• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GSA Tucker

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
PJL, Thanks for posting that link. Just a few days before I had searched gsaauctions.gov and used "tucker". Nothing came up.

I bid on that machine... and once again was a bride’s maid and not the bride (I didn’t “win”). My snowcat buddy, Scott and I studied the incomplete photos and the similarly incomplete description. Like sleddogracer, we thought it looked to be in unusually nice condition, but without more photos and a better description, we were making assumptions, and if wrong - they can be costly.

Last winter we spent one evening "spit-balling" about Tucker valuations; the idea being to come up with a guide to asses what a particular machine was worth. Essentially a Blue Book for different machine configurations and options. These numbers are not scientific at all. Really it’s more what a couple of knuckleheads think add value to a machine, and make it more attractive to buyers in a monetary way. For example, we think a two door cab is the least functional from the perspective of most buyers, and a three door or four door is more desirable and thus makes a machine worth more. Three door Tuckers are the rarest in the rubber-belted Tucker world, and four doors are a bit more common. Either way though, we think a three door or four door configuration adds $5K in value. We came up with values for various common options and configurations.

The Idaho machine is a 1544; four door cab with mid length tracks. It has a four headlight grille. No information on powertrain, so we assumed the standard 318/manual transmission. It does not have long tracks, damper wheels, no factory winch, no six-way blade, etc. Our analysis showed the options to add $6,100 in value to the machine. Truthfully, we don’t sell many Tuckers, but when we do we want to be able to look a prospective buyer in the eye and confidently tell them the machine works well and should be reliable without exception. To be able to do that we have to fully inspect the machine and make repairs and adjustments as necessary, in addition to a complete service of fluids, filters, engine tune-up, wiper blades, etc, etc. Cosmetically it needs to be nice. No excuses, no under-dash or under-hood wiring buffoonery, no upholstery coming apart, etc.

We thought that machine, in no-excuses and fully serviced condition, is worth about $24K. It gets a significant premium for the overall condition, but even so, that’s it. Scott and I were only interested in this Tucker if we could buy it, make the required repairs and servicing and sell it at a profit. With so many assumptions on mechanical condition, we needed to have room in the budget for contingencies and decided we needed a gross margin of $4K. My max was therefore $20K, and it sold for one bid increment above that.

My opinion is one has to do their homework and research in formulating a maximum bid. There's a natural temptation to increase your bid "just a little" to win, but you must have the discipline to stick with your analysis. If you win; great. But if you don’t, you should be confident in your numbers to the point that you’re perfectly fine with “losing”. That’s exactly how I feel.

PJL, Thanks for posting that link. Just a few days before I had searched gsaauctions.gov and used "tucker". Nothing came up.

I bid on that machine... and once again was a bride’s maid and not the bride (I didn’t “win”). My snowcat buddy, Scott and I studied the incomplete photos and the similarly incomplete description. Like sleddogracer, we thought it looked to be in unusually nice condition, but without more photos and a better description, we were making assumptions, and if wrong - they can be costly.

Last winter we spent one evening "spit-balling" about Tucker valuations; the idea being to come up with a guide to asses what a particular machine was worth. Essentially a Blue Book for different machine configurations and options. These numbers are not scientific at all. Really it’s more what a couple of knuckleheads think add value to a machine, and make it more attractive to buyers in a monetary way. For example, we think a two door cab is the least functional from the perspective of most buyers, and a three door or four door is more desirable and thus makes a machine worth more. Three door Tuckers are the rarest in the rubber-belted Tucker world, and four doors are a bit more common. Either way though, we think a three door or four door configuration adds $5K in value. We came up with values for various common options and configurations.

The Idaho machine is a 1544; four door cab with mid length tracks. It has a four headlight grille. No information on powertrain, so we assumed the standard 318/manual transmission. It does not have long tracks, damper wheels, no factory winch, no six-way blade, etc. Our analysis showed the options to add $6,100 in value to the machine. Truthfully, we don’t sell many Tuckers, but when we do we want to be able to look a prospective buyer in the eye and confidently tell them the machine works well and should be reliable without exception. To be able to do that we have to fully inspect the machine and make repairs and adjustments as necessary, in addition to a complete service of fluids, filters, engine tune-up, wiper blades, etc, etc. Cosmetically it needs to be nice. No excuses, no under-dash or under-hood wiring buffoonery, no upholstery coming apart, etc.

We thought that machine, in no-excuses and fully serviced condition, is worth about $24K. It gets a significant premium for the overall condition, but even so, that’s it. Scott and I were only interested in this Tucker if we could buy it, make the required repairs and servicing and sell it at a profit. With so many assumptions on mechanical condition, we needed to have room in the budget for contingencies and decided we needed a gross margin of $4K. My max was therefore $20K, and it sold for one bid increment above that.

My opinion is one has to do their homework and research in formulating a maximum bid. There's a natural temptation to increase your bid "just a little" to win, but you must have the discipline to stick with your analysis. If you win; great. But if you don’t, you should be confident in your numbers to the point that you’re perfectly fine with “losing”. That’s exactly how I feel.

thanks - I have no plans to sell my 1344 with under 1400 hours, ex utility tucker any time soon, but I still like to keep up to date with prices - it doesn't appear that I paid too much for mine, and reaffirms what I've gathered by seeing what other cats have sold for, that mine is likely worth slightly more than I have in it

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
I called the contact for this cat and got some additional info and decided to head over and have a look at it the closing day of bidding. I ran into trouble on the way and didn't get to put an eye on it, but here's what I found from the contact.

