• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

For Sale: 1968 Snow Trac Trac Master SN: 1030

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am posting this TracMaster for a neighbor of mine. He bought it locally around 5 years ago played with it a bit and hasn't used it much for three years. It has been "rhino-lined" but IMO it is not the best job. The tires have been foam filled and it has dual batteries. He started up and drove it on the trailer after three years of no use. Otherwise, it is fairly complete. There is a broken part on the steering that he will have welded unless the purchaser would prefer to do the repair themselves.

In addition to this TracMaster the purchaser is going to get a fairly complete spare parts machine that is only missing the tracs. The spare machine may run but it has not been started since purchased and has been sitting in storage for at least five years. I do not have pictures of the spare machine. It is still buried in a remote barn and needs to be extricated. There may also be a trail grooming drag for it - if he can find it.

The seller would like to get $10,000 USD cash for this machine and the spare. The buyer will need to pick up both machines (South East Clark County, Washington area). The seller is not interested in parting out the machines or selling them seperately. He is looking for an easy cash sale so he can purchase a newer Snow-Cat.

Please post questions here. Only PM me if you are truly a committed buyer. If you are willing to pay more than $10000 then please PM me with your higher bid. If I can't find a legitimate buyer here then we will probably list it on eBay.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: For Sale: 1967 TracMaster SN: 1030

Just a reminder to interested buyers:

The seller would like to get $10,000 USD cash for this machine and the spare. The buyer will need to pick up both machines (South East Clark County, Washington area). The seller is not interested in parting out the machines or selling them seperately. He is looking for an easy cash sale so he can purchase a newer Snow-Cat.

Please post questions here. Only PM me if you are truly a committed buyer. If you are willing to pay more than $10000 then please PM me with your higher bid.

For the record, I'm not making any money off this. I'm not going to knock myself out making calls or crawling around the machine.

The seller wants to get rid of this but I don't think he will go to great extremes or want to do any sort of complicated deals.

I'm just posting this here because I know there would be interested people here.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter

I am very interested in the parts machine. If anyone wants the running one PM me as I can pick them up and store them til summer.

From the picture it looks like the tracks have been reworked with L-angle steel cleats and the original lights are gone. Is it the ST25 C bracket that is broken on the steering?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

I am very interested in the parts machine. If anyone wants the running one PM me as I can pick them up and store them til summer.

From the picture it looks like the tracks have been reworked with L-angle steel cleats and the original lights are gone. Is it the ST25 C bracket that is broken on the steering?

If you can tell me (or show me a picture) of the ST25 C bracket then I might be able to go over and see if that is it.

The owner is out at his cabin today so answering questions is difficult.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter

This is one I have that has been repaired after several breaks. It is not one I repaired it came to me in this shape.

Attachments

• ST25.pdf
    52.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 962 004.jpg
    962 004.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 962 006.jpg
    962 006.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 962 003.jpg
    962 003.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,217
  • 962 005.jpg
    962 005.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,188

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

WOW I didnt think those could be welded up!

Attachments

• Picture 20.png
    Picture 20.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,187

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Some years ago I wrote an article, and I don't know how many times I explained it to folks: ST25, that's that part is Designed to break. If you beef it up then the parallel bars that operate on the thrust bearings collapse. Beef these up and one starts demolishing the Chives themselves and grinding out thrust bearings. I had molds made, which Warren has, and had plenty of spare ST25's made. However, if you "live and die" by the little tag just below the steering columb, it NEVER breaks. THEY ONLY BREAK when people force the steering when the machine isn't moving. In thousands of miles in snow trac's, snow masters, and trac masters we never succeded in breaking one. Still I've had to replace over a dozen. Generally it was Kids, or some burly brute impatiently forcing it, WHEN THE MACHINE WASN'T MOVING!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

OK, I'll see if I can check on that part it may not be until tomorrow though. Word on the street is that an offer has been made on this TracMaster.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

I forgot Warren had the molds. Replacement parts should not be a problem to get BUT may take some time. Anyone hear from Warren lately? I know was really busy in the summer.

HEY WARREN. How about we get a few of those ST25 made up?

Last edited:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

St 25 is a breeze to replace. Under duress, alone, I swaped one out in less than an hour. I had an St 4 for sale at this place that sold Trucks. They went to move it. YEP, didn't head the warning tag! Some hercin (Herculean?) truck driver, cranked it right around while the machine wasn't running. Tuckers have a similar warning label, but they are tougher, still they put that tag there for a reason. We always carried a spare. I'm sure Earl and Ron both have spares in their machines all the time. Highly recomended if your going any major distance from civilazition.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

The seller is going to extricate the parts machine tomorrow so I should have pictures of it by Saturday afternoon. But it might be full of snow. Apparently, it wasn't in a barn.

