• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydraulic Valve -- Rebuild or Replace?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Top N Tilt control valve seems to have some problems (outlined in another thread). Seems the problem lies in the control to allow flow to one of the output ports.

My question is how reliable would a rebuilt valve be? Will I end up with another problem after another 6 months of use or will a rebuilt valve body correct the problem? Buying a new body is certainly the expensive option, but taking the TNT off the tractor for repairs every few months would be a PITA if rebuilt valves are not reliable.

HELP.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I would think that the only real way to make that determination would be to take the valve apart and inspect it. If you only need to replace the o-rings on the spool, then probably no big deal. If the sealing surfaces are all scored and pitted, then possibly an entire new valve.

If you have physical damage, I would make sure to check all the screns and filters on your transmission to make sure you don't have a hole letting material through.

BadAttitude

I'll agree with Dave, find out if yours is repairable first. Yours worked fine for ?
If you get a reman unit, you could be buying someone elses problems and be no better off.

MadReferee

There are not many parts inside a valve spool. A spool rod, a couple of o-rings, a spring or two and maybe a couple of detent balls. It usually takes many thousands of cycles to cause any appreciable wear on the body or spool rod. The springs and o-rings will fail well before the metal parts. Now if the body or spool rod was originally out of spec dimension wise that would be a whole different story.

Bottom line, rebuilds are cheap and usually easy to do. If you are going to replace the body then get a complete new valve.

Right now I have my dozer's 3-spool valve out and ready to go to the hydraulic shop. It has worn detents, weak springs and a broken spring in the relief section. Oh yea, this is the first time in 42 years that it has been out and taken apart.

Attachments

• IMG_0160a.jpg
    IMG_0160a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0159a.jpg
    IMG_0159a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26