• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sweet potato plants and deer

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just got my sweet potato plants and planted them. Stringy little things sticking out of the ground they are not bulbs. Afraid the deer will come and pull them right out do I need to be worried?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If they like the taste they will eat them. They have been browsing my silage peas a lot. Turkeys like them also. If they have good forage they may pass them by. You can throw mothballs along the edge and it helps for a while.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I planted some potatos about 6 weeks ago and now the green sprouts are sitcking about 6-7 inches out of the ground. So far, only 1 has been eaten. So just for kicks I dug that potato out of the ground to see how big it was....

Nothing! Just the hunk of potato that i originally planted! Guess it takes a few months for these things to actually produce.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This morning my neighbor told me he mixes some eggs with hot sauce (Texas Pete / tobasco / etc.), adds a few drops of dish washing liquid, then sprays his roses and flowers. He claims that so far the deer have not bothered his flowers and roses.

Anyone else tried something like this concoction?

Bob

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I planted some potatos about 6 weeks ago and now the green sprouts are sitcking about 6-7 inches out of the ground. So far, only 1 has been eaten. So just for kicks I dug that potato out of the ground to see how big it was....

Nothing! Just the hunk of potato that i originally planted! Guess it takes a few months for these things to actually produce.
10 weeks is the norm from the time of planting in my limited experience. :unsure:

As far as the deer eating sweet potato plants, i would bet money on it because so far they have ate every friggen thing else including ALL of my wifes roses. Thats a first for us, cuz we have never had anything mess with the roses until last week. :doh:

Attachments

• deerroses 001.JPG
    deerroses 001.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 25
  • deerroses 002.JPG
    deerroses 002.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 25
  • deerroses 004.JPG
    deerroses 004.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
TSC and runnings have a product call liquid fence. You can buy it premixed or mix it your self. Spray once a week for three weeks, then once a month after that.

Two years ago I only sprayed once and the deer stayed out of the cucumbers for almost the entire summer.

This stuff works!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
TSC and runnings have a product call liquid fence. You can buy it premixed or mix it your self. Spray once a week for three weeks, then once a month after that.

Two years ago I only sprayed once and the deer stayed out of the cucumbers for almost the entire summer.

This stuff works!

I have used the liquid fence before and it works foe about a week or until it rains. I am worried as these are just a weed at this point and if the Deer even nibble on it they will pull it out.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used the liquid fence before and it works foe about a week or until it rains. I am worried as these are just a weed at this point and if the Deer even nibble on it they will pull it out.
Any updates on how your sweet tater plants are doing? :unsure:

So far we have been lucky even with the heat our gardens doing really well so far except for the letuce. We have got lots of Zuchini, tomatoes, green peppers and lots of small cantalope and watermelon that arent to far off, the sweet tater plants are hanging in there, and the regular taters are only a week or so away, no clue what we will find when we dig those up though. :smile:

I am disapointed in the "bacon tree" my wife bought off of Ebay though. :whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know about sweet taters, I've never tried to grow them but once those darned deer found our peach trees that was the last of them. All gone in a couple of days. They've left the rest of the stuff pretty much alone ... for now.