I'll try and see if it is the ST25 part that is broken on the good machine.

If no one here buys it for $10K it will be listed locally on Craigslist then eBay.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter

What does that V belt off the crank run?

The long belt runs an engine cooling fan to help cool the VW air cooled motor when it is warm out or the machine is working hard. It can be taken off by loosening the belt pulley bracket bolts to let the machine operate at very cold temps and helps to warm the engine faster in cold climates.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

I couldn't tell if it was the ST25 C Bracket. Here's some close-ups of the steering area where something didn't look quite right.

The good news is that if it is the ST25 C Bracket it looks like the parts machine has one.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: For Sale: 1967 Snow Trac TracMaster SN: 1030

Here's the parts machine. Maybe not as complete as I was thought but better than nothing. I couldn't see the Serial Number anywhere but it may still be under a panel that is under the snow.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

More Parts Machine and the Running Machine.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

That Brown "Part's Machine" Looks suspiciously like the "Crush Master" that I hauled to Bill Guthries place as a favor. It previously belonged to the son of a doctor who used it for taking skiiers around, they had it in a lean-to shed off the side of a ski chalet at Crystal Mt. The snow crushed the body pretty good. Prior to that it belonged to a Sawmill guy that worked for Wirehauser and was used for scouting and timber sizing in and around Greenwater Washington. I believe Bill had purchased it in some type of swap, sight un seen. Then he didn't get a truck up to the chalet before the first winter snows so it sat and gut crushed. As I live near there and had a special truck all set up just for hauling a Snow Master or Snow Trac I agreed to haul it for him the next summer. When Earl and I arrived at Bills place in Weiser Idahoe, he wife raised bloody hell and chewed me out for bringing such a piece of junk to their lot(they have mostly Nice Stuff at Sales Unlimited) and proceeded to chew husband out for buying it! That's probably the story of that machine, from cradle to grave.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If this is the machine I was reffering to the right hand tower for the variator went into the most photographed ST4, RED/YELLOW, in both the Hot VW's Article, and the VW Trends Article. That machine currently resides near Stevens Pass in Washington. The whole, Complete Snow Master(Red) in the Bulk of this thread looks to be in very good condition, well maintained, and is easily worth what the seller is asking, especially as it comes with spares.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter

If this is the machine I was reffering to the right hand tower for the variator went into the most photographed ST4, RED/YELLOW, in both the Hot VW's Article, and the VW Trends Article. That machine currently resides near Stevens Pass in Washington. The whole, Complete Snow Master(Red) in the Bulk of this thread looks to be in very good condition, well maintained, and is easily worth what the seller is asking, especially as it comes with spares.

Bill had one for sale several years back that I would have liked to buy but I couldnt afford it. It had a custom aluminum diamond plate cab modification from the drivers window back. Do you think Bill rebuilt it and this is another one?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Thanks Lyndon. I think it is a good deal for the two machines. I probably should have thought the pricing strategy through more before posting it here. Everybody wants to knock something off the asking price.

Any suggestions for other locations to list it? I was thinking of trying the Bend, OR or Spokane, WA Craigslists and then if necessary going to eBay. It will be listed for a higher price obviously.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

OK, last chance before it goes on Craigslist and eBay. It looks like the trail grooming drag IS included for the $10K price. We are not going lower than $10K. In the next few hours the asking price goes up to $12K.

Interesting how the guy doing the posting says he is not getting anything out of the " DEAL " but the price keeps going up from originaly $ 8000.00 to $ 12000.00 !!!!!! after the brokers got involved...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Interesting how the guy doing the posting says he is not getting anything out of the " DEAL " but the price keeps going up from originaly $ 8000.00 to $ 12000.00 !!!!!! after the brokers got involved...

It has never been posted officially for $8000 but unfortunately some members here suggested to the seller that the price was too low and that he could get more so it was posted here at $10000. It has always been officially posted at $10000.

I have nothing to gain from this. Just helping a neighbor out and thought that some people here would like first dibs at what I thought was a good price.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Well here it is on eBay: 1967 1967 Aktiv Snow Trac Trac-Master

I think that this unit is actually a 1968 based on the serial number of 1030.
Per the "CHASSIS NUMBER & YEAR OF MANUFACTURE" list:

915-929,970-1039...1968......85............Trac-Master ST4B

It is very similar to the 1968 FBI Rig that is serial number 0922. :applause:

Any guesses on what it will go for?

My bad - it probably is a 1968. I can't bet on what it will go for anymore - I'm confused by the whole thing. I think the final selling price will depend upon how long the seller is willing to wait. I suspect the first 10K that comes his way will take it.