• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PFERD chain sharpener

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Someone needs to educate him about back dragging the file. I've tried the dremel stone and I still like the old hand file best.
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, I've never even seen it before. I used to use a file before graduating to a Dremmel but a few years ago I got an electric chain sharpener. You have to unmount the chain from the bar but once it is on the sharpener, it only takes about five minutes to finish touching up the teeth and it does a great job every time.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone needs to educate him about back dragging the file. I've tried the dremel stone and I still like the old hand file best.
Mike
Yeah, me too.

Nope, I've never even seen it before. I used to use a file before graduating to a Dremmel but a few years ago I got an electric chain sharpener. You have to unmount the chain from the bar but once it is on the sharpener, it only takes about five minutes to finish touching up the teeth and it does a great job every time.
I'd like to have an electric sharpener too but I can't see taking the chain off to sharpen it. Might not be a bid deal but I'd prefer not to do that.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are still looking for a file guide .....
The pferd is excellent . If you are doing a lot of Stihl chain look at the Stihl FG1 file guides . If you are doing a lot of Oregon and Husqvarna chain ,look at the Oregon /Husq. roller guides . You have to dress the rakers separately with these guides , but they help hold the cutter angles better than the pferd . So, it's kind of a compromise . I've got all those along with the Timberline ,and the ATOP jig ,and a Stihl USG grinder . You can't go wrong with any of them as long a you take the time to learn to use them .