• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

just made another step----

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
---- into the battery powered world with an EGO 54v electric self propelled mower. It's my early birthday present and it's really early to use here as there's still some snow on the ground. I'm curious as to how well it will work with the dethatching blade and if it will bag it well. We'll see.
Mike

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
---- into the battery powered world with an EGO 54v electric self propelled mower. It's my early birthday present and it's really early to use here as there's still some snow on the ground. I'm curious as to how well it will work with the dethatching blade and if it will bag it well. We'll see.
Mike

If you want to test it out bring it by. Already mowed twice and it needs it again. :bolt:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike

I am looking at one of those as well. I like the EGO the best.

You made a wise choice IMHO. Did you know that EGO is one of the few electric mower that when you release the self propel lever it will go into free wheel mode instantly. This is huge for me as I use my walk behind only in areas that is too cumbersome to run the tractor. Some do not release to free wheel for a few seconds. That is no good for me. The Toro, an otherwise good machine with a steel deck, is like that.

Which model did you get. I am looking at the one with the 7.5AH battery, self propelled. The one with all the bells and whistles.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, TR, it is the 21" self propelled w/ the 7.5 batt says it's supposed to cut 60 min and recharge in 60 min. The wheel drive is independent of the blade drive. Yes the wheel drive does go into free wheel when shut off and sometimes to pull it backward you have to push it forward a little to free wheel backward. I adapted my dethatching blade with the plastic strings to it today. Had to tack the little adapter with the 3/8" hole in the center and ream it out to slightly over 5/8". When the front yard dries enough I'll see how well it does. I found the motor is well protected as I was dethatching just to see how it would do and hit a high spot and it instantly stopped and the amber lite started flashing. Linda wanted to talk for a minute, so left it and when I came back it was ready to go. For mowing mine will be used mainly for around all the edges and the Dixon does the rest. I can't mow with it yet 'cause my grass is still asleep. Our local Ace had it for $529 and a $30 off for their club members so the $30 off almost ate up the sales tax, LOL. Home Depot had the same for $499 but that would be a 120 mi round trip for me. For about $100 more you can get the 2 blade model. I don't what the point of it is unless it's a better mulcher.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, TR, it is the 21" self propelled w/ the 7.5 batt says it's supposed to cut 60 min and recharge in 60 min. The wheel drive is independent of the blade drive. Yes the wheel drive does go into free wheel when shut off and sometimes to pull it backward you have to push it forward a little to free wheel backward. I adapted my dethatching blade with the plastic strings to it today. Had to tack the little adapter with the 3/8" hole in the center and ream it out to slightly over 5/8". When the front yard dries enough I'll see how well it does. I found the motor is well protected as I was dethatching just to see how it would do and hit a high spot and it instantly stopped and the amber lite started flashing. Linda wanted to talk for a minute, so left it and when I came back it was ready to go. For mowing mine will be used mainly for around all the edges and the Dixon does the rest. I can't mow with it yet 'cause my grass is still asleep. Our local Ace had it for $529 and a $30 off for their club members so the $30 off almost ate up the sales tax, LOL. Home Depot had the same for $499 but that would be a 120 mi round trip for me. For about $100 more you can get the 2 blade model. I don't what the point of it is unless it's a better mulcher.
Mike

Yep, sound excellent. I see you did your homework as well.

I believe the 100 dollars extra buys you the two blades and a 10 AH battery. There is a YouTube video of the unit but it came with the 7.5 instead.

I would buy the exact one you purchased, but the LawnBoy is still running good after 17 years so we shall see what summer brings.

In the meantime, I will be interested to see how it works out for you. I hope you have good luck with it. At any rate, I do believe I currently own my last gasoline powered lawn mower given the advances electric mowers have made.