• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What have you built?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey guys, what tractor mods have you made?
How about implement mods, or whole implements you built?

I'm not on my computer right now, but I'll post some photos later today or tomorrow of some of my creations. But I'd sure like to see yours.

A couple years ago I modified a Sub-Soiler to bury electric cable, but recently Dargo went a couple steps farther with his fabrication and he added a wire spool and a couple tamper plates to press the disturbed soil back into place. But posted no photos :mad: Dammit man, we need photos!

In the spring summer there is always discussion about sprayers, I designed a 2 tank sprayer that I am very happy. Again, when I get back to my computer I'll post the photos.

Mith is legendary with his tractor mods, lets see the photos!!!:applause:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, that is most kind of you, and to be honest im a bit :eek: I am sure we will be seeing far, far better projects than my blind scrap metal bodging

Never one to miss the opportunity to post my tinkering though I expect you are sick to death of some of these..... ok, thumbnails didnt work, ah well
LHS4Small.jpg

Pretty much summs up most of the mods, can see brush cage thing, rear linkage, etc

Bladeinshed2Small.jpg

BladeunattachedfrontSmall.jpg

Bladeonback2Small.jpg

Front blade, made from stainless steel sheet (from an industril sink) and an old table. Also fits on the back, can angle about 45 degreen either way. You can also see the linkage lifter on the back, a simple lever, it locks in the up position from the mechanism.

Linkageplough2Small.jpg

Plough and part of the linkage beofre I made the linkage mechanism. The polugh is a horse drawn one that I found in a woods and the old lady said i could have it, carried it 1/4 mile home (I can barely lift it but I wanted it that bad), made the linkage out of an old table and a welding screen frame to fit the plough after welding more srenghth onto the plough, I found that my tractor was a weenie bit more powerful that the plough was strong. It does OK but not perfect.

Dualsrear.jpg

The duals I made by welding extentions onto an old tranny and cutting keyways with the grinder, wheels just fit on. A small fire when I was welding the drive pulley on top ensured that the tranny grinds and whines when you drive it, but hey, it looks cool.

I ought to update the loader project thread, I have done more I promise, just havent taken any pictures yet. A job for tomorrow me thinks.
Man, my welding looks so much better from a distance :thumb:

I look forward to seeing some well finished projects :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics Mith. But how did you put text between the pics?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
the pics are hosted on Photobucket You just copy and paste the code of the pictures that PB generates for you and write around it. Wherever you put the code will appear as a picture, so just treat the code like text.

PB also gives you code to allow thumbnails that when clicked show the big image, but when i posted that code the pics wouldnt show up :confused:

BoneheadNW

Mith-
Those pics are really cool! How difficult is it to take off the duelies? If the plough is that heavy, how well does your tractor work pulling it? If you have more pics cans you please post them?
Bone

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did NOT make this implement, but a guy about 30 miles from me made it for me out of some simple square tube, some bar stock, bolts, and a couple 20+ year old JD 71 Flexi Planter heads attached to it.

I figured it belongs in the thread because it is a homemade implement.

71FlexiPlanter.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some front wheel weights that I built. 9" bar stock cut into 1.5" thick wafers make up the weight. When I was using a heavily build Befco finish mower on the 3pt these weights added 75 pounds to each front wheel for an added 150lbs of total weight, which was barely enough to keep me from doing wheelies when going uphill.

IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is my 3pt dual tank sprayer.
My friend welded it up for me, I designed it.

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is my favorite implement so far, it is my 3pt Pallet fork set up.

As you can see it is modular. The red part is a Howse Sub-Soiler/Middle Buster frame. To the frame I added the back plate for the forks, then the forks get hung on the plate. The whole thing is held together with top link pins. When I take it off, it stows away easily because the parts can simply be stacked up along a wall.

