Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 AM

DynatracGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Bombardier Muskeg oil bath air filter

I just got a Muskeg tractor with the Chrysler 251 ci flathead 6 industrial engine, complete with oil bath air filter. The hose to the carberater goes to the top of the air filter with oil cup on bottom. I was able to remove the oil cup but the filter element doesn't drop out. How do I remove the element for cleaning? Call me lazy, but I don't want to waste time taking the whole air cleaner out, but I will if I have to. BTW this engine is great for this application, lots of torque at the low end.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Bombardier Muskeg oil bath air filter

I took the whole thing off and it's soaking in soapy water. I still can't see any way to remove the element itself.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

all the oil bath filters I have worked with have never had a servicable screen the screen is just a baffle that causes dirt to drop out and get caught in the oil at the bottom of the cup the oil at the bottom is the only servicable part if the cup has been over filled and the screen material is gummed up than wash it in stoddard solvent and air dry it only fill the cup to the oil level line with sae 30 oil this is streight out of military manuals . Be advised that a good paper filter will out preform that oil bath filter.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
all the oil bath filters I have worked with have never had a servicable screen the screen is just a baffle that causes dirt to drop out and get caught in the oil at the bottom of the cup the oil at the bottom is the only servicable part if the cup has been over filled and the screen material is gummed up than wash it in stoddard solvent and air dry it only fill the cup to the oil level line with sae 30 oil this is streight out of military manuals . Be advised that a good paper filter will out preform that oil bath filter.
Thanks for the info, now I know I'm not losing my mind. I've been considering the cyclonic air filters used on ag gear. Very good for very dusty conditions. Gravel roads around here are extremely dusty in summer, crushed limestone is used.