• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My new favorite snow machine

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
This stuff is just too much fun. I finally got my skis finished. Now I'm working on building a ski for the tail wheel.

Attachments

• Skis (16).JPG
    Skis (16).JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 308
  • Skis (15).JPG
    Skis (15).JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 311

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, no clue about piloting a plane so this may be a really silly question, but would the tail ski be fixed or will it pivot? I'm curious because on the land I don't know if the tail of the plane is what is used to turn the direction of the craft or if it is the tail wheel that will turn the craft? I guess it boils down to the question does the tail wheel rotate freely on a central pivot point (like a free caster).

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The tail wheel is attached to the rudder on the back of the plane and is used to steer when taxiing slowly on the ground. It can "unlock" to swivel for tight maneuvering.

With a ski attached the swivel feature is overridden so that it won't tangle the cables.

Not a silly question.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So with the ski attached the tail wheel will be fixed?

That makes perfect sense while the plane is flying, don't want a floppy ski spinning around back there. But what about for on the ground turning?

If the ski is fixed will it have sharp edges like a downhill ski? Or will it have soft edges so it can skid a little on the snow for turning?

mak2

If I could just fly around, land and ice fish I dont think I would work all winter.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Its attached to the "fork" of the tailwheel, allowing it to turn for steering, but not swivel. Wide turns only...

The tail ski will either have a wheel(s) on it or allow the existing wheel poke through for hard surface operations, like the main gear skis.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK gotcha now! That makes a lot more sense to me.

Any photos of that design?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So a wheeled version would have the wheel poking through a slot in the center of the ski allowing it to be used on snow or solid surface?