I really need to point out that this was a PITA to use before I added the TNT system to the tractor. With the hydraulic top link, this is a dream implement to use and very useful.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

forkframe.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Below is one of the many uses I've found for the fork lift attachement. That planter is 38" square, 18" tall, and made from concrete. I had 4 of them cast for me by a guy in Michigan as a surprise gift for the lovely Mrs_B last year.

planter.jpg

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Using the same frame as the fork lift above (but rotated 180 degrees on its vertical axis) here is the Sub-Soiler that I modified. As it comes from the factory it has bolts that hold the sub-soiler blade in place, mine were replaced with short top link pins so I can swap it out without tools.

Further I drilled a couple holes in the trailing edge and clamped a simple plastic drain pipe onto it so it now can be used to bury cable.

There are some changes I plan on making. I'm going to switch out the plastic pipe with a wider radius curved muffler pipe. That will allow flexible hose to be buried also.

I had an idea to make a tamper to tamp the ground down, Dargo actually build that, and added a wire spool to his as well, which I didn't need when I designed mine but I have a new project in mind that would require it.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Below you can see how modular the unit is. It come from Howse with all the parts below except for the top link pins and the modification to the rear of the sub-soiler. But for about $169.00 you get a trailer hitch, a sub-soiler and a middle-buster. The red A frame assembly is the same assembly I use for the fork lift.

subsoiler.jpg

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I don't see any pictures. Is it my ISP again, or are they not there?

Also, for my wire laying implement that has the up to 1000' spool holder and ground smoother on the back, if it shows up at your house anytime soon, would you let me know? (inside joke that Bob knows about; I loaned my invention out to a friend who helped me put in over 3000 feet of wire one afternoon. He decided it worked so well, his friend who helped him borrowed it. Guess what, that friend has now loaned it out now.)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Bob, I don't see any pictures. Is it my ISP again, or are they not there?

Also, for my wire laying implement that has the up to 1000' spool holder and ground smoother on the back, if it shows up at your house anytime soon, would you let me know? (inside joke that Bob knows about; I loaned my invention out to a friend who helped me put in over 3000 feet of wire one afternoon. He decided it worked so well, his friend who helped him borrowed it. Guess what, that friend has now loaned it out now.)

Click on the "User CP" above (under the Reply to Thread), then click on "Edit Options" on the left. In the Thread Display Options section, make sure the setting for "Show Images" is checked.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo. . . The images of all my implements are 'linked' to photobucket at an image hosting site. Do what Dave said, if that doesn't work, go buy an Apple computer, the work properly when you take them out of the box. But as for your ISP problem, perhaps if they give you a bigger tap more internet juices will flow to your computer. Ask Al Gore about, he invented this stuff. I think his ISP installed a tap large enough where he can flush data out to the internet.

Oh, and BTW, I saw your sub soiler is for sale on eBay. :yum:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bone, thanks!

With the duallies you can take the outer wheel off and just have the inner one but it is left with a bar sticking out about 6'' from the outside of the outer wheel. You need to change trannys to get back to single wheels really. I can get it done in about 20 mins if it isnt too cold. Seeming as i only use this mower in the summer for cutting a property down the road it doesnt matter what I do with it in winter really. Not practical, but cool :D
The plough is very heavy, the tractor pulls it just fine if the soil isnt the hard baked clay like we have here. In places that arent conpacted it will dig nicely
Furrows4Small.jpg

I had to get Ags for the tractor to get it to work well, loading them made it even better. I could stall the tractor from 3000rpm if it hooked on a root, so all the power was going to the ground. A well set up plough drags the back wheels into the ground = more traction.

Will post more maybe, need to go out now, catch ya later.

PS, Bob, those items are really professionally built, I expect you could pass them off as shop bought, very nice!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I've built a couple things so far, and if I can find all the photos I'll post them
1st is of the TPH equipment mover I made
2nd are the light boxes I made for my 1st TC
3rd, my version of lights on my new TC
4th, is the clampon bucket hitch I made using MadRefs plans, thanks Paul.
5th, is where I welded a 2x2x5/16 angle on the top of the bucket to strengthen it up a bit.

Plans are for a boompole attachement adapted from MadRef's plans, and a rear counterweight similar to what TOMLESCOEQUIP has done. In fact, I hope to get down to Tom's in the next week.

