• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier Bombi 2.4 Mercedes diesel conversion

undy

Hi Camaro350,
Welcome to the group.
Do you happen to know the weights of the two different drive trains? I'd assume the Merc. diesel is heavier, but...?

camaro350

I'm not sure, the trannys are the same weight. The engine is probably a couple hundred pounds more. It really fills the engine bay up. I took it for a test run yesterday and you dont have to downshift from 4th often. Even lugging down and turning to go up a hill. It has alot of torque.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Test the unit on side hills both ways and up and down. If the terrain is any thing like what we have, 35- 40 degrees, not percent, grades are common. Watch your oil pressure as many automotive and industrial engines are not able to accommodate these angles. Deep sumping and careful location of the oil pump suction can take care of this problem. A low pressure audio alarm could work for you if these angles are not frequently driven on.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like a cool project and you should be happy with the upgrade. I can tell you that it takes a lot of hands to drive something with a manual transmission, steering sticks, and a snow plow. I see your name is camaro350, I heard a rumor you can put a Chevy V8 in one of those. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EB1bxrh1b7Y Good luck with your project, looking forward to more pictures and maybe a video.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I adopted a 2.4L Mercedes Bombi with an auto tranny. It was built by a forum member here, I loved it.

I moved it along after trying a couple times to adapt a Hydraulic pump in there with every thing else, it was just more of a project and I needed a bigger platform as the drag it was intended to pull was much too large.
I did not have a foot brake, at least not one that worked, I did not care for having to constantly pull on the sticks to sit still or back up to a hitch.
Power wise it was quite fun to operate. The machine could over work its size easily. It was remarkably fast with the over drive transmission.

Nice looking work

camaro350

I will be sure to check if I am retaining oil pressure on hillsides, i never thought about that. My dad and i have been plowing with this machine with the truck plow for about 4 years and the Bombi actually handles it well for being a smaller cat. We have some counter weight in the rear to offset the weight of the plow. We were just wanting a little more torque than factory and here where we live in West Virginia it sets all summer and the gas would be bad every winter. I'm going for a factory look. I'm a machinist so it has its share of custom parts.

20180606_153949_zpsjvbspdrc.jpg.html