• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old Movies

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Anyone here into "Old" movies...you know B&W, non colorized? The wife and I watched one last night (Xmas eve) that I hadn't seen in YEARS...

The Bishops Wife. It starred Carey Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young. I don't know if it's because I've gotten older or I've finally paid attention enough but it was an absolute stitch of a movie. And how they used the comedy to get the point across about what's really important in life. It was on the history channel. Highly recomended...:thumb:

rico304

Not a movie, but Gunsmoke...."starring James Arness as Matt Dillon"

I had to add that last part.:)

Movies.......To Kill a Mockingbird

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) Some very dramatic scenes, with no music!
Little Caesar (1931)
King Kong (1933)
Captain Blood (1935) Yeah baby, one of my all time favorite swashbucklers.
My Man Godfrey (1936)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

His Girl Friday (1940)
Ball of Fire (1941) Best known for 'The Big Valley' and 'Double Indemnity', Barbara Stanwyck starrred in a lot of movies in the '30s and '40s that are a hoot. She usually played gun molls and burlesque queens.
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Sergeant York (1941) Gobble, gobble! :yum:
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) Charge!
Going My Way (1944) Almost a music, which I'm not found of, but great otherwise.
Great Expectations (1946) I was actually nicknamed 'Pip' in HS because of having to read the book in english class. :pirate:
It's a Wonderful Life (1946) I can't help it, I have to watch it every time it commes on.
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) I liked the TV series, too.
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) For you Marines. :tiphat:

Born Yesterday (1950)
Harvey (1950) Just plain cute.
The African Queen (1951) Technicolor, does that count? I heard someone in FL found and restored the boat and putters around in it. Anyone seen it?
The Quiet Man (1952) Went to Ireland a few years ago and got a picture near the famous bridge in the movie.
From Here to Eternity (1953) Sinatras best acting? I think so, the little 'tough monkey'. :yum:
20000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Technicolor, does that count? Never could decide who side to be one, but I lean towards Capt. Nemo, how 'bout you?
Mister Roberts (1955)
Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) Technicolor, does that count?
Forbidden Planet (1956) Eastman Color, does that count. See Leslie Nielson NOT doing comedy!
The Ten Commandments (1956) Techniclor, does that count?
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957) DeLuxe, does that count? A must watch. Sexual tension with a nun, but we get through it. :pat:
Ben-Hur (1959) Technicolor, does that count? Great, great, great chariot race scenes.

Spartacus (1960) Technicolor, does that count?
The Time Machine (1960) Metrocolor, does that count?
The Parent Trap (1961) Technicolor, does that count? What can I say, I love all those old Disney movies.
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) Technicolor, does that count. Something about Peter O'Toole bugs me, I think it's his mannerisms. But he was great in this!
Father Goose (1964) Technicolor, does that count? A must watch. Definitely one of my all time favorites. I could be him, less the booze!
Mary Poppins (1964) Technicolor, does that count? It's my Disney movie addiction acting up again, sorry. :hide:
The Sound of Music (1965) DeLuxe, does that count? It feels like a Disney movie.
The Flight of the Phoenix (1965) DeLuxe, does that count? Do you walk in circles?

Aw, heck. I give up. There are just too many. The easiest thing to do is list a few of the actors and actresses that make an old movie an automatic 'must see'.

Cary Grant
Bogie and Bacall
Gary Cooper
Barbara Stanwyck
Gene Tierney
Jean Authur
Dick Powell
William Holden
Alan Ladd
Errol Flynn
Mickey Rooney
John Wayne