Attachments

• Pic283.JPG
    Pic283.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 76
  • trucktractortrailer 026 (Small).jpg
    trucktractortrailer 026 (Small).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Pic113 (Small).JPG
    Pic113 (Small).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 76

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
And the bucket hitch. Couldn't find a decent photo of the angleiron, but if you look close, you can see it in the last photo!!:whistle:

Attachments

• Pic415 (Small).JPG
    Pic415 (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 76

HarleyScooter

I thought I would add some orange to this post? After retiring from 30 years of welding and fabricating I am always tinkering with something. Here are some of the things I made and added to.

Attachments

• Core areator 4.jpg
    Core areator 4.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Dethatcher 3.jpg
    Dethatcher 3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Draw bar 1.jpg
    Draw bar 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 60

HarleyScooter

Some more

Attachments

• Grill guard weight bracket 16.jpg
    Grill guard weight bracket 16.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Sub-soiler.2jpg.jpg
    Sub-soiler.2jpg.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Carryall mounting.jpg
    Carryall mounting.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 61

HarleyScooter

A few more. Now I am waiting on the rear remote valves I ordered from my Kubota dealer so I can add a hyd top link, a angle cyl. for the back blade, and a 4'X8' hyd dump trailer is in the planning stages.

Attachments

• Box Blade 6.jpg
    Box Blade 6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 59
  • stripper 3.jpg
    stripper 3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 59
  • blade shoes 2.jpg
    blade shoes 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 58

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
HarleyScooter said:
After retiring from 30 years of welding and fabricating I am always tinkering with something.

Oh no. Are you going to be like my dad? He has been a welder for about 45 years. For the first 20 years or so that I welded anything, he told me my welds looked like bird crap, buggers, or something just as nasty, to grind them off, and try again. :pat: For TIG welding, he used to cut Diet Coke cans in half and tell me to weld them back; no leaking allowed. I never really got that down. I figured that I would never have a call to fix soda cans. He threw a fit one time when he saw that I'd purchased some JB Weld. He gave me a lecture about that stuff being crap and that it wouldn't hold anything etc. Well, I mixed up a small batch of the JB Weld and put some on the inside of the cap of one of his rod cans and put the cap back on. Apparently the stuff does work some because it sure stuck that cap on! :yum: Yeah, I got in big trouble for that one. :(

I only posted this to comment that I appreciate good welding work, and your welding is obviously first class. Great work! Now I enjoy welding and am glad he taught me how to weld and insisted on my welds being done right.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I enjoy welding and am glad he taught me how to weld and insisted on my welds being done right.
The world is still waiting to see some proof that you can actually weld. All I hear is talk. But no photos! Hmmm. . . :moon::fart2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I think Bob has my creation he wants me to post a pic of. :mad: It is supposed to be back this weekend. I'll see. Anyway, here a few little things that are tractor related. They were taken from my camera phone. Can you tell? :eek:

Attachments

• bucket hitch.jpg
    bucket hitch.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 45
  • hitch 1.jpg
    hitch 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 44
  • hitch 2.jpg
    hitch 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 45

HarleyScooter

Dargo, It looks like your father did a good job of teaching you how to weld. I also noticed from your last picture, you are like me I never throw away steel, you will always find a need for it. As far as the pop can, I never tried to weld one back together, I found it hard enough to just put a bead on the side of one. I like the JB weld story also. One event sticks in my mind from long ago, my dad was a welder and he tried to teach me at an eairly age. I was about 12 and a neighbor kid broke the bottom tube on his mini bike frame, so while dad was at work I got his welder out and welded the top of the tube then I flipped the bike over and started to weld the bottom of the frame, thats when it started to get hot, I forgot to drain the gas tank and man what a fire (no explosion, thank God) I flipped the bike over and pushed it out of the garage and down the drive, while the kid that owned it looked on in terror. We put the fire out quickly and it only ruined the seat, dad had to finish fixing the bike later, it seems funny now, but at the time it sure was scary, especially when the kids dad brought the bike back to my dad!
Good looking projects you posted.
Scott