• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1985 PB 130D Alternator replacement.

pagosadave

Picked up my new alternator today and I’m installing it but noticed it doesn’t have two posts for two smaller wires that I’m not sure what they are for or if I can just ground them to another post on the new unit.

picture.php

Old unit and new unit side by side.

picture.php

Close up of posts on old unit.

picture.php

Close up of new unit.

Any ideas what that post is for labeled “w” on the old unit?

Thanks in advance for the help folks.

olympicorange

Picked up my new alternator today and I’m installing it but noticed it doesn’t have two posts for two smaller wires that I’m not sure what they are for or if I can just ground them to another post on the new unit.

picture.php

Old unit and new unit side by side.

picture.php

Close up of posts on old unit.

picture.php

Close up of new unit.

Any ideas what that post is for labeled “w” on the old unit?

Thanks in advance for the help folks.
got any pics of the back of the alt's..... or is my laptop messed up again....

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be on the number given to you .that is what they are for. if that is a pb part.

pagosadave

So the “W” post on the alternator is for the Tachometer. The other is for the ground. I decided to swap out the volt regulator and brushes and use the old alt since buying a new one from Mercedes would be $1000 and or retro fitting the new one was over my pay grade. So far...works fine.

Still waiting on my other parts to arrive. 2 injectors, valve cover gasket, fuel separator filter and fallline is making new cross country combs next week so I should have that squared away soon.

Doing the oil change today and gonna try to tackle some of my ATF leaks. Any opinions on what ATF is the best for this machine? I think someone’s been putting cheap tractor supply fluids in this baby. Should I be concerned?

Dave

Use 32 hydraulic fluid or use type F ATF. Which ever type the cat currently uses. If someone has been mixing the two then a fluid and filter flush is in order. Mercon/Dextron can also be used but type F has better lubricating properties for this application. I usually buy chevron products as that is what my supplier has the best selection of.

pagosadave

Use 32 hydraulic fluid or use type F ATF. Which ever type the cat currently uses. If someone has been mixing the two then a fluid and filter flush is in order. Mercon/Dextron can also be used but type F has better lubricating properties for this application. I usually buy chevron products as that is what my supplier has the best selection of.

Educate me on the fluid and filter flush...are the filters reusable? What is the best way to flush the system? I pulled probably the hardest fitting to get to last night. Found a blown o-ring that will take all of 5 minutes to fix but getting that cat up on blocks and safe to crawl under with the tracks and blade on was a chore. Headed to town this morning to pick up parts. Excited.

I'm sure no one cares what my day entails and what I'm doing, however I have decided to use this forum as a journal for the maintenance I'm doing on this cat.

Thanks for your responses Alaska Snow Cat. Did I mention we bought this PB from Valdez, AK in the late 90's?

Red130

Sent you a PM. For hydraulic fluid on the PB130D use ATF Type F. It can be difficult to find locally other than in quarts, so you may have to order from NAPA or other parts store.