• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Took my Snow Trac out for its "last ride" today ... selling it tomorrow

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is a 1974 Snow Trac ST4.

image_zps4013b5c9.jpg

When I imported it I declared it a "farm tractor" on the customs papers. Doing so allowed me to drive it on the roadways (with a SMV sign and the lights turned on). Its been a great toy. I enjoyed finishing the restoration and driving it around the farm fields, through the creeks, across frozen snow covered fields and generally terrorizing the area. But its time to send it on its way.

image_zpsc4bab74d.jpg

So I took it out for its LAST RIDE a little while ago. I'll probably miss having it. But I think I need something else. Not sure what. But something else. When I find "it" I'll know "it" but until then I'll just be looking around for a new toy.

image_zps1852810d.jpg

I will be bittersweet to load it up on the trailer and see it drive away. Honestly I'm done with it. But I will always love it.

image_zpse5981537.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guy by the name of Leonard is driving down from Canada this evening, loading it up in the morning and heading back home.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still in very nice condition. Looks Great. It will be missed here at FF. That is the snowcat that got all the snowcat forums started here. Little did we know what that would grow into. :tiphat: :thumb: :wave:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still in very nice condition. Looks Great. It will be missed here at FF. That is the snowcat that got all the snowcat forums started here. Little did we know what that would grow into. :tiphat: :thumb: :wave:

Don't worry Doc, I'm not giving up on snow machines :hammer:

Might look for something with 6 or 8 wheels that can take tracks? Or if I could find a SWAMP SPRYTE then I might even mortgage the house, spend Melen's college fund, or do whatever I could do to get one of those parked in the garage.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
member fubar has a real nice swamp sprite for sale and if you want an argo on steroids there is always Allen's unfinished never ending krusty project.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy crap. I sure could use one of those. The five bay garage that is! :brows::thumb:

Yeah, I should have built it bigger. The house has a 3 car attached garage, the Snow Trac is parked in front of the toy castle. One of the bays has a high ceiling and a car lift, and one of the bays has a door on the back with a covered area out back so you can drive through and store things outside under the roof. Still too much crap to fit it all inside.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
are you letting your collection of memorabilia go? I could use some.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
are you letting your collection of memorabilia go? I could use some.

Nope. He is getting the spare parts and the Snow Trac, but my 'stuff' stays with me. And I am keeping the custom made horn button as a memento but giving him have the factory original horn button.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Melensdad,

I think you should have considered a simple farm type cold storage shed for your over flow. Some day you will wish you had your ST4....

You have a storage issue, not an inventory issue....:whistling::wink:

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, honestly I play with things for 5 or 10 years and then I move to something else. Its time to give this toy another home. Its time to find something else with which I can drive my wife insane.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do the same, but I seem to come back to most of them at a later date with a renewed interest. But that is just me I guess.

Hope you replace it with something cool!!

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its official. And GONE.

It will take 2 days to get up to its new home. Leonard promises to keep us informed of any upgrades, repairs, etc.

Kane

Kirk, honestly I play with things for 5 or 10 years and then I move to something else. Its time to give this toy another home. Its time to find something else with which I can drive my wife insane.
Eventually, every real man needs an ultralight airplane.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eventually, every real man needs an ultralight airplane.
That is my wife's dream toy. Me, I'm afraid of heights. I think they are cool but that is not for me.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its official. And GONE.
Like saying good-bye to an old friend for many of us. We've watched it become what it has over the years. Kind of like watching a kid grow. Thanks for the memories of it and watching it grow to become what it is today.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations on the sale. I hope Leonard realizes what a nice machine he has.

I tend to agree with Kirk. I've got a darn near obscene amount of toys, etc and most of them are old and fully depreciated. So keeping them takes space, a little maintenance and repair, and the forgone opportunity cost of the funds being tied up. But when you have something old and really nice and you sell it, you know in the back of your mind you won't find one as nice as the one you just sold. The bottom line is I hope you don't regret selling.

Has your wife considered a Light Sport Aircraft? It's a relatively new category from the FAA and the requirements in terms of aircraft and pilot licensing are much simpler and less costly.

Thank you for the forums. I've spent many (too many?) enjoyable hours on here.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bob you are selling and i,m buying my first personl Snow Trac St4 1979
Hi Villi, its been a while since I've heard from you. I almost made it up to Iceland last year and I was going to try to look you up. Our plans ended changing last minute and didn't get that far north. Nice to have you back.

Hope to see photos of your new machine :clap:

Congratulations on the sale. I hope Leonard realizes what a nice machine he has.

I tend to agree with Kirk. I've got a darn near obscene amount of toys, etc and most of them are old and fully depreciated. So keeping them takes space, a little maintenance and repair, and the forgone opportunity cost of the funds being tied up. But when you have something old and really nice and you sell it, you know in the back of your mind you won't find one as nice as the one you just sold. The bottom line is I hope you don't regret selling.
Oh I always do. But I'm always glad to begin the search for a new project too. Rather than keep them, I tend to fix them up a bit, play with them, then move on to the next. In every case I do keep my collection of memorabilia, etc.

Has your wife considered a Light Sport Aircraft? It's a relatively new category from the FAA and the requirements in terms of aircraft and pilot licensing are much simpler and less costly.
NO, and if you tell her about them I'll be spending MY toy money on HER. So hush your mouth :hammer:

Thank you for the forums. I've spent many (too many?) enjoyable hours on here.
Its Doc who gave me the opportunity to build the Snowcat Forum area here. He deserves the support and thanks. And honestly I could not have built up the Snowcat Forum here without some help from all of you who chimed in with your opinions, projects, etc. It really is a group effort here.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just hung up the phone with the new owner of my snowcat. He left my house about 11:15am on Friday and just got home at 7:30pm tonight. Had freezing rain and iced roads most of the way home.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hey Bob we got about 8 inches of snow and I was going to go out and run my snow trac around but it appears that Big Al got to it and siphoned all the gas out of it. the little red snow trac suffered the affliction as yours except It started than died. I put a post up on local social media if I caught them messing around my snow cats that an attitude adjustment was coming their way. this is the second time this year some on has hijacked a full tank of fuel at 6 bucks a gallon that's a lot of money. my best guess is it's kids who have no job but want to ride quads and snowmachines around. seems some one had tried to start up the Thiokol too and left the key on,when they found they didn't know how to start it.so now I'm charging a battery and will now have to start pulling keys as it is apparent that people around here can't respect others property.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just hung up the phone with the new owner of my snowcat. He left my house about 11:15am on Friday and just got home at 7:30pm tonight. Had freezing rain and iced roads most of the way home.

that reminds me. last jamboree I drove 4 hrs in the freezing rain. At Leavenworth's car wash I had to run the washer twice to get the build up off the snow trac's windshield. it was about 3/8".
The worst was my windows while driving. They kept freezing.

Don, those trail cameras have come down in price.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Covered in ice, dirty, but at its new home!

image_zpsfdeb77f4.jpg

image_zpsc964551c.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I've never seen it that dirty. The road was a little rough on it. I'm sure he'll have it cleaned up in no time .....after he takes a run or two in the snow. The snow might even clean some of it off for him. He'll have more snow than you to play in, so good for him and his new to him snow cat. :thumb: