• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Germination, baby!

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
So I got what I think are pear seeds to germinate in the fridge. I had given up on them and went in to throw them away when I noticed that they had finally germinated after months of waiting. Apple seeds in there now. I have planted the germinated "pear" seeds and now we wait to see if they sprout.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
But, but Rusty, the next question would be will you live long enough to see those pear seeds grow into fruit bearing trees? I sure as hell know I wouldn't. :yum:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
LOL This is all experimental from store-bought fruit. If they grow, fantastic! If not, hell, I still had a nice snack. :D
Actually, to be honest, I'm not sure what to expect. Looked to be some mold growing in the paper towel and on the seeds. Put 'em in dirt anyway, just to see what happens.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mold in Rusty's fridge? There is something growing but it ain't likely trees.:yum::yum:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
So far it's working. I've got sprouts! Pretty surprising, considering they are seeds from something I bought in a grocery store. Nice perk to a pretty shitty day.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL I had it contained in a Ziploc! Now it's in a makeshift greenhouse:
We use those type of containers all the time. They work good for starter houses. If you have sprouts let them get a little size and then split them up into individual little pots. Put a lid under them and water from the bottom if possible.Plastic coffee can lids work good.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Water from the bottom? Water ain't gonna stay in a coffee can lid very long, especially when the heat kicks in. But, yes, they will be separated soon as they get a bit of girth to 'em. Going to the Home Depot tomorrow to get some planters, since we plan on staying in the apartment for a couple more years.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well use an aluminum pie pan from a meat pie. When they get wrinkled up that is what we do with them.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
The leaves on the grape plant are already scrunching. Lives in the sun all day, and comes inside to stay warm overnight. thoughts?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They like drainage and not too much water. They also don't like the swings in temp from going in and out. Should be able to stay out down where you are. I have raspberries spreading like mad and taking root. Want to cut some suckers and move them to the back fence before the rain comes Sunday.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Last few nights have been well below freezing. From here on out, things should keep warming up. Maybe I'll keep it outside from tomorrow on. The pot it's in does have decent drainage.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool! you can plant one next to my grave....You won't get fruit for a good while.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
No kidding! But I figure that by the time we are in our house and have some land, hopefully no more than 2 years away, the plant should be plenty big to set in the ground. Going to need to get another one going, though, for pollination, too. It was kinda neat, when I opened it up to get the picture, steam came off of the soil.

Here's where it is at now:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8