• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone know what this pump was used for?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Does your house have a hot water heating system ? The pump in the picture looks like a water circulation pump with an expansion tank. Those are commonly used with a hot water boiler system & radiators (older house) or baseboard heat exchangers (newer systems).

Hope this helps...........

Tom

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks to me a pump for distributing water throughout a house. It looks exactly like the one that use to be in my grandmothers house.

79bombi

Site Supporter
Does your house have a hot water heating system ? The pump in the picture looks like a water circulation pump with an expansion tank. Those are commonly used with a hot water boiler system & radiators (older house) or baseboard heat exchangers (newer systems).

Hope this helps...........

Tom

The house was an old summer cottage that had electric heat. Do you think they had it hooked to the well to provide water? It is also next to a creek which made me wonder if they were pumping water out of the creek for use in the house? The house was built in 1950.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
That would be a really-really old one.

If you are referring to my age then :moon: :poke: Keep in mind it was not 5 years prior to your mother bringing your butt :mrgreen: into this world did my grandmother get running water in her house. Prior to 1965 and at roughly 60 years old she hand pumped and carried the water into her house. :tongue:

Last edited:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
The house was an old summer cottage that had electric heat. Do you think they had it hooked to the well to provide water? It is also next to a creek which made me wonder if they were pumping water out of the creek for use in the house? The house was built in 1950.

Lots of old pumps end up as irrigation or sprinkler pumps in their second life. My grandfather lived on a lake in his retirement years & used a similar one (without the expansion tank) to water his lawn. So yes, it's logical that they may have pumped from the creek at some time. Did you find a section of old 2" hose with a strainer on the end laying around too ?

Deerlope

It is for pumping water out of a well , river, creek, or pond etc to supply a house or cottage. The small copper tube is an air volume control, used to mantain the proper amount of air to water ratio in the tank. If the tank has all water each time you open a facuet the pump will start thus shorting the life of the motor. What ever size the tank is (gallons) you should be able to run off 1/5 of the volume before the motor starts. I have never seen one just like that but have worked on many on farms and rural residents.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
That sticker on it looks like the old civil defense logo from when us old timers were kids.
Mike