• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pics of slip and work to repair.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the slip:

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 246

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Excavator w/ professional operator worked his way up slip to reach as far up the hill as possible and pull down leftover sod, rocks and trees.

Attachments

• IMG_4360.jpg
    IMG_4360.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 253

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Moved the dirt and crap from point A up the hill to point B near the bottom of the hill and then to point C on far side of trail.

Jack estimated we moved over 300 ton of dirt. :eek:
He was the same operator who used an excavator with the jack hammer to create this trail 5 years ago or so. The trail is on solid rock, and the dirt was what he called junk dirt. No good for making a road or anything.

Final two pics are the finished product. One is looking up the hill at where the slip came from, other is looking up the trail from below the slip.

Attachments

• IMG_4401.jpg
    IMG_4401.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4434.jpg
    IMG_4434.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 243

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe it's in your plan, but I'll suggest cutting the trees near the edge of the cut 'cause they'll eventually wind up laying on the trail.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good suggestion Mike and yep, that's in my plan. Pics do not show it but the hill above the slip is so freaking steep. It will be a real chore to get to those trees. And, it's just a matter of time till more of the hillside slips. So cutting those trees should delay the inevitable. But that chore will have to wait till things dry up and hopefully gets warmer.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think you need more trees - they are the only thing holding stuff up. Look for trees with big root systems.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you need more trees - they are the only thing holding stuff up. Look for trees with big root systems.
Trees do help but they are on rock. The pic of the hillside is solid rock and shale. Root systems cannot grow deep enough to hold the big trees, so the trees eventually fall pulling the hillside with them causing the slips.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You're going to have to put in some fake grass, plastic plants or something to make it look better. Think of the eyesore it is now for anyone on the river. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll probably lose sleep worrying about that.
Wish I had the funds like ODOT (Ohio Dept of Transportation) they put a nice net down loaded with seed and sod and it populates that type of hillside quickly. I'll have to let mother nature do the job for me.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Get some of those big bags of cheap contractor grass seed and toss it out when it gets warm. That crap grows anywhere.

You can get other cheap ground cover seeds if you google around but that contractor crap is usually fairly cheap at Walmart.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I may have known someone that at one time bought hillside property that had a BIG slip. Fortunately, that person was able to discretely get a shit ton of free rip rap dumped down the hillside and even got a bunch of dirt piled on top. A couple of trees, some contractor grass seed, and creative landscaping and a year later you never would have known.