• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Husqvarna 346XP YIKES

JimR

Charter Member
Today I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Husky 346XP chainsaw. I have been looking for a used one for the last couple of weeks on C/L and Epay. The crazy prices people are asking for the old slower version and used newer updated version led me to just go out and buy a new one. I found that a few dealers were sold out of them. I also found that a few dealers are overpricing them by as much as $70.00 over MSRP. So I let my fingers do the walking and found a local dealer that had them for the suggested retail price. He also swapped out the 16" bar/chain for an 18" setup at no cost. The price was $489.00 plus tax. This saw has a two year warranty for homeowner use. I compared this saw to the Stihl MS260 PRO 3.4HP. This saw is more powerful, lighter, higher revving and cost less than the MS260 PRO. Buying the Husky was a no brainer for me. I came home and played with it right away. I went through four tanks of gas this afternoon with this saw. I have been using chainsaws since I was a kid back in the late 60's. I also own a Husqvarna 262XP, Husky 55 Rancher and Stihl 210c. Here is what I think of this 346XP. It is like a chainsaw on steroids. It screams to be let loose. It does not bog down, falter or even think it is cutting wood. It is by far the lightest and fastest saw that I have ever used or ever want to own. The weight is just over 11 pounds without the bar and chain. It produces 3.7HP and cranks a mean and wild 14,700 RPM's. Needless to say, this saw is dangerous. It will and can make a 4" round 6 foot log roll right up to your knee without even thinking about it. I know because it happened to me this afternoon. It is so fast that the log was up to my knee before I could even let off the trigger. I have owned many saws over the years and used plenty of other peoples saws. I have never in my life used a saw like this one. Now I am really glad that I went out and bought a new saw instead of a used saw. So if you are considering a new Husky 455 or 460, forget it. This saw is morepowerful and lighter. Yes, it does cost more to buy. The advantage is that you will be cutting more wood in the same amount of time and not having to use a heavier saw. Should anyone that reads this live in my area and would like to try it out, just email me. I have plenty of downed wood that needs to be cut up. :smile::smile::smile: Plus I will send you to the same dealer where I got mine. He does have them in stock.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Longer reply later but this damn pinched nerve has my right arm numb and typing is a bitch.

That's a damn nice saw. I'm a big fan of Husky's, so long as it's one of their professional models. The homeowners model.... well, go to Home Depot.

I have it's little brother, a 338xp that I use for topping trees. It's awesome at under 8 pounds and 2.3 HP. I run a 365 for the big stuff (it's been renamed and is now closest to the 372xp). I really want to connect that thing to one of those powered skateboards and see if I can break 100 mph.

JimR

Charter Member
I can't believe you bought something new! What happened? :poke:

PB, There comes a time where you have to decide Do I or Don't I. I figured a saw that revs as high as this one had better come with a warranty. People on C/L are asking $400-450 for that saw used. I found a nice older version for $325. The older motor size is 46cc vs 50cc and it only revs to 13,700. The HP is also lower on the older saw.