• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Soyuz TMA-10 spacecraft

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
doesn't this look a little bit over charred? It is the Soyuz TMA-10 spacecraft that brought back 3 from the skylab.
201403110012hq.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim,

Just a guess, but I am thinking it is OK... If you ever saw the heat sheilding on any space craft that has re entered the atmosphere it will look similar. I think the heat sheilding on this craft blankets the entire exterior of the capsule. Not very much room for 3 men however...

The temperatures are extreme on re entry, and some charring and melting will be the case. In the case of our space shuttle the glass matrix tile is an exception, and comes back unharmed mostly anyway... It has it's own hazards with it as we have discovered, staying attached to the hull during re entry. The Apollo and Gemini capsules had sheilds thet most definately melted away, charred and burt.

I find it interesting that the Russian's have never done anything but hard ground landings and recoveries. We have always chosen the sea..

Regards, Kirk

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
There's a video somehwere from the cockpit of a Gemini during re-entry. Nothing but melting metal in flames flying by.