• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Used Shopsmith lathe ...

DAP

Found this in a local swap/sell rag .... are these things a decent tool? I'm always overly skeptical with the all-in-one design, but it is a tempting notion ... my needs are purely recreational ...

Shopsmith - woodworking machine - Includes 10" table saw, horiz. and vert. drill press, wood lathe, 12" sanding disk and 4" jointer. Many access., in very good cond. $450

Attachments

• shopsmith.jpg
    shopsmith.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 65

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doug, I can be no help, but I really am hoping someone has an answer. The 'all-in-one' units look like they have a lot to offer a 'casual' or 'hobby' user like me. I doubt I would want one if I was serious about any of my wood or metal work. But for my casual use, it seems like it would be a nice investment, not use up too much space, and do a lot more than I could do now.

The biggest drawback I see to the Shopsmith units is that you really would need to plan your work out prior to starting to make the piece. If you didn't plan things well enough you might find yourself switching the tool back and forth from saw to drill to saw to router to drill to saw too often!

DAP

Roberto ... that, as I alluded to, is exactly what I was thinking. This type of thing might be just the ticket for me to do small diverse jobs ... or at least, that is what it was made for. Thus, the query, hopefully from somone who knows whether it is a marketing job or an actual tool that can be productive with reasonable effort ...

As far as planning out your work load to keep the machine from getting in the way, I concur ... probably a good idea anyway ...

Let's see if someone can help here ...

:)

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
A - I don't know the answer to your question, however a lot of the people that have them think they're the cat's meow.

B- I've been looking for about a year for a good used one...that looks to be a great price if it really is in very good condition.

DAP

Wannafish ... I'm still thinking about this .. I want to email the seller. If I should take a pass on it however, and you're interested, I would be more than happy to pass the contact info along, provided you could handle shipping something like this from the eastern edge of the continent to you (michigan?).

I've noticed so far it doesn't say what model it is .. nor does it still have all the goodies that come with it ... (wrenches, chucks, blades, chisels, etc.)

I will let you know one way or the other ....

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
$450 doesn't sound like a bad deal. I've seen these at woodworker shows, and they seemed like a quality machine for the casual woodworker without a lot of room. The way I work, a dedicated machine works best for me. What the crap, if you bought it for $450, you may get extra bucks out of it if you didn't like it.:tiphat::beer:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
DAP....$450 is reasonable for that unit provided you have all the parts....guides, rests etc. I see them for anywhere between $450 & $600. The "Shopsmith" is actually a pretty decent machine and was designed for people who don't have alot of shop space.. The thing that makes the dedicated machine more attractive is that there is no need to re-adjust all the time for the different tasks particularly if you need to do repetative part making. It really comes down to your ability to adapt and realize the added steps required to use the machine. If you can make this a "Second Nature" sort of thing you'll have it made. Construction wise, these things have always been built like tanks. Keep track of all the smaller parts so they don't get lost.

Enjoy your new toy....(I'm sensing you realllllly want it.)

DAP

If the CEO will bite (it's a three hour drive one way too) ... I think I might pull the trigger on this. Here's what the seller added:

The machine is a Mark V from 1982. It is still available. It comes with all the standard tools that are supplied with the shopsmith in addition to mandrels for 5/8" bore blades and a mandrel for a dado blade. The 4" jointer is an option that I added and it comes with a spare set of knives. The table saw is equipped wiuth a carbide blade. I also updated the guaarding and the lower blade guard for dust collection. The unit is also on casters which I also added. It is in excellent shape and it works very well. If you are interested it must be taken by this weekend as I am moving the first of next week.

Here's some pix seller sent along ...

Attachments

• Img1418.jpg
    Img1418.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Img1416.jpg
    Img1416.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Img1419.jpg
    Img1419.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Img1420.jpg
    Img1420.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Img1421.jpg
    Img1421.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 46

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
DAP - you want it, we all know you do.

But, if for some reason you can't, please forward the contact info. Maybe I can work something out.

Thanks!

DAP

Tis true ... even the misses is all for it. She wants to learn how to turn. I've made arrangements to drive up to Moosehead Lake tommorrow morning (2-3 hrs 1 way). I would have gone today, but the CEO insists on coming for the drive - but - we've got dinner guests this evening and I couldn't get the CEO back in time for preparations ...

FRET NOT However,

I did find 2 others for sale, both in New Hampshire .... I will PM you with the info.

:17875:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Wannafish said:
As they say on Bob and Tom - "You da man!"

Finally......someone else who listens to Bob & Tom. The Tampa station I used to listen to them on changed formats....The Fort Meyers station is far enough away that unless the weather is right I get snap...crackle and pop along with bleed over from a rap station in the Orlando Area that happens to carry "Tom Joyner" (Not the same thing at all...... :toilet: )

DAP...Hope you enjoy the machine......The jointer and lathe alone are worth the money!!!!

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I was hoping someone would chime in regarding the Bob and Tom comment. Nice to have someone with taste to type at.
(You may notice I didn't say good taste...:2gunsfiri)

I listen to them each morning on the way in to my day job.
Maybe someday I'll get a life.:toilet:

DAP

6 hrs of driving, 450$ USD, and 3/4 of a tank of 87 octane, the ShopSmith, all of its parts, an optional 4" jointer, some homemade fences and jigs, homemade sawdust/shopvac attach points, all the service receipts and the original manuals are warming quietly in the kitchen after a frigid ride through the pine state.

Attachments

• P0003826 copy.jpg
    P0003826 copy.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 41

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"Wannafish, did you get the PM I sent hours ago?"

Yes Sir Yes Sir, 3 bags full...
Thank you for the info - I'm letting the CFO contemplate what I'm giving me for Christmas!

Glad to see you got it home. Gee, wish I could drive 6 hours on 3/4 of a tank...guess I just need a bigger tank!

Love your stove. Mine is green and white enamel but the boss said I can't bring it in the house :( .

DAP

B_Skurka said:
The biggest drawback I see to the Shopsmith units is that you really would need to plan your work out prior to starting to make the piece. If you didn't plan things well enough you might find yourself switching the tool back and forth from saw to drill to saw to router to drill to saw too often!

Bob, the manuals state that reconfiguring the machine to any of it's uses should not take more than 60 seconds .... I've been through a couple and I can see that THAT is quite attainable.

You're right though, planning is still gonna be unique with this thing ...
so far, I've cleaned and lubed it ... fired it up but have yet to use it for want of material and lathe chisels, which are coming ....

So far, there's still a shot I'll be pleased with it all the way around ...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be very curious to get an update or two after you use it a few times. Especially for something semi-complicated that takes a few configuration changes.