• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow tracs window molding & track belting

deerhunter

Hi All: I am going to start my restoration on my St-4B that I got this spring. I am looking for a source for the rubber around the windows, in case I harm any in removing. After all they are 35 years old, and don't look bad--but I have not moved them yet. Also will be looking for a source for the track belting. The outer belt has fractures on outer edge. I will be taking photos of before and after and will try to post them. But I'm old school and have trouble with these computers sometimes. Thanks for the help. My machine is a 1976 serial # 1975 Rolie

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most any auto parts store, or some of the auto parts mail order houses has compatible window trim. Its often sold by the foot, in pre-cut lengths or in rolls.

There are places that sell snowcat track belts, or you can also use conveyor belt material. There are many different grades, some suitable for snowcats and some not. Check for exterior grade belting if you use conveyor belt material. A few simple google searches will turn up sources for belting.

deerhunter

Thanks for the info---I have discussed it with my auto parts guy and have sent for some catalogs on window molding. Also on the belting I am looking into some round bailer belting from some of my farmer friends. That I would think would be good industrial outdoor material. Have you any instruction on how to attach a photo? Thank for your help. Rolie

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would agree that bailer belting would probably work well IF IT WILL HANDLE the wet snow AND cold temperatures. It must remain pliable in cold weather. Some belting can crack in cold temps. I would be that being an agricultural product it would easily handle wet conditions, but I'd make sure it could also work well in freezing conditions.

As for how to attach photos that is pretty easy once you figure it out! First, hit the POST REPLY button instead of using the "Quick Reply" box. After you type your message, scroll down and you will see some options including managing attachments. Photos are considered attachments. Click on the managing attachments button and follow the instructions.

deerhunter

I can not post photos..My computer says it can not upload photos. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Sorry Rolie

deerhunter

I believe the photo files are too large. 3264 X 2448 JPEG I will get some help on making the size smaller. Rolie

AKdadio

FYI, if you have iPhoto there is an easy way to shrink it... click the email button from within iPhoto and select the middle size, then email it to yourself. It is the size that fits the forum. Or, take a new photo with the camera and tell the camera (in settings) to take a smaller picture. Or,... there are many other ways. Those two are easy.

deerhunter

Thanks for the info. I am taking the photo from my camera to the computer and than uploading into this forum. Clearly my computer skills are very weak. I will try to get someone local to help, as my grandchildern are from 2 to 4 years of age and I need to get them a few more years before they can help (say 6 or 7) I started the teardown today. tracks off--machine in the building, tires off (front shaft frame has some slop, but the idlers are real good.) Rolie