me what to look for?
Hmmm,

Try this test with your new compressor.

Don't laugh until you try it.

1. Put the nozzle on that just blows out high-pressure air.
2. Get a standard length #2 phillips screwdriver in the other hand. Craftsman works very well.
3. Hold the screwdriver loosly near the tip end with the handle standing straight up. Just enough pressure to keep it vertical.
4. Start from about 6" away and from an angle about like this slash / blow air upwards towards the handle, approx. where your thumb would be if you were holding it. (The blue section on the Craftsman).
5. Adjust angle and distance slightly until the screwdriver floats. You'll feel it lift out of your hand. When you have it just right, the screwdriver will hover vertically.

Now, there used to be an algorithm that determined capacity and volume and all kinds of stuff by measuring distance and time between compressor start-up/run time but I don't recall it.

If for nothing else, it's fun to do in front of friends or your kids that had no idea it could be done.

Brian

Mark777

Dargo,

That compressor looks very much like my Ingersoll-Rand...even the numbers are close. RPM/CFM/HP/V-twin and 80 gallong tank. If it is as good or better than mine, you should have several years of service before ever thinking about a pump rebuild.

Does yours have the Baldor motor? I've had many shops and never 3 phase...I guess if you've never had it, you don't miss it.

Mark