The government ordered it and owned it since new. It has run very little in the last three to 5 years due to change in operations. It was used to feed elk in the winter and was stored in the hay shed. From the lack of rust in the pics on the under carriage one could certainly imagine it has spent its whole life there. During lack of use mice had screwed the wiring and that had to be repaired last it ran. I didn't see the condition of the rest of the interior unfortunately. It has the 360 engine and auto trans. with 800 hrs. No known mechanical issues, and this was from the guy that ran it. I gave up a little before 20, and if I had seen it I might not have. Hope whoever got it enjoys it, I think they likely got a nice cat.

Thanks again PJL for the share.

PJL

I check the GSA sites regularly. I have found the snowcats listed under bicycles, tractors and trailers and construction equipment. Takes some sleuthing. If I search for track or tracked they seem to pop up. There is still one of the Loveland Colorado Tuckers waiting to come back. It never met the reserve if my memory serves correct.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I called the contact for this cat and got some additional info and decided to head over and have a look at it the closing day of bidding. I ran into trouble on the way and didn't get to put an eye on it, but here's what I found from the contact.

The government ordered it and owned it since new. It has run very little in the last three to 5 years due to change in operations. It was used to feed elk in the winter and was stored in the hay shed. From the lack of rust in the pics on the under carriage one could certainly imagine it has spent its whole life there. During lack of use mice had screwed the wiring and that had to be repaired last it ran. I didn't see the condition of the rest of the interior unfortunately. It has the 360 engine and auto trans. with 800 hrs. No known mechanical issues, and this was from the guy that ran it. I gave up a little before 20, and if I had seen it I might not have. Hope whoever got it enjoys it, I think they likely got a nice cat.

Thanks again PJL for the share.

1BG,

Thanks for the additional information. Kudos to you for calling and getting more details. As the saying goes "Knowledge is power". I wish you had won it. Sincerely! For future reference, if you're going to bid on a 'cat, shoot me a PM.

I've never been able to reach the contact person when I've called on various items at auction. I leave a message, and never hear back. A month or so ago I was going to bid on a nice lathe coming out of a vocational school. I wanted to know if they had the capability to load it onto a trailer with a forklift. Otherwise I needed to hire a rigging company for $1K, and would have to factor that into my bidding. Left message and no response. ARRRGGGH! Just pathetic "customer service".

Scott and I already have FOUR snowcat projects to finish, and one of them is a 1544. Do we need another project? NO! But if I could have acquired it at the right price... I was interested.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I check the GSA sites regularly. I have found the snowcats listed under bicycles, tractors and trailers and construction equipment. Takes some sleuthing. If I search for track or tracked they seem to pop up. There is still one of the Loveland Colorado Tuckers waiting to come back. It never met the reserve if my memory serves correct.

PJL,

I think may folks appreciate your sleuthing and posting the links. Occasionally a snowcat comes up for auction and goes way cheap, the keyword being occasionally.

I remember a number of years ago Lyndon mentioned an upcoming auction of a bunch of Aleyska Tuckers in Fairbanks, AK. 1980's machines that were heavily optioned. He said they were all very well maintained. The expectation was they'd bring big money, after all they were worth it. The snowcat sickness hadn't fully developed in me at that point and I resisted all temptations. Sure enough... Cheap. Here's a link to the forum thread: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=48245&highlight=aleyska+tuckers

The snowcat forum member firedzr had came from that auction and I think when he sold it he did very well. Here's a link to that machine:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=75312&highlight=firedzr

As far as the Loveland, CO Tucker that didn't meet reserve, I seem to recall someone saying gsaauctions.gov will then offer it to the highest bidder at their bid price. I honestly don't know, though.

Thank you again for taking the time to post the auction links!!!

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Blackfoot Tucker,

Wasn't sure how far I would or should jump into this whole snocat thing because we don't have a cabin, it's just for backcountry fun for us, but liking it so far. Have run into a little resistance from snowmobilers/clubs which seemed odd to me, I just figured we're all out here enjoying the same snow right? But apparently not. After checking into the Idaho state regulations and federal FS wordage I'm at least willing to jump in a little deeper.

If it takes me a couple years to find what I want that's ok, the Skidozer gets us around. But as the situation arises I'll take you up on the offer. I've definitely gained an appreciation of your knowledge and insights since joining these forums.

Thanks,
1bg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Blackfoot Tucker,

Wasn't sure how far I would or should jump into this whole snocat thing because we don't have a cabin, it's just for backcountry fun for us, but liking it so far. Have run into a little resistance from snowmobilers/clubs which seemed odd to me, I just figured we're all out here enjoying the same snow right? But apparently not. After checking into the Idaho state regulations and federal FS wordage I'm at least willing to jump in a little deeper.

If it takes me a couple years to find what I want that's ok, the Skidozer gets us around. But as the situation arises I'll take you up on the offer. I've definitely gained an appreciation of your knowledge and insights since joining these forums.

Thanks,
1bg

form my research of Idaho and over the snow vehicle rules, snow mobiles require the standard sticker and that is good throughout the state and non snow mobiles are considered OHV and the requires a $11.00 sticker, also good throughout the great state of idaho, stay off of groomed snow mobile trails and use the areas designated for OHV and or over the snow vehicles

Ajay1118

that was a very nice condition tucker. I have a 1744 with 453 diesel and Allison transmission I use mine to access my lake house its amazing ... I would post some pics but I haven't had time but I will .

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Just an fyi, looks like it's headed to Mammoth. Congrats to the new owner and enjoy ?

Attachments

• 20191005_072221.jpg
    20191005_072221.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 369